Tivo and Dishnetwork

briansanders007

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 24, 2003
Anyone use a stand alone tivo and dishnetwork? I kinda like the full blown features in tivo, plus I can record my OTA stuff with it. I'm curious as to how well it works or if it's worth it. Does it change the channels good or does it cause problems with a tivo guide and dish guide?

It works, but the ir blasters don't always change the channels everytime. The picture is a little degraded with the Tivo. The picture is not as good as from a dish dvr: they show the picture the same as from the origional broadcast. I used a 301 and a series two tivo and it works fine. Just wished they would actually combine the Tivo software with an actual dish dvr.

I've only had my Series 1 Tivo and Dish 301 hooked up for a week but it seems to work fine.
No missed channels yet (much better that my Motorola cable box). I am getting a weird hum thats driving me nuts. No one else can hear it but me. It's probably a patch cable routed too close to a power cord or something. Manually selecting the channels on it was a real treat though. Took me a LONG time.

Thanks for the replies! I'm glad it does seem to work. Now I'm debating if I want to shell out the tivo monthly fee.

I have had my Series I TiVo connected to Dish 2800 for 2 1/2 years without a problem. The picture quality is as good as the direct picture without the TiVo. I record everything on better quality. The second from best. Never had a channel changing problem, but do have a fort(tin foil) in front of the 2800, so the 6000 remote does not change the 2800's channels. Good Luck.

The tin foil blocks the remote frequency so it doesn't change the channel on un needed devices. Otherwise it may change the channel on several boxes.

briansanders007 said:
Thanks for the replies! I'm glad it does seem to work. Now I'm debating if I want to shell out the tivo monthly fee.

If you plan on keeping it for awhile, but the lifetime service. I've had them together for about 3 years, no real problems other than the 6000 fiasco from a couple of months back. If you go to the TIVO forums, there is a thread which tell the best TIVO codes for each Dish receiver.

Sparkman said:
briansanders007 said:

If you plan on keeping it for awhile, but the lifetime service. I've had them together for about 3 years, no real problems other than the 6000 fiasco from a couple of months back. If you go to the TIVO forums, there is a thread which tell the best TIVO codes for each Dish receiver.

That's a good point. After 2 years or so is when you would make up for the lifetime plan. I will check those out. thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)