Timers messed up on my 622

bfootdav

Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Hey everyone. Wednesday night my 622 lost power a couple of times during a severe thunderstorm. On Thursday I noticed that the guide data was missing. I made the machine download the data again and on the second attempt it worked. However, there is a problem. All my timers are still there but they're messed up. For instance an older episode of Sanctuary is set to record on Monday but not the actual new episode. In fact the new episode doesn't show up in the timer at all i.e., it's not being skipped, it's just not there at all. If I select that episode in the guide then the DVR takes me to the screen to create a new timer. It's as if the Sanctuary two hours early is on a different timer than the other one.

With other timers some of them are set to record correctly, others not at all, and yet others to record non-new episodes (even though they're set to record only new episodes). I've forced another guide data download and rebooted the machine again but so far nothing has fixed the timers.

As an experiment I added Sanctuary again and the new version of the timer is set to record correctly (the new episode) and the existing timer is the same as it was before. So now there are two timers for Sanctuary. I then deleted the old Sanctuary timer and the new one is still there and still correct.

I can go through and re-add/delete all these timers but obviously that will be rather tedious. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

I should mention that recently I was changed over to the Eastern Arc and I have the latest version of the software (downloaded like five days ago).

Thanks.

You did not give a location. Could it be that you live near a time-zone change, but that would only be 1 hr. While I think of it check in Menu+6+1+1 for your zip code--I think Dish ignores that and sets it from their tables. Or do a Menu+6+3+counters+page_downs to read what it thinks you zip is.
-Ken

It's got the correct zip code in both spots. Here's something interesting, I just checked the timers again and the ones for Friday and Saturday seemed to have sorted themselves out. The rest of the week is still all crazy. Maybe the computer is working through it all?

Hard to say if losing the power/thunderstorm damaged it, could be. But the problem is almost certainly related to the guide not being correct. Sometimes that means a pending hard drive failure. Sounds like you have tried most everything. If the guide is downloaded correctly now, I would delete all the bad timers and put in new ones and see what happens.

I did delete one bad timer and added back in and it seems fine. The problem is that I have over 90 timers and was hoping to avoid the rather tedious task of deleting/re-adding so many timers. I had suspected that this was going to be my only option but I was hoping someone had a magic fix.

How many days out are you from the closest BAD timer? There was a similar thread about a week ago, and the closer it got to the actual recording, they corrected themselves.

How many days out are you from the closest BAD timer? There was a similar thread about a week ago, and the closer it got to the actual recording, they corrected themselves.

I didn't see that thread, but it gives me hope. The nearest bad timer is Sunday. As I mentioned above the timers on Friday and Saturday worked themselves out early this morning. I had noticed this behavior before with some Adult Swim programming (non-new episodes being scheduled to record but then fixing itself as the day approached) and am hopeful the same thing will happen here. The difference is that the episodes of a bad timer that aren't scheduled to be recorded aren't even showing up in the timer. My concern was that the issue was more serious than just a wrong episode being scheduled. In any case I'm going to wait another day to see if Sunday's timers don't fix themselves before starting the task of manually re-adding all of them.

I believe that other post was related to wrong information in the description, leading to shows not shown as being set to recorded. Those did indeed fix themselves when the time got closer, the correct information was in the guide, and the timer was correctly set by itself.

But still KAB has a point, and waiting for Sunday is a good idea to see what happens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)