Tired of Blackout Risks

Dished Off

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
Scranton
The new TV season starting with all of the new shows headed to cable and ota networks alike. Has anybody else gotten tired of worrying about the 'risk' involved in putting your time and subscription money into an expensive monthly package only to still have to worry about blackouts? I have and my response was to resort to cord shaving. That is I have downgraded to the cheapest package 'The Welcome Pack' until some kind of regulation is made or at least some type of A La Carte regime is set up that is 'Blackout Proof.' I can switch providers but the fear and worry that my $120/mo investment will be plagued by a continous threat of random blackouts does not make such an investment worthy anymore. That is after two months of paying for high end subscription service ($240) a blackout hits taking out my favorite show that I invested the money in. I feel it better to just wait the extra year or two for the shows to show up on a streaming provider. The content will be old at that point, but at least I can feel comfortable in making a large investment in that there is less a chance that there will be a blackout.

It would be nice if there was some kind of warning system in place to let us know what channels are likely to get blacked out several months in advance. The provider knows the experation dates of the contracts. Yet, these are not readily made available to the subscriber. These blackouts come as a surprise. We get blind sided by them. It is the fear of the surprise that makes me afraid to put money down like I used to.

Why does the FCC and Congress insist on allowing this? Can we file somekind of antitrust suit against Congress or the FCC? It would be great if such a thing were possible. They are very much responsible for this as is both the providers and the broadcasters. However. They allow this! It is being done because the FCC and Congress turn a blind eye and alter the laws to suit the pleasures of the special intrests of both parties. They are invited to lavish parties. They all Golf togeather yet publicly they put on a show and PRETEND to be enemies. In any other aspect of law this would be considered corruption. The system is being used against us. I pay my electric bill, I expect my lights to stay on and to live a blackout free lifestyle. Why cant I do this with cable or Dish Network?

Last edited:
Reactions: jamesjimcie
What you are asking is near impossible. Almost 98% of contract negotiations are settled and signed deals long before the contracts expire. To announcement several months in advance would do nothing more then scare people when again 98% of the contracts are renewed without issue.

I can also guarantee you that if you cut the cord and move to a streaming service, that the same kind of disputes will also happen there as well.

Its just a game of chess... by both sides. And as you said the FCC and Congress won't do anything about it as its called Free Enterprise, and no company should be forced to do business with a company they dont want to do business with.

Just be happy you still have the choice to switch companies if you so choose to get the programming you want.

Well if black outs are a worry, you can use ota and a ota Tivo, to record up to 4 shows at one time and you can avoid blackouts at least on the network channels. That is if you can afford a new Tivo without a monthly fee.

Well if black outs are a worry, you can use ota and a ota Tivo, to record up to 4 shows at one time and you can avoid blackouts at least on the network channels. That is if you can afford a new Tivo without a monthly fee.
Used Series 3 & 4 TIVO with LIFETIME subscriptions are still affordable.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I have decent reception through an OTA antenna so I'm going to get a digital USB converter once they get into stock again. I called Dish and they couldn't give me an estimate as to when. Since this integrates with the Hopper I'll have guide and recording capabilities

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congress created this problem in the first place in 1992.

Correct.....This is what the lobbyists on K street due.....
It never helps us, it lines our politicians pockets to get reelected the next time around!
It happens on both sides of the isle, and depending who's interests are at stake to how much we the people lose....

People should look into this stuff, because there eyes would open, and would stop this mess.....
Corporations are people?.. What a flippen joke!

In fairness, Congress had no idea how this would eventually develop and turn into a huge consumer rip-off. It passed with bipartisan support over George HW Bush's veto. I doubt it was explained to Congress how the big networks would blackmail the cable/sat companies with blackouts when they were supposed to supply their broadcasts for free in their local areas.

I doubt if the politicians will change this as the big networks are too powerful and they contribute too much money to campaign funds and the "Charitable" foundations that they might set up.

This could easily be solved it really was 'Free Enterprise". Let a station withhold their service until their price is met. But also let the satellite/cable provider shop for outside stations that are asking for less money. This is 'Fee Enterprise' and adds completion where there is none now. If the local station had to compete, they would be forced to be competitive. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like neither the FCC or Congress is interested in a competitive market that would help the home viewer.

Its just a game of chess... by both sides. And as you said the FCC and Congress won't do anything about it as its called Free Enterprise, and no company should be forced to do business with a company they dont want to do business with.

I doubt if the politicians will change this as the big networks are too powerful and they contribute too much money to campaign funds and the "Charitable" foundations that they might set up.
Which is why the real problem was the 1996 Telecom Act that de-regulated media ownership, which also had bi-partisan support and would have survived a veto. Broadcast network owners not only own way too many local stations but also cable networks as well and some are even MVPDs, blurring the lines and creating too powerful monstrosities.

Which is why the real problem was the 1996 Telecom Act that de-regulated media ownership, which also had bi-partisan support and would have survived a veto. Broadcast network owners not only own way too many local stations but also cable networks as well and some are even MVPDs, blurring the lines and creating too powerful monstrosities.

And here we are now with 6 media empires that control over 90% of what we watch, see, and are told.....The perfect scenario for brain washing!
http://www.businessinsider.com/these-6-corporations-control-90-of-the-media-in-america-2012-6 (from 2012)

Wouldn't really matter much if the stations weren't able to charge for re-transmission.

Remember, cable had been re-transmitting for a long time before they had to pay the stations.
MVPDs should be able to pick up the signal off the air and re-transmit it (with only bandwidth/compression, ie no changes to the commercials) within the DMA freely.

Wouldn't really matter much if the stations weren't able to charge for re-transmission.
I know this thread is in response to an existing local channel dispute, but the problem is much larger than that. Especially when the local channel group in question also owns at least 1 other cable channel (and is part of the contention in the dispute). My post applies to the entire media ownership/delivery landscape.

MVPDs should be able to pick up the signal off the air and re-transmit it (with only bandwidth/compression, ie no changes to the commercials) within the DMA freely.
So if I wanted to start my own radio station, I should be allowed to record songs off the radio and play them?

Contrary to what some believe, local broadcasts are available FREE to most people. You want your local channels on the same box so you don't have to change inputs on the TV or you can record? Pay up.

True. I have season tickets myself for the Detroit Tigers.

However historically Dish had more disputes than any other provider.

Actually att is starting to catch up with locals disputes..just not alot of coverage on satellite guys..a dish dispute usually gets a sticky and a front page announcement ..the att/Directv ones seem to get swept under the rug

....the att/Directv ones seem to get swept under the rug
They just settled a dispute a few days ago with local channels that I didn't know were blacked out. (In addition to the channels listed in a thread here were blacked out)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)