totally Unofficial Thread on Compatible External Storage for the VIP 622

im getting a old 250gb maxtor ide drive ready im reformatting in pc now

then put into external enclosure hookup to 622 format then activate
or do i activate then format?

im getting a old 250gb maxtor ide drive ready im reformatting in pc now

then put into external enclosure hookup to 622 format then activate
or do i activate then format?

Either way. You won't be able to copy to the HD until you pay the $39.95 and E* turns it on.

No need to reformat your IDE drive, the 622 will do it for you as soon as it senses the drive is plugged in.

I have a LaCie 500 Gb Porsche drive that is working great so far. Transferred about 110 Gb over several different sessions. Playback is fine too. Wish the drive was just a little quieter, though.

How hot and how loud?

I have 2 622 and last night hooked up an extra Maxtor One Touch III 500gb. So far so good.

This drive is very quiet and on my computer it will spin down after a time period.

I want to buy another drive and I'm thinking of either another Maxtor, or Seagate Freeagent, or My Book.

Some Questions:
1) For the My Book it seems there are several types such as Essentials or Premium or Pro. Any reason to buy a particular one?
2) Of the Freeagent and My Book, how are they for spinning down, running hot, quiet or loud.
3) For prices, I was checking out Amazon and also Costco. Costco has such a good return policy.

Has anyone had success with a power supply-less hard drive? (i.e. powered only off of the USB ports) I'm trying to avoid connecting another power brick!

All of the USB-Powered drives that I've seen were 2.5" 5400 RPM notebook drives. They're slower and have a higher cost per GB than 3.5" drives. While E* doesn't specify against them, I don't think they'd be recommended.

See :
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-hd-discussions/104108-external-hard-drive-archive-bug-thread.html

There seems to be some compatibility problems with a few Seagate Freagents which require rebooting. All others seem to be doing fine.

I have discovered a way to get around the Seagate free standing verticle hard drives( just like the ones shown on the tech chat this last Monday) not being able to use them without a reboot. IF you unplug the power to the external hard drive , the receiver says you unplugged the external usb device. Then replug it back in and the receiver says : you have connected an external usb device and do you want to manage it? THis seems to fix the problems with no programs being shown when you try to hit manage button. Also seems to fix the problems with trying to archive something and it says ERROR . The Seagate must go into standby or the receiver doesn't see it any longer. Unplugging/replugging the hard drive back into its power supply seems to re awaken it and all works as it should. I only unplugged the power cord from the hard drive where it connects by the usb cable, instead of at the power cord at the outlet and it was very easy to replug it in too. Tried this on both receivers and hard drives and it worked without a reboot each time. HOpe that helps any with the problems I've experienced.

I have discovered a way to get around the Seagate free standing verticle hard drives( just like the ones shown on the tech chat this last Monday) not being able to use them without a reboot. IF you unplug the power to the external hard drive , the receiver says you unplugged the external usb device. Then replug it back in and the receiver says : you have connected an external usb device and do you want to manage it? THis seems to fix the problems with no programs being shown when you try to hit manage button. Also seems to fix the problems with trying to archive something and it says ERROR . The Seagate must go into standby or the receiver doesn't see it any longer. Unplugging/replugging the hard drive back into its power supply seems to re awaken it and all works as it should. I only unplugged the power cord from the hard drive where it connects by the usb cable, instead of at the power cord at the outlet and it was very easy to replug it in too. Tried this on both receivers and hard drives and it worked without a reboot each time. HOpe that helps any with the problems I've experienced.

Unfortunately, that does not work for some of us.....following your methodology (not blaming you) I did same earlier and found all stored material wiped out.....bottom line is a software issue with *E on several fronts.

Unfortunately, that does not work for some of us.....following your methodology (not blaming you) I did same earlier and found all stored material wiped out.....bottom line is a software issue with *E on several fronts.
Also, depending on where you keep the drive, all that unplugging can be a big pain in the butt!

At the risk of being redundant, I have a LaCie 500 GB F.A. Porsche Design drive and all is well. Unlike parp's, mine is extremely quiet. The actual HDD is made by Samsung and has an 8MB cache.

Ok this is getting confusing. I'm reading this thread and teh bugs thread and it appears that units listed in here as "working with no problems" also have posts in the bug thread about problems. I think there are SOME units that are NOT having issues and seems to "just work" for everyone, but if I'm new and looking for help, well.... I'm NOT new and my head is spinning.

What I'd LIKE to see is a post listing "These just work" that shows external hard drives by size (250, 500, 750, 1TB for example) and if bugs turn up it gets removed from that list.

Yeah.... I'm asking for an "Easy Button".

:)

So far looks like the WD MyBook series is the most problem free, *some* Seagates have a sleep issue that needs to be addressed, LaCie seems ok, the big Buffalo 1TB one loks ok.... is this an accurate summary of the most cited units?

And for those who are saying they used a "$29 enclosure" with ....whatever... drive. Can you say what enclosure? Some enclosures have awful electronics in them and try to be "smart" when they end up being really stupid. I had an Acomdata unit with a hard drive in it that INSISTED it was a CDROM drive. Smart electronics my butt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)