Tiger OK with 'lynch' remark

cybok0

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Sha Ka Ree.
Broadcaster Kelly Tilghman has apologized. Tiger Woods has accepted it. But the Rev. Al Sharpton says it isn't good enough.

In events resembling the prelude to the fall of radio host Don Imus, Sharpton appears to be marshaling his forces for a fight with the Golf Channel, which suspended Tilghman on Wednesday for a racially insensitive statement made last week.

Tilghman uttered the remark during coverage of Hawaii's Mercedes-Benz Championship on Friday, while she and and co-host Nick Faldo were bantering about how young golfers might challenge ever-dominant Woods.

Faldo said, "To take Tiger on, well yeah, they should just gang up for a while until ..."

"Lynch him in a back alley," Tilghman interrupted with a chuckle.

Tilghman is a far cry from Imus, the morning show host who was canned after calling the Rutgers University women's basketball team "nappy-headed hos." Unlike the disc jockey, who is known for his off color humor and outspoken remarks, she has no history of stoking racial tensions.

But Sharpton says it is the word -- not the person or their history -- that matters. In a Wednesday interview, he compared Tilghman's statement to calling for a woman to be raped or for a Jewish-American to be sent to a gas chamber.

Tiger OK with 'lynch' remark, but Sharpton ready for battle - CNN.com

She was also suspended for two weeks.

The Press Association: Tilghman suspended for 'lynch' comment

If somebody pays sharpton, he will STFU, haven't they figured this out by now?

20070226sharpton.jpg

Al Corleone. !protest

;)

Tiger loves his cute blondes. Of course he is okay with it. She could've called him every slur in the book. He would invite her over in the middle of the night to "apologize" personally to him and his wife. :D

this is just like the time i was calling the world chess championships. all i said was kasparov was losing focus and could probably use some time away from the game at a concentration camp. well you dont hear me calling chess matches anymore.

seriously, what the woman said does not seem to have been said with any malice or intent. if anything it implies shes probably not a racist because she doesnt link lynching and african americans (who btw were not the only ones lynched). there is also a disconnect because lynchings were not "back alley" affairs. they were highly public events which attracted hundreds and were the subjects of popular postcards. perhaps if they were in the back alleys we could feel less ashamed about ignoring the history of these events for so long. edumacate yourselves if you choose.

Lynching in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

this is just like the time i was calling the world chess championships. all i said was kasparov was losing focus and could probably use some time away from the game at a concentration camp. well you dont hear me calling chess matches anymore.

seriously, what the woman said does not seem to have been said with any malice or intent. if anything it implies shes probably not a racist because she doesnt link lynching and african americans (who btw were not the only ones lynched). there is also a disconnect because lynchings were not "back alley" affairs. they were highly public events which attracted hundreds and were the subjects of popular postcards. perhaps if they were in the back alleys we could feel less ashamed about ignoring the history of these events for so long. edumacate yourselves if you choose.

Lynching in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ROFLMAO!! Great use of double meaning. As for the young lady in question, I think this was just an unfortunate choice of words. Non-issue in my book, since Tiger is OK with it.

This just dawned on me. (Sorry, my coffee hasn't kicked in yet). You were "calling the world chess championships"? Was this on radio, TV, or just for the live audience? I'm sorry, but that had to be as exciting as watching paint dry. What did you talk about between moves? That had to make for a lot of "fill time". :D

By DOUG FERGUSON, AP Golf Writer 1 hour, 5 minutes ago

Golfweek magazine replaced the editor responsible for illustrating the current cover with a noose and apologized Friday for its depiction of a Golf Channel anchor's use of "lynch" in a comment about Tiger Woods.
ADVERTISEMENT

"We apologize for creating this graphic cover that received extreme negative reaction from consumers, subscribers and advertisers across the country," Turnstile Publishing Co. president William P. Kupper Jr. said. "We were trying to convey the controversial issues with a strong and provocative graphic image. It is now obvious that the overall reaction to our cover deeply offended many people. For that, we are deeply apologetic.

Turnstile is the parent company of Golfweek.

The company said Dave Seanor, the vice president and editor of Golfweek, has been replaced immediately by Jeff Babineau.

A copy of the Jan. 19 cover was removed from the magazine's Web site Friday morning.

Kelly Tilghman, in her second year as anchor of PGA Tour coverage on Golf Channel, was suspended for two weeks because of comments she made during the second round of the Mercedes-Benz Championship, when she and analyst Nick Faldo were discussing young challengers to Woods.

Faldo suggested that "to take Tiger on, maybe they should just gang up (on him) for a while."

"Lynch him in a back alley," Tilghman said, laughing.

Seanor said in an interview Thursday night that he took responsibility for the cover, which showed a noose against a purple sky and the title, "Caught in a Noose." The subtitle said, "Tilghman slips up, and Golf Channel can't wriggle free."

The magazine devoted four pages of news and commentary on the topic, including a column on the back page supporting Tilghman and asking that the controversy be kept in context.

In an editorial, the magazine explained why it felt the Tilghman story deserved so much attention. It was accompanied by a cartoon that showed the Rev. Al Sharpton, who demanded Tilghman be fired, holding a noose and offering it to a pair of Golf Channel employees staring in a hole of thin ice, presumably where Tilghman had sunk.

Reaction to the noose drew a harsh rebuke from PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem.

"Clearly, what Kelly said was inappropriate and unfortunate, and she obviously regrets her choice of words," Finchem said in a statement. "But we consider Golfweek's imagery of a swinging noose on its cover to be outrageous and irresponsible. It smacks of tabloid journalism. It was a naked attempt to inflame and keep alive an incident that was heading to an appropriate conclusion."

