Toshiba HD-A1 at Sears

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I know these payers are hard to get, but why not buy from my company, ValueElectroncis.com, SatelliteGusy sponsors and save lots of money with free shipping, no tax and two free HD DVDs.

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
I know these payers are hard to get, but why not buy from my company, ValueElectroncis.com, SatelliteGusy sponsors and save lots of money with free shipping, no tax and two free HD DVDs.
Um, thats ValueElectronics.com :)

-John

BTW, whenever I get around to breaking down and buying one, I'll order it from you guys. It's near impossible to find a player locally.

vurbano said:
That really does trouble me. At this point there shouldnt be a shortage IMO. Why so few players around?

Robert & other Toshiba retailers reported that HD DVD player sales actually increased after the Blu-Ray debut. :up

A Toshiba America wholesale rep told me to expect continued tight supplies of A1/XA1's throughout the summer. Even though Toshiba is cranking them out as fast as they can, demand far exceeds supply. And they're already well along in development of a 2nd generation player they plan to ship in time for the holidays. :)

CochiseGuy said:
Robert & other Toshiba retailers reported that HD DVD player sales actually increased after the Blu-Ray debut. :up

A Toshiba America wholesale rep told me to expect continued tight supplies of A1/XA1's throughout the summer. Even though Toshiba is cranking them out as fast as they can, demand far exceeds supply. And they're already well along in development of a 2nd generation player they plan to ship in time for the holidays. :)

You are 100% correct in everything you said.

-Robert

I was at a local Sears yesterday, and they did have HD-A1 on display running the Toshiba's demo disc. Funny thing: it was hooked up to a 60" Sony! ;)

damaged said:
Typical marketing, artifically choke supply to create more demand, then profit.

I don't think so. Toshiba wants to get out as many HD DVD players as fast as possible to help establish the format.

Also more hardware sales will push the remaining studios to produce HD DVDs.

It's not uncommon for new advanced CE products to be in short supply when they are first released.

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
I don't think so. Toshiba wants to get out as many HD DVD players as fast as possible to help establish the format.

Also more hardware sales will push the remaining studios to produce HD DVDs.

It's not uncommon for new advanced CE products to be in short supply when they are first released.

-Robert

Good point, I did not take into consideration the format wars, but usually the choking practice is common practice, that's also partially why it isn't uncommon.

Don't think it's happenning here

damaged said:
Typical marketing, artifically choke supply to create more demand, then profit.

I will say that in Reno, the local Best Buy got an initial 8 Toshibas in...they just sold their last unit this weekend! Software titles...pretty much the same dismal performance.

Everyone else is pushing BR (which really looks poor from thr demos I saw). Wal Mart still has not gotten in Player one yet, and shows no sign they are even interested! (No "coming soon" signs etc.)

Circuit City has a big BR display...no one (including salesmen) even looking!

I think economics also are taking their toll. It now costs quite a bit for a store to 'floor" a product due to rising interest rates...if the product does not move...big $$ lost....HELL, JUST LOOK AT THE CAR LOTS! Glad I am not in that business (or boats and RV's etc for that matter)

Again, we are a small group here...I do not think the majority of the public has heard of either format and honestly could give a S***.

This is going to take time, and it is always possible that neither will win out. I also think if HD players (either) begin appearing in PC's...this will help!

I agree ever since I read Roberts post that, what I said may NOT be the case in this instance, and I concede that the format wars is a variable that definatly weighs in heavy here, and that in this case, it may not be (all) a artificial demand tactic, that being said:

I realize rolling out products is a complex issue, but it is not like these are newbie, small, poor companies, they should have numbers and statistics of how many they'll need, timeframes of manufacturing and the costs associated with such as well as the delivery processes worked out well ahead of the release, so when I hear this kind of thing (with the exception of this type, considering the format wars thing), it is very hard for me to believe that these mature companies got caught with their pants down, I just don't buy the 'oops we did not know it would be in such demand, oh my, what do we do now' line most of the companies try to hand us, these companies aren't ran by lemonaid stand owners for christs sake, I do however realize that this is often caused by when they try and promise stockholders the world(and fail to mention that they DON'T _really_ have the ability to deliver, well, until it is too late), again, with the exception of this one (perhaps*). ;)

* Assuming there was no format wars issue, I still feel they would still have had a supply 'problem', but I guess we'll never know.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts