Toslink Optical Audio Switcher

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
Now that I have a PS3, Xbox 360, and my D* HR20, having only 1 optical input in my system is starting to prove a hassle. I was looking around online for a decent toslink switcher that wasn't a whole new receiver or a major component that also had video switching as well. All I could really find was this, and this has received mixed reviews and seems to be the same as another version of it that has receieved generally negative reviews.

Does anyone have any experience either with the device I linked or if I would just be better off getting a new a/v multiswitch? I currently have a component video switch, but that is a basic one that I got from Gamestop for like $20 (seems to work fine though.)

Now that I have a PS3, Xbox 360, and my D* HR20, having only 1 optical input in my system is starting to prove a hassle. I was looking around online for a decent toslink switcher that wasn't a whole new receiver or a major component that also had video switching as well. All I could really find was this, and this has received mixed reviews and seems to be the same as another version of it that has receieved generally negative reviews.

Does anyone have any experience either with the device I linked or if I would just be better off getting a new a/v multiswitch? I currently have a component video switch, but that is a basic one that I got from Gamestop for like $20 (seems to work fine though.)

I think the new component switch is your best bet. This one from Monoprice is cheap and has gotten some OK reviews

For only $22.40 each when QTY 50+ purchased - ATLONA 4 Port Component Video Switch w/ IR Learning | Component Video Switch

It also puts you back in the mode of only one switch to change sources. With a separate audio switch, you need to change both which will become a hassle.

The problem with this unit is signal degration at 720P and above. Read the reviews. It is still a good price for a TOSlink switcher though.

I wanted to get off cheap, so for my audio receiver with one toslink and one digital coaxial input and these components: E* 622, BluRay and HD DVD:

I use this to convert the optical to coaxial from the 622 and this to combine the optical outputs from the BluRay and HD DVD. Obviously this is not the optimal setup, but it works great for me!!

I was in a local RadioShack several years ago and found a 4-input one on clearance for $9.99. I bought it and it works great. If you'd like the catalog number, I can check it later tonight.

I have the Inday DA4X-R S/PDIF 4x1 switcher, but that may be more than you're willing to spend. It's been rock-solid for the four+ years I've had it. It also cross-converts between coax and Toslink, too.

I have the Inday DA4X-R S/PDIF 4x1 switcher, but that may be more than you're willing to spend. It's been rock-solid for the four+ years I've had it. It also cross-converts between coax and Toslink, too.
Yeah, that one is out of my price range. I'm sure the audio conversion feature is what bumps up the price of that one.

I decided to go with this one instead, as it had video inputs as well, and having a remote control is a very nice feature that my current switcher does not have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)