Time for DIRT to step in and save the day

dare2be

SatelliteGuys God
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 15, 2011
FL
But first, enjoy this little novel...

Please wait while we find a representative to assist you...Welcome to DISH Network Chat.
Sam (ID: FG1): Good Evening.
Sam (ID: FG1): How may I help you today?
Me: I've lost all the free 3-month programming from My Programming. HBO, Cinemax and Showtime were added back in early September via chat, and Epix was added in early October. Now none of them show on my current "My Programming" list. It looks like all were removed on 10/26, which is less than 2 months for HBO/MAX/SHO, and less than 1 month for Epix.
Sam (ID: FG1): I’m very sorry to hear that you are having an issue. I’d be happy to resolve that for you.
Sam (ID: FG1): For security purposes, would you please verify the last four digits of the Social Security Number on the account?
Me: xxxx
Sam (ID: FG1): Thank you.
Sam (ID: FG1): Let me check that for you. Please give me a moment.
Sam (ID: FG1): Thank you for your patience.
Sam (ID: FG1): I see that you have the free promotion of 'HBO,Cinemax and Showtime on your account which was going to end on 11/25/2011.
Me: They don't show on my current charges list, and I can't tune any of the channels, however.
Sam (ID: FG1): I am really sorry for that.
Me: My Program change history shows they were removed on 10/26
Sam (ID: FG1): I'm going to send an authorization signal to your receiver so that it recognizes the channels and makes them available to you again. This should take 1-2 minutes.
Sam (ID: FG1): I am sorry but I can see here that you have the free promotion until 11/25/2011.
Sam (ID: FG1): Please let me know if you get back the channels now.
Me: Here is what the "Current Charges" section of the website shows:
Me: America's Top 250 69.99
DVR Service 6.00
Protection Plan 6.00
HD 250 Free ($10/Mo) 0.00
Multi-Sport w/Redzone 7.00
Starz - 30th Anniv 0.00
Sam (ID: FG1): Thank you for the information.
Me: I'm still getting "Programming Not Authorized" 013 message on HBO, for instance.
Sam (ID: FG1): I am sorry.
Me: Even though Epix doesn't show on my current charges list anymore, I can still tune channel 380. Strange.
Sam (ID: FG1): Have you done the reset step of receiver, unplug the receiver for 10 seconds and plug back in?
Me: doing it now.
Sam (ID: FG1): Thank you.
Sam (ID: FG1): Please unplug your receiver from the outlet and leave it unplugged for 15 seconds. Plug it back in, you may have to power the receiver back on. This may take up to 2 minutes.
Sam (ID: FG1): Please let me know if any changes happen.
Me: Why would it be a receiver problem when "My Account" on the website shows that they were removed?
Me: It is still booting...
Sam (ID: FG1): I see that on your account they are available until 11/25.
Me: This is what I see on my My Account / My Billing page:
Me: Programming Change History (Last 90 Days)
Date Action Programming
10/26/11 Removed HBO - 3 Mo ($16/Mo)
10/26/11 Removed Cinemax - 3 Mo ($13/Mo)
10/26/11 Removed Showtime - 3 Mo ($13/Mo)
Me: still acquiring signal...
Sam (ID: FG1): I think you are watching the bill date as on 10/26/2011.
Me: receiver is back. I still can't tune channel 300, and the My Channels list in my guide goes from 299 to 329.
Me: None of the HBO/MAX/SHO channels are there.
Sam (ID: FG1): I am really sorry for that.
Sam (ID: FG1): I'm going to transfer your chat to an Advanced Technical Support agent for additional troubleshooting. They may need to replace your equipment or send a technician. I appreciate your patience, please hold.
Sam (ID: FG1) has left the session.Please wait while we find an agent from the CH60 - Tier II Technical Support department to assist you.You have been successfully transferred to Corey (ID: HZ2) with the Tier 2 Tech department.Corey (ID: HZ2): I will be happy to assist you today. Please give me a moment to access your account and review your conversation with the previous agent.
Me: ok, thanks.
Corey (ID: HZ2): Currently you do not have HBO, Showtime or Cinemax on your account.
Corey (ID: HZ2): Would you like to add them?
Me: That's what I've been saying. My programming change history shows they were removed on 10/26, but they were supposed to last for 3 months free until 11/25.
Corey (ID: HZ2): I'm sorry but once the promotions have been removed they cannot be added back on.
Me: Why were they removed? I didn't request it.
Corey (ID: HZ2): They were most likely removed through your online account.
Me: And I was not notified either...I just happened to notice they were no longer available.
Me: I wasn't logged into my online account 2 days ago.
Corey (ID: HZ2): I'm sorry but the promotions were removed and there are no notes that it was done by an agent.
Me: What about Epix? It doesn't show on my "Current Charges" list either. I'm afraid that it will go away next billing cycle too, and it's supposed to last until the end of the year.
Corey (ID: HZ2): Epix is still on your account.
Me: It does show on my last billing statement though, along with the HBO?MAX/SHO
Corey (ID: HZ2): EPIX is still on your account and will not be removed until you remove it.
Me: Ok, thank you.
Corey (ID: HZ2): Is there anything else I may assist you with?
Me: No, that's all.
Corey (ID: HZ2): Thank you for using DISH Network chat and have a great night!
Thank you for visiting DISH Network. You may now close this window.Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

...and as usual, DIRT cleans up the mess in record time. Thanks Mary!!!

My questions is why does CSR tell him once the promotion programming is removed it cannot be added but DIRT I assume from comments above can add it back. They need to make all CSRs know what can and cannot be done and transferring said customers to higer levels that can do such things rather than I'm sorry we can't do anything.

That second level CSR seemed less than helpful and probably shouldn't have that position.
Why is "advanced tech support" involved in programming/account issues ?

And I loved it.... "let's replace your receiver" to solve this problem !! I have to believe at this point that this is a way of "closing" or "resolving" a support ticket and is ridiculous. Could it be a receiver problem..... Yes, I acknowledge it could be (smart-card related).

I humored the CSR by following the "reset the receiver" knowing full well that it wasn't it. I cringed at the notion of "sending out a tech", but I continued to play along because I knew I was going to end up with good material to share here and that DIRT was my safety net.

Last edited:
It's strange because they also dissapear from the list where it shows the charges for the month.
But I still have the channels, just not listed :p
Regarding the entries not showing up on the website, according to Mary, "they are doing computer upgrades and I think it is just a glitch"

To combine two cliches, it was a perfect comedy storm of errors.

Dirt and their scrubbing bubble to the rescue.
too bad it doesn't reach the really grimy stuff and wipe out most of the incompetent people in Dish.. :)

Maybe Dish IRT needs to use the "Deep Penetrating" Scrubbing Bubble cleaner..

You've been around here long enough, why wouldn't you just skip the chat and go right to the DIRT instead??

Because then we would not have this thread to entertain us. And we also need to show that without DIRT this is the stupidity we would have to deal with.

Plus, I wanted to give the chat group a chance and not bother DIRT with such a seemingly simple task. I've had decent results in the past from the chat CSRs...prior to this, I would have rated them just a notch or two below the DIRT team. Not anymore.

The most egregious thing about all this? The constant "sorry" statements. (Go ahead, post you're sorry... :) )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts