Time to give Charlie some props

Nothing is "definitely up", as you put it. DirecTV and their management stated about 18 months ago that they were tightening credit checks and would start bringing in less risky subscribers. Which means Dish Network is the recipient of those risky subscribers.

We can deride DirecTV for signing up about 450,000 subscribers less than Dish Network over the past fifteen months. However, the prior four years were pretty much a dead heat between the two companies.

Here are some 1st qtr finacial numbers to back up Greg's statement:

D* E*
Revenue $3.5B $2.64b
ARPU $73.40 $64.17
Net Income $336mil. $157mil

Here are some 1st qtr finacial numbers to back up Greg's statement:

D* E*
Revenue $3.5B $2.64b
ARPU $73.40 $64.17
Net Income $336mil. $157mil

Ive seen the numbers, most have. What they have to do with the post you are quoting which is his reply to me I have no idea, considering it was about net subscribers(not income :rolleyes: ) which E* has been adding more of the last 5 qtrs than D*.

I understand, elwaylite, but realize that Curtis0620 is pointing out exactly what I was talking about. DirecTV made the realization over 18 months ago that they no longer wanted "low-end" subscribers; instead, DirecTV said they'd try to concentrate on acquiring higher-end subscribers and manage churn. And from DirecTV's financials, it seems they are on the path to accomplishing that goal.

They've been trying to grow their net income, not their subscriber base.

Remember that all subscriber acquisition costs (SAC) comes right out of the profits. So even by adding a ton of subscribers in any given period, it affects the net income. The only way to manage that is to have less churn. Hopefully, both providers can manage their churn in the face of the triple-play bundles and the looming telephony television offerings.

I understand, elwaylite, but realize that Curtis0620 is pointing out exactly what I was talking about. DirecTV made the realization over 18 months ago that they no longer wanted "low-end" subscribers; instead, DirecTV said they'd try to concentrate on acquiring higher-end subscribers and manage churn. And from DirecTV's financials, it seems they are on the path to accomplishing that goal.

They've been trying to grow their net income, not their subscriber base.

Remember that all subscriber acquisition costs (SAC) comes right out of the profits. So even by adding a ton of subscribers in any given period, it affects the net income. The only way to manage that is to have less churn. Hopefully, both providers can manage their churn in the face of the triple-play bundles and the looming telephony television offerings.

Ah, I understand the point. Ive had too much coffee today, firing off in all directions.:shh

Props to Charlie. Also props to Ruppert. Both companies had outstanding first quarters.

Im curious to see how net sub additions are effected (if at all) in the coming qtrs by D*'s flood of ads and E*'s lack there of. I do agree with your statement that their brewing hd race is good for us.

And trust me, I give props to the Dish Network executive management team. They've done very well keeping up with the demand in new subscribers. They've done well with increasing their revenues. And they've managed to do this while putting out the lawsuit fires such as the distant network service and TiVo patent litigation. And we now know about some HD plans thanks to Scott that we hadn't heard before.

Sounds like the ship is on the right course to me!

Well something is different- DTV is making money. That was a rare thing under GM/Hughes. Whether it's due to "subscriber management" or other factors, they appear to have turned a corner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)