To Buy Or Not To Buy Dish DVR 510

bk63ross

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 6, 2004
San Francisco
Guys just wondering how much longer for the MPEG 4 receivers to start rolling out. The wife is going to start recording stuff in the other room, so should I purchase the 510 or wait for the MPEG 4's to come out?

If you are going to purchase I would go with the 501 or 508 as they are cheaper and no DVR fee. do you really need 100 hours of programming? I have a leased 510 and only have about 20 hours used at any given time.

I've had my 501 for 3 years this month. I love it. On average, it messes up badly enough that I have to reset it maybe 6 times a year. I've lost only one program to corruption or some other screw-up in all this time.

bk63ross said:
I was going on reliability and age. Have those models been pretty stable problem wise?
501, 508, and 510 are exactly the same in every way, except for hard disk size and a $5/month fee for the 510.

As I said in another thread you started with this same question, get a 508, or better yet a 721. The 721 has 2 tuners, a big hard disk, and no monthly fee.

Remember that the 721 also requires switch upgrades and/or another cable run. It's great to have two tuners, but not everyone will want to put up with the pain.

To answer your original question re: mpeg 4.

The non PVR mpeg 4 receiver has been demo'd. Twas VERY buggy. My wild guess puts it at late this year. No mpeg 4 PVR has been seen. Maybe we'll see it mid 2006.

If your mostly concerned about std-def content, you're probably not going to need mpeg 4 for 3-5 years (they are going to do hi-def first). And, it'll take 1-2 years to swap out all those receivers (they are not even done swapping in yellow cards yet).

If you (or anyone) wants a 100 hr (really 90 hr), no fee PVR, I have a 508 upgraded with a 120 gig hard drive. This box now thinks it's a 510, but based on serial number Dish still treats it as a 508. PM me if interested.

721 reboot time is over 4 minutes, requires a UPS

500 series reboot WAY faster

A 2 second power bump causing lost 4 minutes of TV viewing is definetely a 721 downside

Bob Haller said:
A 2 second power bump causing lost 4 minutes of TV viewing is definetely a 721 downside
Shucks, I can't remember the last time I had to reboot my 721.
I do think that a UPS is worthwhile too.

Bob Haller said:

I never required a UPS for my 721.
The 50x still takes a coupla minutes to reboot.
A new Civic gets better gas mileage than a used Jaguar. Yet they cost about the same. Which one would you rather drive? (I'd take the Jaguar, btw.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)