transfer from DVR to DVD recorder

golfnsoon

Original poster
Feb 16, 2005
Being a newbie with a 508, I'm wanting to copy to dvd from my dvr, so my question is: Can I buy an off the shelf dvd recorder and hook it up to my 508 and transfer recorded events straight to dvd? This would be great if I could cause dvd in the backseat of my van for my kids is the greatest....

SimpleSimon said:
Yes, the analog outputs will work just fine, although there WILL be a loss of quality.

I have a Dish 508 and recently bought a DVD recorder. I still get a pretty good picture when I replay the DVD's later.

Just thought I would give you another opinion.

I just use the video out yellow cord and the left and right audio to the DVD recorder.

SimpleSimon said:
Yes, the analog outputs will work just fine, although there WILL be a loss of quality.

*But it may be so small that you won't be able to see it.

gasman882001 said:
I have a Dish 508 and recently bought a DVD recorder. I still get a pretty good picture when I replay the DVD's later.

Just thought I would give you another opinion.

I just use the video out yellow cord and the left and right audio to the DVD recorder.

Do yo go directly from the dvdr to the television, or from the dvdr to the satellite receiver. I have a 522, by the way.

I'm just bought a DVD burner for my computer. I have a 508, I have never looked but is their a chance their is a port I can use to hook up to my PC.

With only 40 hours on this box it would help a lot to copy all of the Chapelle and Simpsons Episodes I'm holding on to :D

poops said:
Do yo go directly from the dvdr to the television, or from the dvdr to the satellite receiver. I have a 522, by the way.

I have the 510, can anyone recommend a DVD burner to buy? What DVD burner are you using?

I just bought a GoVideo DVD+R recorder at Costco for $149. Seems to work pretty well for me so far making recordings from my 508. It really couldn't be much simpler - cue up the program on the DVR (I like to display a couple of seconds of the program description first), put in the blank DVD, then press the record button once for each 30 minutes of record time. Pressing once is unlimited record, three times is one hour. I go away for awhile then come back to a finished recording. I have been dumping old episodes of MythBusters and found that, at least for that show, the 4 hour setting is just fine. Sure I only watch it on an old 27" RCA set, but it looks OK to me! Not the same quality as right off the DVR but definately watchable. For movies I would use the 2 hour setting.

Note - do not use the 4 hour setting unless you are connected via S-video. I tried it via RF and it came out pretty bad. Eh, live and learn!

With my Philips DVDR80 using S-Video directly from my 522 I find that any setting 4 hours of less is pretty good with a DVD+RW disk. Anything past 4 hours starts to really show picture quality loss.

dnyce said:
I'm just bought a DVD burner for my computer. I have a 508, I have never looked but is their a chance their is a port I can use to hook up to my PC.

With only 40 hours on this box it would help a lot to copy all of the Chapelle and Simpsons Episodes I'm holding on to :D

If you have a digital video camera you should be able to pass the video output of your dvr thru the camera to your computer. I have done this before with my mac and was able to edit out commercials with iMovie and burn to dvd with iDvd.

pelting said:
If you have a digital video camera you should be able to pass the video output of your dvr thru the camera to your computer. I have done this before with my mac and was able to edit out commercials with iMovie and burn to dvd with iDvd.

Some cameras allow this, others don't. Don't just assume.
Also, some cameras will respect some copy protect flags that will prevent you from copying from some stations like HBO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)