Time travelling receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

flyznest

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Tucson
Every time I reset my Fortec Star Lifetime receiver I have to reset the time... Is there a battery or something inside the box that might need to be replaced? This really isn't that big of a problem though.

The bigger problem is the fact that even after I set the clock, it wanders by about 1-2 minutes per day... slow. This would tell me that I possibly have a bad RTC or bad crystal or something. 1 minute a week would not bother me... but to wander that much in a day I find a little ridiculous.

don't the sats have a time feed of some sort to correct off of?

Are there other things in the receiver that a malfunctioning RTC might screw up?

Thanx in advance for any info
CJ

well when you reset your recevier you shouldnt be surprised it resets the clock. the same thing happens to my microwave, stove, vcr, and alarm clock lol.

the fact the clock runs slow/fast is a known issue with the FLU.

well when you reset your recevier you shouldnt be surprised it resets the clock. the same thing happens to my microwave, stove, vcr, and alarm clock lol.

well... I suppose "reset" was a poor choice of words. What I meant to say was "power cycle". Being that my receiver has an embedded computer and compositing engine I suppose I was expecting it to be slightly more intelligent than the common household appliance... silly me? lol.

the fact the clock runs slow/fast is a known issue with the FLU.

ahh... there is the problem.. it is a design or manufacture flaw or something... none the less it is out of my control.. I suppose I will just have to live with it for now.. do you know of a thread somewhere that might go into a little detail on this problem?

I will try leaving it on THC or Biography tonight and see if it indeed does do a time correction.

My FTA receiver has no real RTC. If I have it to auto set, it goes crazy, due to the wierd times on FTA transponders. I just leave the clock unset. I don't even think my provider receiver does, but they are consistant in sending their time in UTC with marginal error, and fixing an offset relavent to my time zone an DST.

fortec mercury II

on my fortec mercury II. If i turn the master switch off in the back. It looses time.

Josh

My Coolsat 8000 and Neusat 9000 set the time automatically on certain channels/transponders. My Pansats- 9200 and 2500a, do not.
But they all seem to keep accurate time once set. :)

ummm

My Neusat 9000, Coolsat 8000 and all of my Dreamboxes have the correct times displayed using either TP settings or manually setting the time. They never fail to have the correct time displayed. The 7020 Dreambox keeps better time than any receiver I have ever owned. It is always right on the money! :)

I have a Neusat 6000 SP and if I set the time manually it's fine but using TP time it goes nuts. It needs to stay COOL also..

Any of the Pansats I have go nuts on TP time or Manually setting if I don't keep them cool.

I learned that was pretty much Firmware and HEATING.

If the receivers are cool they seem to keep better time. That is just something I noticed over time and may not play a part of any problems you are having or anyone else.

I have a Pansat 2500 and 2700 and they both keep time ok as long as they stay cool. Both have factory firmware...I have a Pansat 250sm and keeping it cool seems to help the clock keep better time but it still gets off after a couple of days. It keeps better time with 3rd party firmware than factory...or in my case that is how it seems..

Fortec receivers do not have a battery, every time you power cycle them they will loose there mind (clock setting):rant:
Bob

My Pansat 2700A and 9200 never lose any time. Neither does my Diamond 9000. My trusty old Fortec LTU lost a few minutes a week from what I remember of it.

I hate having the time screwed up from the satellite data stream, since it seems they never match my time zone. So I never have it setup that way.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)