TIVO2 work w/ DISH HDTV 811 ??

vesposit

Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
-has anyone successfully setup a Tivo2 to change the channels on a DISH HDTV 811 receiver ?
-if so which code did you use ?

-I understand Tivo won't get the HD channels... but it will get others...

regards,
mike

Actually the Tivo WILL get the HD Channels, as I understand that the 811 outputs HD and SD at the same time. So you could get better (although not HD) recordings on your Tivo. :)

I would imagine that the Tivo would work but am not sure if the remote is the same as a 6000 or is on a new frequency. If the remote is on a different frequency then Tivo would need an update for the new remote.

You should be very happy with the downrezzed output of the 811, I record downrezzed 6000 HD source material on a JVC 30k HD DVHS deck and it is as good as a DVD, it looks awesome. Now if Dish would only put Firewire in the 811!

If Dish put FW in the 811 we wouldn't need the 921. I wish they would put it in too!!!!

Regarding the TIVO2 recording off the 811. Is this functionality possible? If so, how does one accomplish? Thanks

buffd said:
Regarding the TIVO2 recording off the 811. Is this functionality possible? If so, how does one accomplish? Thanks

I'm very curious about this myself. I've never used tivo or a pvr. Would the tivo actually list the dishnetwork channels in it's guide? When a program is recorded, would it then list the actual name of the program for later retrival?

Scott Greczkowski said:
Actually the Tivo WILL get the HD Channels, as I understand that the 811 outputs HD and SD at the same time. So you could get better (although not HD) recordings on your Tivo. :)

I would imagine that the Tivo would work but am not sure if the remote is the same as a 6000 or is on a new frequency. If the remote is on a different frequency then Tivo would need an update for the new remote.

In trying this and from what I posted in the thread I started, it looks like they are on different frequencies. I am going to call DISH tech support to confirm tomorrow & see if they will sell me a 2nd 811 remote.

buffd said:

Ok, buffd, I've looked into this a little bit and here is what I've found out.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

I specifically read some info about someone using a 6000 with a tivo, but since they seam to have the same IR commands it should work just fine with the 811. Basically, when setting up the tivo there will be an option where you specify DISH NETWORK. The onscreen guide for the TIVO will then reflect the DISH NETWORK guide. Next, you hookup svideo and left/right audio from the 811 to the tivo. Then you watch television through the tivo! As you are changing channels through the tivo, it sends IR BLASTER commands to the 811/6000 to change it's channels. This is how the PAUSE LIVE TV feature would be able to work, since you are actually watching TV through the tivo. Also, as you setup stuff to tape the TIVO will send IR BLASTER commands to the 811/6000 to change channels when needed. I'm assuming that since the tivo has full guide info that the actual progam names would be stored for recorded programs.

If this is actually true (could someone with tivo/6000 setup confirm) then I might seriously consider one of the new products with TIVO BASIC (one is a $450 dvd player, one is a $900 dvd recorder) as TIVO BASIC has no monthly fees!

Now some might ask "why not just order a free 510" but for me it would be that the 510 cannot record OTA. And the side benefit is that the 811/tivo would record HD channels (downressed, of course, but still very nice looking). My locals are available from Dish, but the 510/LiL route would cost:

4.99 extra receiver
5.99 locals
4.99 dvr fee

or about $16 more per month.

Yes TIVO2 will work just fine as described by KyDave above - I am doing it with a TIVO & 811, setup:

811 -> S-VID -> TIVO -> monitor

De TIVO2 does not have HD yet though ... gotta wait until Feb/Mar 2004 for that model to come onto the market

With TIVO you can choose your provider (they're all in there: the different cable/sat companies) and it will subsequently give you the right channel and programming lineup

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)