Toslink (optical audio) feed 2 into 1 - products?

mrhoni

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
I will have 2 622s and want to have each feed their optical audio to my receiver that only has 1 input.

I've searched for Toslink switchers, but the best I can find is one for 65 dollars with a remote.

I think what would work is some sort of Y cable with 2 in and one out as only one 622 would be powered on at a time.

Anyone already using something like I'm looking for?

Thanks. i had seen this before, but from the description:

"This device allows you to connect one digital audio source to two inputs. Connect a mini disc or mp3 player to your receiver and stereo at the same time. Toslink input to two Toslink outputs. Lightweight and compact in size."

It seems to describe 1 input is split for 2 outputs, while I wanted 2 inputs to 1 output. Will it work both directions?

mrhoni said:
Thanks. i had seen this before, but from the description:

"This device allows you to connect one digital audio source to two inputs. Connect a mini disc or mp3 player to your receiver and stereo at the same time. Toslink input to two Toslink outputs. Lightweight and compact in size."

It seems to describe 1 input is split for 2 outputs, while I wanted 2 inputs to 1 output. Will it work both directions?

So you have

622 A Out
622 B Out
to
5.1 Reciever In

Is that correct?

Yes, 622 out and a 2nd 622 out - to feed into one receiver. I checked the links Tom provided and I've seen one of those products in my search. However, I need one with remote control (for my Harmony to control) - best price I've seen is $65 OR I need to find a cable, if it exists and would work, to have 2 incoming Toslink with one output Toslink that I'd plug into my receiver.

Im currently using a splitter very similar to that one at Monoprice. I have my Xbox and a 921 plugged into one side and the other lead goes over to my receiver. As long as they are turned off, they do not interfere with each other. And you arent dealing with any voltage, so I there is no way it could permenently mess anything up.

Yeah, a splitter could work in reverse as long as both devices aren't on at the same time. It might not met an audiophile standard, as I'm sure it would increase the data errors, but would probably work fine in most systems.

And $65 is a pretty good price on a selector switch that can be remotely controlled.

mrhoni said:
Yes, 622 out and a 2nd 622 out - to feed into one receiver. I checked the links Tom provided and I've seen one of those products in my search. However, I need one with remote control (for my Harmony to control) - best price I've seen is $65 OR I need to find a cable, if it exists and would work, to have 2 incoming Toslink with one output Toslink that I'd plug into my receiver.

So you are looking for a switcher (having a button to press) and not a splitter, right?

Tom Bombadil said:
Yeah, a splitter could work in reverse as long as both devices aren't on at the same time. It might not met an audiophile standard, as I'm sure it would increase the data errors, but would probably work fine in most systems.

And $65 is a pretty good price on a selector switch that can be remotely controlled.

That caught me as funny,

1. I doubt an audiophile would ever have anything digital
2. It's optical. Just light passing through a tube, I can't see how a TOSLINK splitter would degrade the signal unless it shaded the light.

Sorry, i'm not trying to flame or anything, I just found some odd amusement in it..

Kaydigi said:
So you are looking for a switcher (having a button to press) and not a splitter, right?

Yes, but I ordered the splitter as it might work and will try it out since I only had to spend $9

Cheap Toslink induces data errors from reflections in the plastic fibers and from sub-standard connectors. It's a well-known and proven fact. Using a cheap splitter is guaranteed to induce some data errors. You're putting two more connectors into the path, you've got spliced plastic fibers splitting the signal, and it is anything but a precision made part.

This is not audiophile mumbo-jumbo, it is measurable scientific fact.

This should help:
http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/interconnects/toslink.php

As to audiophiles and digital, my goodness, most audiophiles have digital components in their systems. There are numerous high-end audiophile digital products.

In general I'm a believer that a well made digital cable can do an excellent job, even if it is inexpensive. But cheap Toslink stuff frequently is not well made, and even the source component Toslink connectors are often of poor quality.