It was not clear if Seanor had been fired.

Babineau, 45, has been with Golfweek for nine years, including roles as editor, deputy editor and senior writer.

"We know we have a job ahead of us to re-earn the trust and confidence of many loyal readers," Babineau said. "Our staff is very passionate about the game. Our wish is that one regretful error does not erase more than 30 years of service we've dedicated to this industry."

This was the most assinine thing I ever saw. I hope they fired him.

Golfweek magazine replaced the editor responsible for illustrating the current cover with a noose and apologized Friday for its depiction of a Golf Channel anchor's use of "lynch" in a comment about Tiger Woods.
ADVERTISEMENT

"We apologize for creating this graphic cover that received extreme negative reaction from consumers, subscribers and advertisers across the country," Turnstile Publishing Co. president William P. Kupper Jr. said. "We were trying to convey the controversial issues with a strong and provocative graphic image. It is now obvious that the overall reaction to our cover deeply offended many people. For that, we are deeply apologetic.

Turnstile is the parent company of Golfweek.

The company said Dave Seanor, the vice president and editor of Golfweek, has been replaced immediately by Jeff Babineau.

A copy of the Jan. 19 cover was removed from the magazine's Web site Friday morning.

Kelly Tilghman, in her second year as anchor of PGA Tour coverage on Golf Channel, was suspended for two weeks because of comments she made during the second round of the Mercedes-Benz Championship, when she and analyst Nick Faldo were discussing young challengers to Woods.

Faldo suggested that "to take Tiger on, maybe they should just gang up (on him) for a while."

"Lynch him in a back alley," Tilghman said, laughing.

Seanor said in an interview Thursday night that he took responsibility for the cover, which showed a noose against a purple sky and the title, "Caught in a Noose." The subtitle said, "Tilghman slips up, and Golf Channel can't wriggle free."

The magazine devoted four pages of news and commentary on the topic, including a column on the back page supporting Tilghman and asking that the controversy be kept in context.

In an editorial, the magazine explained why it felt the Tilghman story deserved so much attention. It was accompanied by a cartoon that showed the Rev. Al Sharpton, who demanded Tilghman be fired, holding a noose and offering it to a pair of Golf Channel employees staring in a hole of thin ice, presumably where Tilghman had sunk.

Reaction to the noose drew a harsh rebuke from PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem.

"Clearly, what Kelly said was inappropriate and unfortunate, and she obviously regrets her choice of words," Finchem said in a statement. "But we consider Golfweek's imagery of a swinging noose on its cover to be outrageous and irresponsible. It smacks of tabloid journalism. It was a naked attempt to inflame and keep alive an incident that was heading to an appropriate conclusion."

It was not clear if Seanor had been fired.

Babineau, 45, has been with Golfweek for nine years, including roles as editor, deputy editor and senior writer.

"We know we have a job ahead of us to re-earn the trust and confidence of many loyal readers," Babineau said. "Our staff is very passionate about the game. Our wish is that one regretful error does not erase more than 30 years of service we've dedicated to this industry."

This was the most assinine thing I ever saw. I hope they fired him.

ADVERTISEMENT

"We apologize for creating this graphic cover that received extreme negative reaction from consumers, subscribers and advertisers across the country," Turnstile Publishing Co. president William P. Kupper Jr. said. "We were trying to convey the controversial issues with a strong and provocative graphic image. It is now obvious that the overall reaction to our cover deeply offended many people. For that, we are deeply apologetic......

Question - I use what would be called a "noose" to tie my boat at local marinas when I visit. Will I be a target for this Bullsh!t if the wrong person sees it? :confused:

Things are getting too PC.

Question - I use what would be called a "noose" to tie my boat at local marinas when I visit. Will I be a target for this Bullsh!t if the wrong person sees it? :confused:

Things are getting too PC.

It's the context. With the history of all "white, non- jew" country clubs the 'noose" means ONE thing. Seeing a knot on a boat is a totally different thing and anyone giving you crap is a moron.
noose_narrowweb__300x356,0.jpg

To have a slip of the tongue or to just say something stupid is one thing but the have a cover is a premeditated act to generate sales. It blew up in their faces.

Last edited:
To have a slip of the tongue or to just say something stupid is one thing but the have a cover is a premeditated act to generate sales.

Or to generate attention, like the term "nsaspook" for instance.

It seems not to be what is said that is the entire issue, but who says it that's important.

Last edited:
Or like a premeditated act that some find offensive, used to draw attention to themselves. Like the term "nsaspook" for instance.

It seems not to be what is said that is the entire issue, but who says it that's important.

What's wrong? Too PC for ya.

Of course it's "who" says it that's important. That's why a movie like Blazing Saddles" is so funny. If Slim Pickens character was handing him a big sausage we would think something totally different.
Blazing Saddles Photos

What's wrong? Too PC for ya.

Of course it's "who" says it that's important. That's why a movie like Blazing Saddles" is so funny. If Slim Pickens character was handing him a big sausage we would think something totally different.
Blazing Saddles Photos

:D I'm just saying people are too sensitive today. The past is the past, and if we want things to change, we have to move on and not try to capitalize on it.

Making a big deal over the original remarks may have been too sensitive, but that cover was worse than the remarks, that started all this. Crude and offensive, and totally in bad taste. A poor way to raise circulation of what is otherwise a fine magazine.

Making a big deal over the original remarks may have been too sensitive, but that cover was worse than the remarks, that started all this. Crude and offensive, and totally in bad taste. A poor way to raise circulation of what is otherwise a fine magazine.

I agree, it was over the top.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts