Tis the season for snow on the dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mekp21

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Nov 28, 2004
Carson City, Nevada
Since its the season for snow in a good part of the country. Was wondering what some people are using/doing to prevent signal loss from snow on the dish? :D

mekp21 said:
Since its the season for snow in a good part of the country. Was wondering what some people are using/doing to prevent signal loss from snow on the dish? :D

Where do you live? I live in SW Michigan in a snow belt area and have never had a problem. I have also lived in the Keewenaw Peninsula in the U.P. and also never had a problem (D* dish then). The only time I had a problem was when I lived in northlern L.P. and had ice buildup on the dish. But that was only about an inch thick and the sun melted it the next day.

Edit: for the ones that don't know. U.P.= Upper Peninsula, L.P.= Lower Peninsula

other than an ice storm, snow doesnt do much. I actually did a test with 3 inches of snow on a 18" dish (it was aimed at 61.5) and all my TP's were low but still a stable signal :)

I used a moderate coating of silicone spray on the dish a few years back and snow won't stick. Works great! :) Before that, when it'd snow 3" or more, it'd cover the dish too thickly and I'd have to brush it off to get a signal back. After spraying it, no more problems. :)

We sometimes get a little snow build up around here :) Once in a while it will build up on the dish and lnb's. Our dishes are mounted on our storage shed in the back yard. We have the handle from our roof rake with a big ball of soft towels around the end and we just go brush the snow off the dish and lnb's when necessary. As I said... it really isnt very often but if we get one of our "famous" snowstorms it will build up.

like stargazer said, I've always heard of Pam cooking spray. In alabama its very rarely need though. Have you all ever seen the dish heater kits that you can buy. I though that would be neat for someone who lives in the extreme north like close to the Canada border.

I live in Wisconsin. In 7 years I've had problems from snow/ice just two times. One was during a blizzard which dumped 15" on us. And the other time was an ice storm, that coated everything in thick ice.

I've heard of people having more trouble in places like North Carolina, where the dishes are aimed higher, making the dish's plane more parallel to the ground, so it can catch snow. NC has had some big snows over the past couple of years.

So I won't be doing anything, again, to prepare my dish for winter.

Live in Denver, CO and haven't had any problems. Although it probably helps that the way my dishes are aimed keeps any snow from collecting on them in the first place.

SatinKzo said:
Where do you live? I live in SW Michigan in a snow belt area and have never had a problem. I have also lived in the Keewenaw Peninsula in the U.P. and also never had a problem (D* dish then). The only time I had a problem was when I lived in northlern L.P. and had ice buildup on the dish. But that was only about an inch thick and the sun melted it the next day.

Edit: for the ones that don't know. U.P.= Upper Peninsula, L.P.= Lower Peninsula

I'm in west Michigan and we get an average of 80" snow every year. I have yet to have problem with signal when the snow gets on the dish. It is installed at a point where I could reach it with a broom to brush it off. I was thinking of trying the Cooking spray trick this year, just to see how it works.

I live in the Carson City, NV area and when I get anything over an inch I lose signal and I normally brush it off with a broom but now I have a dish pointed at 129 and its on the crest of my roof and I don't wanna climb up there in the snow! :no

lol As I said earlier... I don't have to do it very often. I remember a few years ago we got 7 feet of snow in a 2 day period.... that year I had to do it. I think I specifically remember 2 other times. I have had my dishes for about 7 years so I don't think that is bad.
I had asked about the dishcover a few years ago and the guy I spoke with said they don't sell them because moisture collects behind them and causes problems. I have no idea if it is true or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)