To Hd or not to HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tach18k

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 16, 2004
I still have my orginal DTv system, (9yrs) and added a 2nd box box 2 yrs ago. Now I would like to go Tivo so I can watch things later, but would like HD also. I'm not ready to shell out 1k for combo unit. So the question is "Do I get the HD rec and a dtv tivo for about 1/3 the price of the of a combo unit? I just wont be able to record hd correct? I'll need a complete upgrade to new sat dish anyway no matter what.

If you have been a customer with DTv that long you should be able to buy the HD receiver from them for $149.00 and I think they will install it and put in the new phase III dish for free. Next I would buy the DTivo from DTv for $99 which would include free installation and a 4x8 switch if you were going to keep all four receivers connected. Now if after three or four months you decide you want the HD TiVo then sell off your standard HD receiver and buy the HD TiVo which is a great receiver except for the slow guide.

do you even have an HDTV? you didn't mention that. I ask because I hear people everyday who think they can just upgrade their receiver and it will upgrade their (analog) TV to an HDTV or some how give them a better picture on the TV they already have. you need a full system upgrade. 9 years is way-way out-of-date for any electronical device that gets updated as much as satellite receivers.

If you have those concerns, I suspect you will suffer from less angst if you just wait until the price point makes more sense to you.

I have a Hitachi 46p500, HD is no problem. It also has 5 video inputs including 1 hd.

what is the HD input? component, DVI, firwire, HDMI? I can't find that set anywhere online to look at it. maybe you left out a letter or two? anyway I would get an HD DirecTivo now. you are going to be waiting a long-long time for the price to fall more than $100 on that unit. it just plain costs nearly that much to actully make the unit. most people think DirecTV is just ripping you off at that price, but that is not true. just think of how much Tivo and DirecTV invested just to get this one of kind device on the market, they are still in negative numbers. buy it now if you can afford it- and sounds like you can- you just don't want to.

That was 1 46f500 hdtv sorry for the wrong number, ita a great unit.

you have 3 HD inputs, Not 1!! You have 2 sets of selectable component and one DVI-HDCP.
get the HD DirecTivo now and use your future proof pure digital DVI input to connect it.

mini1 said:
you have 3 HD inputs, Not 1!! You have 2 sets of selectable component and one DVI-HDCP.
get the HD DirecTivo now and use your future proof pure digital DVI input to connect it.

Agreed. As you may have read in this forum, and I can tell you it's correct, there are a lot more HD content coming.... :D

Ok, I talked to dtv today, I was inquiring about the hd tivo, The rep told me that in 30-60 days DTV WILL release its hd tivo unit for existing customers at a reduced rate up 50% off retail, AND allow it to be paid over 3 months, like the currrent dt tivo deal. He was figuring about $550 for the unit.

This messgae has been posted else where on this board.

first I have heard if DirecTV lowering the cost. has anyone else heard of this?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts