Top Gun: An IMAX 3D Experience

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I went and saw it in IMAX today. Well there is a lot of good and bad. I had not seen the film in probably 20 years on a VHS rental. I did not see it in the theater when it first came out.

The IMAX screen is of course huge and the film/lighting combo they used was very grainy. It did not blow up well to the IMAX size. The 3D was odd in a lot of shots because they must have shot a lot of scenes fairly tight so only a small portion of the screen was in focus. So, you would have blurry 3D backgrounds with sharp closeups, somehow adding 3D made it look weird to me. I think they must have remastered audio since the audio was excellent. It is not that the film was damaged or degraded, it is just that it was not shot with this large a screen in mind. It almost looks standard definition in a lot of parts.

It was fun seeing all these actors from 27 years ago. Needless to say Tom Cruise is the only one that has "aged" well. Of course who knows how much artificial enhancement has been involved. Overall it was a fun experience, and I am glad I went to see it. I would, however, not see it again.

The aerial combat sequences were probably the best in the film. Probably because they were shot in full sunlight in the desert. The grain was not an issue.

As far as 3D went, it added to some parts of the movie, but barely noticeable in a lot of the movie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)