TIVO vs E*

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The statement from Dish was posted last night in this thread.

Ah, I just found it (it was so teeny that I missed it the first time).

Also, the SG front page only has a link to the court decision, and does not even mention that Dish has made a statement.

PS So, is there anyone in retailer business who might know how the number of installed 522s and 625s compares to the 192,000 exceptions allowed ? (I ask that specific question because those are the only ones that are considered "current" models, the others are discontinued.)

We are all painfully familiar with Paice; it has been debated ad nauseum for several weeks.

Respectfully, not everyone seems to be as familiar with it as they should be, as jacmyoung continues to post inaccurate information about it. I only posted the link because I didn't want to be accused of just making up facts without sourcing them. While that does seem to be reasonably common here, I am trying to keep the record straight, so I'll be sure to source all of my facts, so others can tell what the truth is.

By the way, I just read the recent post of a summary of the patent, and as a software engineer, it seems like it would not be unusually difficult for a digital video software team to come up with DVR software that did not use the methods described in the patent. The patent is highly specific. It's not unlikely that the patent covers the simplest or most convenient way to do it, but certainly not the only way.

Thus, the court decision seems to simply say that Dish's workaround of loading new software into the named infriging DVRs (all the MPEG2 ones) was not legally acceptable.

The concept of "colorably different" covers things like the JVC brand of EchoStar receivers that were identical but had a JVC brand and a JVC model number, and so were only cosmetically different.

A DVR that does HD and MPEG4 is more than colorably different, you only have to look at TiVo's own marketing brochures to see that.

So, any claim that VIP DVRs are a violation of the patent requires a new lawsuit (despite what the anti-Ergen fanboys might like to believe).

Respectfully, not everyone seems to be as familiar with it as they should be, as jacmyoung continues to post inaccurate information about it. I only posted the link because I didn't want to be accused of just making up facts without sourcing them. While that does seem to be reasonably common here, I am trying to keep the record straight, so I'll be sure to source all of my facts, so others can tell what the truth is.

We have 70 pages of the record in this thread. Not needed.

And realize that your efforts to call out jacmyoung is raising all sorts of bells. So, enough. You don't like what he has said. Fine. Move on.

While TiVo will likely introduce the VIPs in the next round, they must prove the VIPs are only colorably different both in hardware and software, it wouldn't be easy at all because the hardware part had already been viewed by the appeals court to be non-infringing, so I agree the VIPs should be safe.

The appeals court said no such thing. The hardware claims were remanded back to Folsom.

As for the VIPs being safe - given what was in the testimony that Dish tried to have stricken regarding the software on those boxes, it sure seemed to me it was more likely than not that the VIP software would be considered "not more than colorably different", though we'll have to see what Tivo does on either front (since they would have to file a motion for either).

I suspect Charlie will finally come to his senses and simply negotiate a license that will cover all DVRs and make this all moot - in about 3 weeks.

A DVR that does HD and MPEG4 is more than colorably different, you only have to look at TiVo's own marketing brochures to see that.
The difference has to be in the context of the infringed claim. There is no mention of MPEG or resolution in the infringed claim.

One thing that the TiVo can do that I would like to see is the ability to transfer shows between DVRs over ethernet. I know you can dump it to a drive and move it with Dish, but it is nice to be able to start the transfer and be able to watch it as it moves. Dish DVRs do a lot of things better than TiVo, I would not really want the TiVo software on the Dish DVR. What I would like to see is the TiVo software/patents licensed and Dish picking up some of the good features.

By the way, I just read the recent post of a summary of the patent, and as a software engineer, it seems like it would not be unusually difficult for a digital video software team to come up with DVR software that did not use the methods described in the patent. The patent is highly specific. It's not unlikely that the patent covers the simplest or most convenient way to do it, but certainly not the only way.
If the Dish Network DVRs had general purpose Intel or CPUs, then a workaround could be found with minimal effort. But these DVRs are constrained by SoCs with performance comparable to 133-300MHz Celeron processors. They are only able to power a Linux-based DVR because they have accelerated functions built into hardware. There are only so many ways one can use these functions in software. These functions cannot be changed, and the processor may not be powerful enough to support more complete workarounds in software.

Given the definitions construed by the Court, I personally do not believe it is possible to design non-infringing software given the designs and performance limitations of the CPUs found in existing DVRs. There are newer, faster DVR SoCs every year, so before too long -- probably well before the "time warp" patent expires in 2018 -- I think it may be possible to produce a non-infringing DVR. But newer, faster hardware does nothing for the millions of boxes already deployed.

Thus, the court decision seems to simply say that Dish's workaround of loading new software into the named infriging DVRs (all the MPEG2 ones) was not legally acceptable.
Remember, this litigation is from 2004 and the original jury verdict was back in April, 2006.

Dish Network's MPEG-4 DVRs are not named because they did not exist. The decision only lists the older models by name, because those are the only models that existed at the time. However, the decision also includes the statement, "and all other products that are only colorably different...in the context of the Infringed Claims."

The concept of "colorably different" covers things like the JVC brand of EchoStar receivers that were identical but had a JVC brand and a JVC model number, and so were only cosmetically different.

"Colorably different" refers to the infringed claims, not the products or their features. The additions of MPEG-4 and HD are irrelevant; all that matters is whether the product is "colorably" different with respect to the infringed DVR claims.

Thus far, Dish Network has not been able to demonstrate any non-infringing software. All of Dish Network's Broadcom-based SD DVRs were found to infringe. If the DVR functions operate in the same way on the Broadcom-based HD DVRs, then they infringe too. If there is no settlement, TiVo will soon argue that the hardware and software interactions on the Broadcom-based ViP622/ViP722 DVRs are no more than "colorably different" from the Broadcom-based SD DVRs.

Dish Network's expert witness already testified back in February that the VIP DVR software was similar to the new software for the infringing DVRs. Dish tried unsuccessfully to have that testimony removed from the record.

Last edited:
And realize that your efforts to call out jacmyoung is raising all sorts of bells.

What does this have to do with anything? I've been lurking here for years and am flabbergasted at the stuff jacmyoung gets away with, while seeing others that point out obvious factual errors get banned almost immediately.

Opinion is one thing and if you don't like someone's opinion (even jacmyoung) - too bad. As you say, move on.

But stating opinion as fact is totally different and no one should get a pass on that.

It is my opinion that jacmyoung has an extreme pro-E* and anti-Tivo bias, for whatever reason and that's his right. But there are going to be a lot of people coming here when the magnitude of Folsom's order comes apparent to get accurate information and I would think the mods would want to see that is the case, rather than to be seen as habitual defenders of someone as loose with the facts as jacmyoung seems to have been.

...Thus far, Dish Network has not been able to demonstrate any non-infringing software.

E* has not been able to convince Judge Folsom the new software in those 8 named DVRs may no longer infringe, not "any software." There are so far two DVR software products at issue, one used in the 8 named DVRs in the past, one used in the same 8 named DVRs now. Two is not "any."

All of Dish Network's Broadcom-based SD DVRs were found to infringe. If the DVR functions operate in the same way on the Broadcom-based HD DVRs, then they infringe too.
Not enough, TiVo must prove both the software and the hardware of any new DVRs are not colorably different. In the current case, TiVo did not have to prove anything about the hardware, the hardware did not change.

If there is no settlement, TiVo will soon argue that the hardware and software interactions on the Broadcom-based ViP622/ViP722 DVRs are no more than "colorably different" from the Broadcom-based SD DVRs.

That is correct if the judge's order is not stayed.

Dish Network's expert witness already testified back in February that the VIP DVR software was similar to the new software for the infringing DVRs. Dish tried unsuccessfully to have that testimony removed from the record.

Of course the DVR software are always similar because they do similar things, that is not to say they all infringe. But you are correct, TiVo will likely introduce the new DVRs in the next round unless E* gets the appeals court to stay the order.

Last edited:
Dish gets temporary stay

Apparently, Dish has a temporary stay. It's my understanding that this are pretty much automatic, giving the CAFC time to read the rulings/filings, so not a big surprise.

I think they got a stay the last time within a day too.

Would love to see what possible grounds they think they have for appeal.

"We are pleased that the Federal Appeals Court in Washington temporarily stayed the district court's order in the Tivo litigation. DISH Network customers can continue using their DVRs. We believe that we have strong grounds for appeal."

It is my opinion that jacmyoung has an extreme pro-E* and anti-Tivo bias, for whatever reason and that's his right. .
I didn't even know Jacmyoung had E* service. Last I knew He had 4-5 HR 20's or 21's and he did the big Triple A Deal and D* was his main service. SO I'm not sure about your above statement.:cool:

Wow, you just can't help it can you? How about you go READ the Paice decision and then talk? Here's a link for you, or anyone else you has the time. It turns out I can't post that link until after this post, as I have to have 3 posts. It will follow immediately. Jury rate in Paice was $25. Post-judgement rate was $98. $98 is 3.92 times $25. For the math challenged, that is more than triple. FYI, for those who are interested, the judge is not bound by the jury rate for post-judgement or even triple. The judge must make a determination, based on the changed legal footing of the situation and determine a fair rate. Amado came up with 3X, Paice was 4X, TiVo could be 5X. We just don't know at this point, but somewhere between 3X and 4X is a reasonable assumption, based on recent legal precedent. This will happen, and Charlie will be lucky to get an ongoing royalty agreement with TiVo for anything even close to $3/box/month (2X) on every DVR he owns at this point. He could have easily gotten $1.50/box/month 4 years ago, but he chose the dark side, so it's going to cost him now.

Jury's formular was surprisingly low according to Judge Folsom, but Judge Folsom initially used such jury's formular anyway, the patentee appealed because they wanted $250 (while Toyota wanted $17), and the appeals court vacated Judge Folsom's rate decision not because Juge Folsom applied the jury's formular, rather that Judge Folsom failed to explain where the $25 came from. The $25 was not the jury rate rather made up by Judge Folsom, otherwise the appeals court would not have questioned where it came from.

On remand, Judge Folsom again heard arguemnts from both sides, and decided the rate was $96. That was Judge Folsom's final decision on the rate in Paice.

Now in this case, TiVo wanted $2.25, E* said $1.00, Judge Folsom said $1.25. Unless TiVo appeals the $1.25 decision, the $1.25 will be used, yes it can be raised in the future, but not above the $2.25 TiVo asked for.

TiVo can of course ask for $5 if E* wants to settle with TiVo, the settlement does not have to conform to Judge Folsom's rate, but still E* can object to the court if TiVo's asking rate is unreasonable, but regardless, I am saying if TiVo asks for $5, E* likely will just replace the DVRs, it might cost less that way.

Now in this case, TiVo wanted $2.25, E* said $1.00, Judge Folsom said $1.25. Unless TiVo appeals the $1.25 decision, the $1.25 will be used, yes it can be raised in the future, but not above the $2.25 TiVo asked for.

Only true regarding the additional damages awarded.

For the sanctions, who knows. But even Folsom implied that $2.25 was a good starting point, so if you use the Paice logic, $5 isn't out of the question.

And then there is the ongoing license, should Tivo be so inclined. The new DTV rate is assumed to be close to $2.25 - no way Dish will get the same from Tivo now.

Another Statement from Dish Network and Echostar

DISH Network and EchoStar Statement Regarding Tivo

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – June 3, 2009 – DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) and EchoStar Corporation (NASDAQ: SATS) issued the following statement regarding today’s ruling in EchoStar Communications Corporation vs. Tivo:

“We are pleased that the Federal Appeals Court in Washington temporarily stayed the district court’s order in the Tivo litigation. DISH Network customers can continue using their DVRs. We believe that we have strong grounds for appeal.”

Jury's formular was surprisingly low according to Judge Folsom, but Judge Folsom initially used such jury's formular anyway, the patentee appealed because they wanted $250 (while Toyota wanted $17), and the appeals court vacated Judge Folsom's rate decision not because Juge Folsom applied the jury's formular, rather that Judge Folsom failed to explain where the $25 came from. The $25 was not the jury rate rather made up by Judge Folsom, otherwise the appeals court would not have questioned where it came from.

I'm sorry, I can't just let this go. You're deliberately confusing the issue, in my opinion, to try and confuse others. Look, this is real simple. There were 2 rates: Pre-judgement infringement and post-judgement infringement. The first was set by the jury, $25. HJF did say he thought that rate was low, but he went with it anyway because nobody objected. The second rate was the post-judgement rate and it was initially set at $25 as well. HJF used the same jury rate for this, but failed to explain why he did so. This is what was remanded. He then did the analysis and came up with a number that was 4X the original jury rate for post-judgement infringment. Period. That's it. 4X was the number: not 3X, nor 2X, but 4X. The Monty Python fans will get that last sentence.

Wrong again, but thanks for playing. Again, think about pre-judgement infringement versus post-judgement infringement. Your above comments are for the former, not the latter. The former is in the books and was decided yesterday. The latter is what is being discussed here, and any analysis of what rate would be fair at this time would be radically higher than the rate set yesterday. The rate that was set yesterday was based on an assumed negotiation that would have taken place in 2006. Clearly, the legal footing has changed significantly at this point and if you will read HJF's decision from yesterday you will see that he says as much in the ruling. I won't post a link, because I got in trouble for it last time, but most of you can find it, I think.

TiVo can of course ask for $5 if E* wants to settle with TiVo, the settlement does not have to conform to Judge Folsom's rate, but still E* can object to the court if TiVo's asking rate is unreasonable, but regardless, I am saying if TiVo asks for $5, E* likely will just replace the DVRs, it might cost less that way.

Any private settlement negotiations will not be part of a court filing and there won't be any objections to the court about whatever rate TiVo asks for. If HJF is forced to set a post-judgement rate, you can be assured it will be somewhere north of 3X the pre-judgement rate. E* would do well to come to the table at this point and agree to anything less than that. On the other hand, TiVo may just decide to nail them to the wall at this point. I probably would, if I was in their shoes. They have all the cards at this point, and E* has tried everything, including theft of their property, to put them out of business. I wouldn't settle for anything less than 3x the pre-judgement rate if I was TiVo.

As far as replacing the DVR's goes, it won't help E* do anything but delay the inevitable. HJF has already said the software is not more than colorably different and the new devices run the same software. The hardware doesn't matter at that point, since the software claims are what are being violated right now.

Of course, that's the strategy E* has continued up till now (delay, delay, delay), so I fully expect them to try. It will just keep costing them more and more the longer they fight it.

Geez this is like the old days of satellte tv:) Like when rupert first got involved with charlie and E won......

I have missed the excitement, how many old timers know what I mean??

TiVo Statement on the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals' Decision to Issue a Temporary Stay of Injunction
Last update: 6/3/2009 7:02:00 PM
ALVISO, Calif., June 3, 2009 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- TiVo Inc. (TIVO), the creator of and a leader in television products and services for digital video recorders (DVR), offered the following statement today on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit in Washington, D.C. decision to issue a temporary stay of injunction in its lawsuit against EchoStar Communications Corporation:
"We are very pleased with the recent decision by the United States District Court, Eastern District of Texas, to fully enforce a permanent injunction in our patent case against EchoStar in addition to rejecting EchoStar's alleged workaround claim regarding the TiVo patent and finding EchoStar to be in contempt of the Court's permanent injunction. The U.S. Court of Appeals temporarily stayed the District Court's ruling pending the Court's consideration of TiVo's response to EchoStar's motion for stay pending appeal. We are confident the U.S. Court of Appeals will again uphold the District Court ruling and not permit EchoStar to further delay this case once it has an opportunity to consider TiVo's response and EchoStar's motion on the issue of the stay."

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts