Timers, Auto Correction

Skytrooper

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Baden, Pa.
Don't remember if this has been discussed before. When I had Direct TV, it would automatically compensate for a program starting early and ending late. It is inconvenient when setting timers to add minutes so no programming is lost. I have lost the endings of many programs because of this. Maybe Dish can correct this in one of their updates.

Side note. Speaking of updates, my son stays up late. Keeps asking "What's going on every nite?" I say "Updates son." "Every nite?" "Yes son" "That stinks" "Yes son."

And to add to this, started watching Breaking Bad again from the DVR. The Hopper recorded repeats. The title labeling is totally off. It makes it very hard to find the programming. Who's fault is this? The info from AMC or the Hopper?

The defaults for the Hopper is 1 minute early and 3 minutes late. You can change the defaults with Yellow Button->DVR Defaults to begin earlier and end later. This would force back to back programs to to use another tuner.

This would force back to back programs to to use another tuner.

Which is the SINGLE dumbest thing of all about this turd...

DISH has no clue how to properly code basic, robust DVR functionality, and long ago pissed of everyone that could help them do so. (and over a half billion dollars poorer)

I don't see how they are half a billion dollars poorer proposed by what you said.

When directv says they have 18M subs, does that include DTVLatin? The South American subs?

Ok, I see where you are coming from with that. Now keep in mind that TIVO sued basically everyone, except directv. So I wouldn't exaggerate, that they alienated them.

Yeah, and TiVo did not sue DirecTV (as stated above, just about the ONLY MVPD it did NOT sue and Tom Rogers himself stated in an interview that any MVPD who did not want to work with TiVo for licensing, he would sue, especially those who won't even entertain talks about it) only because DirecTV required such in the contract for a--then--new gen DirecTiVo, the now known THR22. DirecTV really jerked around TiVo so badly on that agreement. The THR22 is a sad joke.

As far as the SETTLEMENT between Dish and TiVo, it really was what Ergen wanted all along. He got the disputed TiVo tech AND additional TiVo tech with a LIFETIME LICENSE for the payment, NOT what Rogers wanted, which was a far more lucrative license per every Dish DVR with increases annually. The tables had turned and things were looking very bad for TiVo because the higher court chided the lower court in Tyler, TX where the trial was held, and further ruled that there would pretty much have to be a new trial for Dish's workaround/fix to the disputed TiVo tech. Rogers, blinked, and stated "I didn't want to wait for the Supreme Court," as TiVo was near financial death and desperately needed the cash Dish had on the table for so long.

Also, the jury of the original trail in TX never cited the code, but only made the leap of presuming that Dish reversed engineered a TiVo intentionally left by TiVo at Dish and was subsequently lost.

Just another note. While trying to watch Breaking Bad again tonite, how in the heck can one hour of Space Cowboys of a two hour episode of Breaking Bad be included? It's titled as Breaking Bad. This is very irritating when trying to watch this show in episode order. There is absolutely no way to watch this show in episode order. Every two hour episode has a duplicate recording. A lot of fast forwarding. Sorry for my ranting. I just want to watch this as it was titled. Impossible to do. What am I paying all this money to Dish for?

...automatically compensate for a program starting early and ending late. It is inconvenient when setting timers to add minutes so no programming is lost. I have lost the endings of many programs because of this. Maybe Dish can correct this in one of their updates.
Don't hold your breathe. Dish's DVRs have had this issue for almost 10 years (my experience, starting with Dish around '05).

As far as the SETTLEMENT between Dish and TiVo, it really was what Ergen wanted all along. He got the disputed TiVo tech AND additional TiVo tech with a LIFETIME LICENSE for the payment...
Is there any sign that Dish has used the 'tech' that they paid so dearly for though ? Doesn't appear to be. We haven't seen any major changes in how the DVRs operate.

Is there any sign that Dish has used the 'tech' that they paid so dearly for though ? Doesn't appear to be. We haven't seen any major changes in how the DVRs operate.

The Hopper Un-delete feature is one. Dish (or Ergan) also said after a similar settlement with TVGuide/Gemstar (a case that Dish WON, but a higher court ordered a re-trial, and a few weeks after that order, Dish and TVGuide/Gemstar came to a now TiVo-like settlement BEFORE the TiVo/Dish settlement) that they would begin to use the TVGuide Tech they now have a lifetime license to use. I can't recall now, but I do remember that not long after, Dish rolled out a feature ODDLY something
TVGuide/Gemstar had. They pay for it; they use it.

I don't recall a patent related to that, let alone it being something that TiVo could have patented.

The TiVo tech Dish got was NOT limited to the disputed trick play or "time warp" patents. In fact, TiVo also got some patented Dish/Echostar tech in the settlement not necessarily limited to Dish's counter-suit. The story I read just said "some" Dish/Echostar tech for TiVo, while it stated that Dish was to get ALL TiVo tech. Of course, TiVo got lots of cash (chump change for Dish/Echostar), so Ergen wasn't about to give TiVo ALL Dish/Echostar tech.

This would be consistent with the TVGuide/Gemstar settlement when Dish got ALL TV Guide tech beyond the disputed few EPG patents. Although, I don't think TV Guide/Gemstar did not get any Echostar tech, just cash. I don't know how all the other defendants and I mean ALL the other MVPD's in existance that TvGuide/Gemstar also sued, including DirecTV, settled or went to court.

TiVo desperately needed the cash, and it patents are nearing end, so what if TiVo gives Dish/Echostar all its tech because Tom Rogers also needed a claim of "victory" and after getting the first payment by wire within days, was ready to move on to the other MVPD's with this settlement in hand and extract more cash and better for TiVo deals, which is exactly what Tom did. The settlement was good for TiVo, and GREAT for Dish. Both sides quite happy to move on, although Charlie Ergen did say that the next time he and Rogers meet, Tom ought to pay for the lunch (they have both known each other for years, and the suit did not damage their personal relationship). Ergen and Rogers considered the whole matter "business" and Ergen referred to it as just "plain disagreement" on the claim.

Keep in mind, only MVPD's who did not offer TiVo in some way, such as DirecTV, Comcast, and a few smaller ones, were sued, including Verizon and AT&T, as per Tom Rogers public statement that if an MVPD was not going to talk to TiVo, nor eventually partner with TiVo, he would sue for patent infringement. By this logic, only MVPD's who have deals with TiVo don't use TiVo patented tech, while all those who do not have deals with TiVo do illegally use TiVo patented tech. Or, more precisely, EVERY MVPD is in violation of TiVo's patents, UNTIL they ink a deal with TiVo. It would be great if some wealthy person would finance and examination of TiVo code and and the old Dish code and have a number of coders examine them and post the findings. Maybe Dish/Echstar did illegally use TiVo patented tech, but given then entire story, highly doubtful. Frankly, TiVo's were far to somewhat superior to any of the disputed boxes (50X, 510, 721, 522, 625, 921, and 922's--all boxes after the DishPlayer 7100 but before the ViP's). I found the trick play of some of the "offending" Dish boxes to be NOT like TiVo, or more accurately not as good as one experienced on a TiVo box of that time. Pretty sure it was Kummer/Broadcom code by the (less than TiVo) performance :).

BTW, to all others, where is old Dave Kummer, anyway? He was robbed by TiVo. :).

Last edited:
Just got fired up about this again. Breaking Bad Binge Bonus. The ending of every recoding is cut off. Is it that hard for Dish to fix or am I expecting too much?

Just got fired up about this again. Breaking Bad Binge Bonus. The ending of every recoding is cut off. Is it that hard for Dish to fix or am I expecting too much?

The downstream of Dish is approximately 12 seconds behind real time/Dish clock time. This becomes a problem if a show ends with action right up to the very last second because when the clock turns to to :00 or :30 or what ever the end time is scheduled to be, the last 12 seconds is chopped of because the stream is 12 seconds behind real time.

One channel where this is NOT a problem is BBC America because BBC America's shows end with credits rolling and announcements about 30 - 15 seconds before the next minute, so the only thing that gets chopped of is the last seconds of credits and announcements. That's the only channel I can safely leave at 0 min late. For just about all the other channels I have to use 1 min late.

This problems has been discussed in other threads and really irritates some. I understand, but for now, the 3 tuners of my Hoppers have allowed me to not have the problems others do. I do think Dish should find some solution. However, if Dish were to change their EPG clock to match the sat stream, it would mess-up our timers for the OTA channels. So, for now, Dish's response if for you to set your timers to 1 min late.

Reactions: Skytrooper
Thanks about the info. I used to have it set to one minute late. But I think what would happen was say if two of the same show was back to back it would use two tuners and part of the first show would be on the second show. I believe one time while recording another show at the same time, I was not able to change channels because now all three tuners were being used til that minute was up.

Unactivated ViP211k For Dish Pointing/Tweaking

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)