TIVO lawsuit update

The Broadcom solutions found in Dish Network's DVRs are 266-300MHZ MIPS CPUs rated at 300-450 DMIPS. These are not high-performance CPUs by any means....
Don't compare the speed of a MIPS CPU to the typical clock speed of "personal computers". These CPUs do fairly dedicated tasks and don't need to be running at ghz speeds.

Don't compare the speed of a MIPS CPU to the typical clock speed of "personal computers". These CPUs do fairly dedicated tasks and don't need to be running at ghz speeds.
Right, and any use of the Broadcom's dedicated hardware DVR functions using software constitutes infringement, as found in the jury trial and reaffirmed by the Appeals Court.

Without the dedicated hardware acceleration of DVR functions, what are you left with? A relatively slow CPU.

Did Read this wrong?? Does it not say the harware portion was overturned which means echostar need not worry about harware(chips, harddrive and any semiconductor portion TIVO claimed? Sound like a simple software change which on my 722 already seems to have happened. It is a win as far as a DVR shutdown goes IMO. The software can be changed at 3 in the morning while I sleep... if more changes are needed. The Lawsuit was bogus to begin with but the TIVO lawyers talk doublespeak like no others! TIVO does not and should not control any harddrive type recording tech because they did it first! Imagine if Ford said I built the first car so noboby else can build one, I am the final say in autos!!!!! They list can go on and on.

WE got this memo at work today.

"We are pleased the Federal Circuit found for us on Tivo's hardware claims, but are disappointed in the Federal Circuit's decision on the software claims. The decision, however, will have no effect on you because EchoStar's engineers have developed and deployed `next-generation' DVR software for our DVRs. This improved software is fully operational, has been automatically downloaded to your DVR, and does not infringe the Tivo patent at issue in the Federal Circuit's ruling.

You can continue to use their DVRs without any interruption or changes to the award-winning DVR features and services provided by DISH Network.

We intend to appeal the Federal Circuit's ruling affirming the $94 million jury verdict."

Yawn..... This means nothing to us end-users. Our DVRs work today and will continue to work tomorrow just fine. I thought that point was hammered in endlessly in the past. THERE'S NO WAY IN HELL DISH WILL SHUT OFF DVRS OVER THIS.

Reminds me of "There's no way in hell Dish will shut off DNS over this".

I never said they wouldn't shut off DNS, though I'm sure some did. This, in my opinion, is a whole different ballgame. I did say that Dish would buy TiVo before they'd allow their DVRs to be shutdown.

At least by tossing the hardware patent, all Dish has to do is alter the software. That's a hell of a lot easier to do than change the hardware.

According to DISH current software is non infringing. DISH won something but clearly not all they wanted.

since no one has seemed to have seen this i will post it again.
I GOT THIS MEMO TODAY AT WORK.
"We are pleased the Federal Circuit found for us on Tivo's hardware claims, but are disappointed in the Federal Circuit's decision on the software claims. The decision, however, will have no effect on you because EchoStar's engineers have developed and deployed `next-generation' DVR software for our DVRs. This improved software is fully operational, has been automatically downloaded to your DVR, and does not infringe the Tivo patent at issue in the Federal Circuit's ruling.

You can continue to use their DVRs without any interruption or changes to the award-winning DVR features and services provided by DISH Network.

We intend to appeal the Federal Circuit's ruling affirming the $94 million jury verdict."

Doesn't Directv own or is partners with TIVO.?
DirecTV has an agreement with TiVo until February, 2010. That allows them to use TiVo patents without threat of litigation.

TiVo has similar deals with Comcast and Cox.

Dish Network, Verizon FiOS, and Time Warner are all subject to litigation.

:D
DirecTV needs not worry about Tivo when that agreement expires DirecTV now owns Replay TV which has their own patents.

I would like to see Echostar and Tivo work together imagine the DVR they could build if they worked together.

Add a few hundred hd channels and some sporting packages and dish could actually give directv a run for there money. Imagin all of that in full rez hd too! :) Somebody pinch me before I dream on. :D

DirecTV needs not worry about Tivo when that agreement expires DirecTV now owns Replay TV which has their own patents.

I would like to see Echostar and Tivo work together imagine the DVR they could build if they worked together.

I don't think this is Charlie's intent. E* has been saying "better than Tivo" for a while, the timing seemed to go with the new software downloads, I was wondering how come Tivo was quiet about this talking. Maybe the current E* DVR is better than Tivo?

Of course it might be all bluffing and next thing you know they walk up together announcing a partnership and start suing everyone else.

I'm still confused as to how this whole mess kills one company and not another. I had a Microsoft WebTV based Dishplayer in 2000 that seemed to predate Tivo with ITS functionality.

Ow, my head hurts.

Did Read this wrong?? Does it not say the harware portion was overturned which means echostar need not worry about harware(chips, harddrive and any semiconductor portion TIVO claimed? Sound like a simple software change which on my 722 already seems to have happened. It is a win as far as a DVR shutdown goes IMO. The software can be changed at 3 in the morning while I sleep... if more changes are needed. The Lawsuit was bogus to begin with but the TIVO lawyers talk doublespeak like no others! TIVO does not and should not control any harddrive type recording tech because they did it first! Imagine if Ford said I built the first car so noboby else can build one, I am the final say in autos!!!!! They list can go on and on.

The thing is, they DIDN'T do it first. Replay did. They beat tivo to market by a couple of months.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts