This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

TiVo Comcast DVRs?

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
My dad has 2 Motorola HD DVRs. I saw a Reuters story about Comcast getting ready to roll out TiVo DVRs, but they were rather vague, because it gave me the impression that EXISTING customers would be getting this service, but if that were true, wouldn't that mean that we would all have to swap in our current boxes to get this TiVo version instead? I'm no DVR expert, but I thought TiVo wasn't just a software thing, where they could just install it on any given DVR. Could someone please try and explain to me what exactly this whole deal is about? It would be kinda cool to have TiVo at my dad's, but I'm not sure where all of this is leading.

No new box needed. The Tivo software runs on the Moto box. They also send you a tivo remote that works with the moto box. From what I understand when its available in your area you call CS tell them you want to upgrade to tivo software and they send the software to your box. There is also an additional charge for the tivo software on top of the DVR fee.

The TiVo plan was announced 30 months ago.

Here's a story about the release of the software from the Hollywood Reporter.

[Hollywood Reporter is a clickable link]

Note that the bit about DIRECTV not selling TiVo service isn't entirely true. They offer it to existing customers and don't charge extra for it as compared with non-TiVo DVR service.

Well that sounds like crap to me.. given the hike they just gave us for DVR service I think they should give us the TiVo for free (I mean not more than the regular DVR charge) because now its almost the same cost as a TiVo monthly subscription.