Tired of "Digital Service"

Fancydog

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
SW Missouri
Springfield MO DMA. Dish broadcasts Fox on 005-00 in HD, and CW on 015-00, SD only, and provides the program info in the guide. However, the SAME stations from the OTA tuner in my 722, Fox on 49-1 and CW on 33-2, show up only as "Digital Service" in the guide.
Calling Dish CS gets you the stock answer that the stations dont provide the info, which is BS.
Why cant Dish provide the guide info for the OTA stations that they carry via satellite? Direct TV does!
This has been a problem for years, and it STILL hasnt been corrected. WHY?

The OTA channels appear properly in my guide with programming in my market. It is properly done by Dish in most markets. Maybe delete the locals and rescan?

There's no use getting worked up over it. Either they will, or they won't. The make no money off of OTA listings, so the incentive is low. PBS in Phoenix has 3 subchannels. We get no data for any of them (including the main channel). There is one religious channel with 5 subs and we get data for all 6. There is no method to the madness, just consider yourself lucky to get the data you have. If you want more, get a stand-alone TIVO and pay their god-awful price for TV listings (cause that's all you get).

There's no use getting worked up over it. Either they will, or they won't. The make no money off of OTA listings, so the incentive is low. PBS in Phoenix has 3 subchannels. We get no data for any of them (including the main channel). There is one religious channel with 5 subs and we get data for all 6. There is no method to the madness, just consider yourself lucky to get the data you have. If you want more, get a stand-alone TIVO and pay their god-awful price for TV listings (cause that's all you get).
In other words, "You'll get nothing, and like it!" Thanks, Judge Smails.

Below is a listing of OTA Program Guide Data that DISH currently has uplinked for your market as you can see 49-01 & 33-02 are missing so a rescan will NOT bring any data that doesn't exist.

OTA Program Guide Data:
3-01KYTV TSID 0x067B, Subchannel 01 (DISH Channel 5202/7222)
3-02KYTV2 TSID 0x067B, Subchannel 02 (DISH Channel 14361)
10-01KOLR TSID 0x067D, Subchannel 01 (DISH Channel 5201/7221)
21-01KOZK TSID 0x067F, Subchannel 01 (DISH Channel 5205/7226)
21-02KOZK2 TSID 0x067F, Subchannel 02 (DISH Channel 14350)
21-03KOZK3 TSID 0x067F, Subchannel 03 (DISH Channel 14368)
27-01KOZL TSID 0x0681, Subchannel 01 (DISH Channel 5204/7224)
33-01KSPR TSID 0x0683, Subchannel 01 (DISH Channel 5200/7220)

The only thing you can do is contact a DIRT (Dish Internet Response Team) member to submit a ticket for the issue to the appropriate department.

I thought they had the option to use the guide data provided by the OTA station?
Nope they do not. You have to rely on the OTA Guide Data that Dish has uplinked for that specific market. When its not uplinked the user receives the "Digital Service" message on those channels. PSIP data provided from the station is not supported on any recent Dish receivers (VIP Series, Hopper, etc).

Last edited:
DN provides the sub-channel program info for the PBS station, (21) and for the NBC station (3), so that takes care of that argument.

13 million customers X 5$ a month increase = $60,000,000 more in Dish coffers EACH MONTH! And they cant provide a decent guide? Please tell me how Direct TV can do it and Dish wont. And they already HAVE the program info, because they provide it for the stations they broadcast via satellite, but not for the exact same stations recieved OTA. And you want me to just roll over and take what I get?
Not gonna happen.

And the fact that my 5 year old Dish Pal (digital to analog converter box) and my el cheapo bedroom TV can provide the guide info for ALL channels recieved OTA, but my 722 can't REALLY ticks me off. So the info is available both from Tribune and OTA, but Dish cant be bothered to uplink it? But hey, give us another $5 a month, we need more money. BullHockey.

Mmmm nope. Not for the sub-channels. And, 33-2 would be considered a sub-channel.

I'm surprised they don't provide it for 49-1, though.

Not true. Dish provides the program info for the PBS station's 2 sub-channels, and for the NBC station's 1 subchannel.
I also get the program info for an out-of-market PBS station that I get via antenna, and it has 2 sub-channels, all with program info.

13 million customers X 5$ a month increase = $60,000,000 more in Dish coffers EACH MONTH!

Lets at least get the facts correct as some continue to think everything is free. No, Dish does not get $60,000,000 more in their "coffers." What amount it is none of us know, it could actually be nothing. That's right it could all be going to increased costs to Dish with no more of a profit margin. We don't know.

As to getting the OTA guide, I agree 100% Dish could and should provide the sub channels.

DN provides the sub-channel program info for the PBS station, (21) and for the NBC station (3), so that takes care of that argument.

Takes care of what argument? The answers were 100% correct - Dish does not routinely provide sub channel guide data. No one said never. Probably in most markets some are populated and some are not. I get the guide data to This TV and Antenna TV, one or two others, but not to all sub channels in Ct. Same in Tampa, some I do, some I don't.

Last edited:
Lets at least get the facts correct as some continue to think everything is free. No, Dish does not get $60,000,000 more in their "coffers." What amount it is none of us know, it could actually be nothing. That's right it could all be going to increased costs to Dish with no more of a profit margin. We don't know.

As to getting the OTA guide, I agree 100% Dish could and should provide the sub channels.

You're right, we dont know exactly what percentage of the price increase is for programming, thats a closely guarded secret. But I doubt that all of it went to programming since those increases are usually cents per customer.
I'm tired of being milked for more bucks, and STILL have to deal with a sub-par guide, and a close-is-good-enough attitude.

Not just programming, other costs like all of us encounter. But in the end, they could probably just provide all the sub channel guides..... I think most of us agree.

I also don't understand why Dish does have WWLP's (Ch 22 Springfield Mass) sub channel guide uplinked, I still do not get it on my Dish receiver. (I do get it on my TV)

Not true. Dish provides the program info for the PBS station's 2 sub-channels, and for the NBC station's 1 subchannel.
I also get the program info for an out-of-market PBS station that I get via antenna, and it has 2 sub-channels, all with program info.
I didn't say they didn't provide it for some sub-channels. I was pointing out that Mike was in error when he said that Dish does it correctly for most markets. They do not. They omit many or most sub-channels in most markets.

Takes care of what argument? The answers were 100% correct - Dish does not routinely provide sub channel guide data. No one said never. Probably in most markets some are populated and some are not. I get the guide data to This TV and Antenna TV, but not to other sub channels in Ct. Same in Tampa, some I do, some I don't.

I cant speak for other areas, only mine, and Dish provides sub-channels for some stations, (PBS, NBC) but not for all. My area gets "Digital Service" for some OTA stations, one is a sub-channel, one isnt. All I want is an accurate guide, for ALL the stations.

I cant speak for other areas, only mine, and Dish provides sub-channels for some stations, (PBS, NBC) but not for all. My area gets "Digital Service" for some OTA stations, one is a sub-channel, one isnt. All I want is an accurate guide, for ALL the stations.
We all want that. So, why are you arguing with us?

Are transfers going to be available any time soon?

hopper Favorite Question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)