Those with wireless joey's...........

bnewt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Shepherdsville, Ky
what kind of range do they have? There is a thread on another forum that states the range is only 4'-5', with anything over that reception problems? Is that true? IF so, that is completely useless

what kind of range do they have? There is a thread on another forum that states the range is only 4'-5', with anything over that reception problems? Is that true? IF so, that is completely useless

Where did you hear 4'-5'? Obviously that would be pointless. My WAP is in the living room next to my Hopper and the Wireless Joey is upstairs in my bedroom. I'm assuming it's a good 20 feet and mine works great.

I think he means 4'-5' with multiple obstructions in the way. But even that would be shallow. I would say minimum distance, 20' before you'd start seeing any trouble(if you were going to start seeing trouble for any reason)

Since it's 5GHz I'd say it can only handle a single wall before giving trouble. Just check your signal strength. Anything above 20-25 should be stable.

I just use my Joey 1.0 on 2.4GHz with huge antennas on the AP. Can handle 5-6 walls and go outdoors with no issues. Another benefit is you can move the dongle, and even use 12 feet of USB cord to place the dongle in an area with better reception.

In most average size homes you should be able to connect unless something in your home is causing interference or obstructing signal.

My bet is that in an open field you could get 100 yards. One of these days I'm going to try it.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

thanks for the replies......I want to replace my 722 with a hopper w/sling in a room that is approximately 15'x28', that opens into the kitchen area. That is where I want to install the wireless joey. Will the refrigerator cause any problem since it is next to the tv location?

The hopper (this only works on the hopper remote) remote runs on the same frequencies that the WAP and wireless joeys run on. A good way to check signal (if you already have a hopper installed) is to hold the SAT button in for 5 seconds and then hold the input button in for 5 seconds. The remote will give a series of tones and the 4 buttons on top will light up. If all 4 buttons on top are lit, then you have perfect signal for the wireless joey. The farther you move the remote away from the hopper the less lights will illuminate on the remote. My experience is when only 1 light stays lit on the remote, it is probably not going to be a good spot for the wireless joey. Test your "wireless joey" location using this trick to see what kind of signal you can expect to get with a wireless joey.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The hopper (this only works on the hopper remote) remote runs on the same frequencies that the WAP and wireless joeys run on. A good way to check signal (if you already have a hopper installed) is to hold the SAT button in for 5 seconds and then hold the input button in for 5 seconds. The remote will give a series of tones and the 4 buttons on top will light up. If all 4 buttons on top are lit, then you have perfect signal for the wireless joey. The farther you move the remote away from the hopper the less lights will illuminate on the remote. My experience is when only 1 light stays lit on the remote, it is probably not going to be a good spot for the wireless joey. Test your "wireless joey" location using this trick to see what kind of signal you can expect to get with a wireless joey.
The remotes are zigbee 2.4ghz devices. Wireless Joeys are 5ghz devices. The remote signal test will only give a very rough idea, but 5ghz is much worse at penetrating through walls or other solid objects.

Regardless, it's still a tool I use in the field and gives you a good idea on signal strength. Anything less than two lights and you can count on the wireless joey not working properly. Worst case scenario, the WAP doesn't have to be connected directly to the hopper. You can connect it to a HIC in a more centralized location .

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The remotes are zigbee 2.4ghz devices. Wireless Joeys are 5ghz devices. The remote signal test will only give a very rough idea, but 5ghz is much worse at penetrating through walls or other solid objects.

I have read that you can use a netgear router (forgot the model) for better results & it is acceptable by dish

I have read that you can use a netgear router (forgot the model) for better results & it is acceptable by dish
You can use a Netgear USB adapter, but it is NOT supported by Dish for Joey. Meaning, they will not address any problems you may have with it.

Reactions: JM42
Went and found the thread, no where does it say it's supported by Dish, only that Dish took back the WAP. I doubt you could ever get a Dish order setup for or find a tech that would do such a config.

The process described should work using WPS with just about any WPS enabled AC (maybe also 2.4???) router. I had hoped there was more security in there.

I'd probably use a standard Joey with dongle instead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts