Those New Dish subs who got the $100 waived, please post here and how

bookwalk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
There are so many threads discussing the various ways that forum members signed up and some of them were able to get the CSR's to agree to waive the $100 dish install for 61.5.

Would those of you, who are NEW Dish subscribers and/or ex-Voomers, please post what number you called, how many times you had to call and how you were able to get the $100 waived--and NOT by getting locals or other stations on 61.5, which should be free anyway?

Thanks.

mdonnelly said:
I thought you didn't want another dish. Or do you just want one if it's free?
You need to get another dish to get the VOOM channels on E*. E* is charging most people $100 for this.

Another FYI, if you get a current E* as a referrer, you will receive an additional $50 off of your first bill (above all other offers).

On the other threads, there are several people, on a daily basis, who are posting that they got a waiver for the $100. I have tried a local retailer and he cannot install the 2nd dish for locals--DISH has to do that.

I haven't actually booked an install (still mulling over the various plans and no time in the near future for an install). However, when I called I was able to get a waiver on the $100 fee for an extra dish because some of my locals are on the 61.5 Dish satellite. This wasn't something the CSR would acknowledge, but after some pressing she found that I was right and that I qualified for the extra dish free. I wouldn't watch the locals via satellite as I can get all of them in HD via OTA, but apparently I need the SD locals via satellite to get guide information for OTA (seems silly!).

CDH.

CDH said:
I haven't actually booked an install (still mulling over the various plans and no time in the near future for an install). However, when I called I was able to get a waiver on the $100 fee for an extra dish because some of my locals are on the 61.5 Dish satellite. This wasn't something the CSR would acknowledge, but after some pressing she found that I was right and that I qualified for the extra dish free. I wouldn't watch the locals via satellite as I can get all of them in HD via OTA, but apparently I need the SD locals via satellite to get guide information for OTA (seems silly!).

CDH.

Some of the locals for some markets are carried on the "wing" satellites - 61.5 and 148. If you have locals on either one of those satellites, DISH will install the extra dish and LNB for free. If your locals are on the 148, you could slip the installer a tip and have them point it at 61.5.

In any case, if you had Voom, you are already pointing at 61.5. I believe the LNB Voom used is not compatible with DishPro equipment but I'm not an expert on that. If so, a new LNB would be needed, but if signing up for Dish and you have locals on the wings, you should be able to get it for free.

Doug

I had to threaten to cancel service before it was even installed.. then they finally conceded to give me my free dish..

I really do not understand why they would not give you the hardware needed to view your programming selections, and they fought tooth in nail to charge me that $100.. Its just not worth it to me to pay that on top of everything.

who the hell wants TWO dishes on their house to get stuff that every other provider has been able to offer with only ONE??

This deal is still nothing to get excited about...

wase4711 said:
who the hell wants TWO dishes on their house to get stuff that every other provider has been able to offer with only ONE??

This deal is still nothing to get excited about...

Well... as of 5/2/05 no one else is carrying any of the Voom channels, which means that for now an E* two-dish solution is the only game in town.

CDH.

In another thread on this forum, someone quoted a DSR as saying that, in answer to a complaint by west coast Dish subscriber that he could not get the VOOM HD on 61.5, he could try when they move them to another satellite.

So, if that is true, then anyone who had a dish at 148 or the other positions they would no longer need their $100 dish pointing at 61.5. It seems this is a "Special" for Voomers alright--just to get them "hooked" up right away, without delay, but those not willing to go for the bait, and willing to wait, will probably already have a dish pointing in the right direction and only need 2, rather than 3 dishes!

bookwalk said:
In another thread on this forum, someone quoted a DSR as saying that, in answer to a complaint by west coast Dish subscriber that he could not get the VOOM HD on 61.5, he could try when they move them to another satellite.

So, if that is true, then anyone who had a dish at 148 or the other positions they would no longer need their $100 dish pointing at 61.5. It seems this is a "Special" for Voomers alright--just to get them "hooked" up right away, without delay, but those not willing to go for the bait, and willing to wait, will probably already have a dish pointing in the right direction and only need 2, rather than 3 dishes!
Several people on this forum have swung their 148 dish back over to 61.5 to get the VOOM channels.

I was able to get a free second dish by using a Sponsor of this Site, The DISHSTORE after Dish refused since only one of my Locals here in Indianapolis is on 61.5 with the balance being on 119. I talked to a Supervisor ( I had not done my homework and thought all Indianapolis Locals were on 61.5) but they said No and I said No, too. Very impressed with total price of programing from The DISHSTORE and even received a faxed confirmation and the new DISH Account # and install date of May 13th with the order of the DVR 942. Remember if you want this great DVR it adds about 10 days on. Print out and read this 29 page review on the 942 http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=39891
I would check out info as previously posted or map @ http://ekb.dbstalk.com/19 to see if ANY of YOUR Locals are on 61.5. If they are call The DISHSTORE! I couldn't order online from the DISHTV.com since I wanted the 942 and attempted to get DISH to split the difference since there is an additional $49.00 credit for that type of ordering. Not my fault I couldn't order. No way from DISH but received a better price from THE DISHSTORE (1-800-807-0837) and they did all the work. Great Sponsor and because of them I am joining this group today

When I got E* installed before the announcement of the addition of the Voom channels, the installer replaced my 61.5 dish with the Dish 500. The old Voom dish is sitting on the floor in my kitchen. Does anyone know if E* will give a discount or waive the install fee to get someone out to use the old Voom dish in order to get these channels since I already have a dish. It just needs to be mounted and pointed, etc.

I got it waived. Even though I have one local at 61.5, they wanted to charge me $100 for the second dish.

I asked the poor English challenged woman that if I didn't get the Voom channels but got all my locals, how many dishes would I get. She said "two sir". I said, where will that second dish point. She put me on hold. She came back and said "61.5 sir".

I said, OK, if I call a week later and add the Voom channels what happens? She said you will be charged $100 for a dish. I said, are you going to send me a 3rd dish? She said no... I said, is someone going to come out to my house and do something if I get the Voom channels a week after I'm installed. She said she thought they would come out and jack with some equipment?

I said, if you can get a technical person on the line to confirm just what would need to be done at my house if I add the Voom stuff a week after I get Dish with locals, I'll pay ya the $100.

After about 5 minutes, she gets back on and says they will waive the $100 fee for the second dish.

If you have locals at 61.5, be persistent and do not give in on the $100 second dish.

If you do NOT have locals on 61.5, best of luck to ya in attempts to get this waived.

I was told since several of my locals are on the 61.5 I would not be charged the $ 100. The CSR told me this before I even asked for the $ 100 to be waived.

Tell them you already have a dish pointed at 61.5 so you do not need another. They will then say that the Voom dish is not compatible with the 811. Then simply tell them that the Voom LNB is similiar to the old legacy lnb and that it will work with a sw21 switch. See the other post discussing this. They will not argue with you and will just waive the fee. At lease they offered to for me.

$100

i told them i want the international chanel tv5 so they install 2 dishes for me,the international dish gets the voom 10 :) i didnt pay extra $100.00 but iam paying extra $10.00 a month for the tv5 (wife's happy :rolleyes: )

I got it waived by mentioning that I was told that I would get a free 61.5 dish for my locals some which are carried on the 61.5 bird. The CSR put me on hold and came back and did the deal.

I got a DVR which I had to pay for in full $549, a second dish as I already had dish, and 1/2 price HD Pak for one year. Not too bad for an existing customer.

Since I just plunged into the order process for E*, I am still not clear if I will be getting the locals via 61.5. I have confirmed at least 3 times that I will be getting the second dish for free.

I do know that the order states that the 2nd dish be pointed to 148 but I will ask the installer to swing to 61.5 and then call Dish to get Voom10 activated. Are locals downlinked on 148 too? Is there a way to find out for a specific area? Only curious, since I don't care about getting locals via the E* sat. My Squareshooter works great in picking up the local digital channels, even in a full downpour.

My install is Friday.

Dish CSR stated that locals are ABC, NBC, and CBS. All others are minor and will not qualify for a free dish. I have called 6 or 7 time to waive the 100.oo but they won't. I will cancel my order to see if that will get me the waiver, if not oh well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)