Too many remotes HELP ME!!!!

poundin rail

Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
Strong Island
HI I have a panasonic 50inch high def plasma a denon receiver, marantz dvd player and a dish network 921 dual tuner dvr.Here is the problem when I had the system installed they gave me a pronto remote to control everything which was great but since then I have upgraded dish receivers to the 921 and this remote does not control the 921 because I was told it is not infared but another type of signal. What is it and is there a nice universal remote like the new pronto su7000 to control everthing including my new fireplace which Ihave added and is remote but not controllable by this pronto I have. Right now I use the pronto for everything but the dish 921 which as you could imagine is very annoying considering all the dvr functions you control with the dish reciever. Someone please school me on what to do and please tell me i can finally get rid of the last two remotes Thanks any help or tips would be greatly apprecciated this is my first post. Steve :(

You can use the 921 in IR mode.

If the Pronto can LEARN then you are set.

MENU-6-5 *TEACH REMOTE*

I use my compaq iPAQ and have every function that the 921's UHF Pro 8 remote can Dish out. :p

Thnaks for the reply ,any idea how i get the 921 into ir mode?And will it stay there once it is in that mode .I was told that this unit does not have an Ir mode or and eye to receive ir signals but obviously i was misinformed and my remote can learn so hopefully it will work Thanks Again.....Steve :no

The 921 is always in IR mode for receiving remote commands. You can set it in an IR teaching mode through the menu system that MarkAR's post tells you how to get into.

However I have a .pcf file that contains the Dish Network remote codes for addresses 1-4. If you PM me a e-mail address I could send it to you.

edit
I also have a .ccf file with the codes for addresses 1-3 available if you have an older (non NG) Pronto.
/edit

Ok lets pretend that i have no idea what you guys are talking about you will have to excuse me but i fried my brain just getting this system up and running and the installation almast killed me and my wallet.OK Is it the remote or the 921 that I will go to menu 6 5 teach remote? I sat there on enight trying to have the pronto learn the commands from the 921 remote four 6 hours to no avail it just kept saying failed failed failed.It learned all my remotes no problem my blinds my lights my dvd player receiver but this friggen remote from dish network was the killer i called tech service at dish about a dozen times and they were no help telling me i was out of luck and just use both remotes. Can some one walk me through the process like Ok take my dish remote and my pronto and.......etc.etc.Thanks when i was buying all this equipment and getting it all on line I was much more patient and informed now i just gave up and cleared my mind Im trying to get back to that happy place where everyhting works right the first time. :shocked

When you find a good multi-remote let me know... current list:

HDTV Remote
XBox Remote
MyHD-130 Remote
DishNet 811 Remote
6.1 Receiver Remote
4 - Device MultiRemote
Fortec Ultra Lifetime FTA Remote

I've tried to consolidate but it seems I always need one or two buttons that another remote can't emulate.

I use a sub-$30 Radio Shack 15-2116 custom-programmed with JP1 software. I control my entire home theater system with it: Hitachi projector, Sony TV, Denon receiver, Sony DVD Recorder, GoVideo DVD/VCR combo, Comcast Cable box, Dish receiver.

The 921 Receiver accepts remote commands both by UHF and IR. However the remote included with the 921 only sends commands to the 921 via UHF. In order to allow owners of 3rd party learning remotes (such as the various prontos) to learn the IR command signals to send to the receiver Dish Newtwork has a "Teach IR" mode (accessed by entering Menu -> 6 -> 5 and then selecting the "Teach IR" option from the included remote). When the 921 is in Teach IR mode pressing a button on the 921 remote will cause the 921 to emit the IR command so the 3rd party remote can learn the signal. Follow the instructions for learning for your remote except that you will need to point the learning eye/window at the 921 receiver instead of the 921 remote.

As I said in my previous posts I have .pcf and .ccf files allready containg the remote codes for the 921 available that you can use with ProntoEdit/ProntoEdit NG (aka PENG)/ProntoProEdit NG (aka PPENG) software to program your Pronto. If you like me to send you copies of these files please PM me your e-mail address.

If you are unfamiliar with the ProntoEdit/PENG/PPENG software I would suggest visiting the Remote Central website.

You may also want to visit ProntoWizard where you can purchase the "Ultimate Pronto Guide" which can teach you how to use the ProtoEdit software in order to get the most out of your Pronto. It does a much better job than the documentation included with the remote by Philips.

Thanks guys!!!

Kent you are the man thanks for that in depth explanation I am going to try that this weekend and see if it works it sounds like the answer to my prayers.Thnaks again I will let you know if it works or if i screw it up.

In case the Pronto doesn't work out...

You've probably looked already, but many people here have been very happy with Logitech's Harmony line of remotes. They have a new model (520) available for only $100 through (the dreaded?) Wal-Mart which appears to do everything my 688 model does for a lot less $.

See: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/detailsharmony/US/EN,CRID=2084,CONTENTID=10929

If it uses the same web interface then you should find it easy to program for any/all IR devices.

CDH.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)