Transfering recordings

larrylwill

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 18, 2004
I am getting a replacement 722 recorder this week. Is there a way to copy recordings from one recorder to another? Settings?

I am getting a replacement 722 recorder this week. Is there a way to copy recordings from one recorder to another? Settings?

If you want to keep them as recorded on your Dish DVR then get an external HD and archive your recordings to it. When your DVR is replaced, then move them from your external HD if you like.

Last edited:
Hello,
I'm new to the dish world. I have Dishnetwork DVR ViP722. And I want to be able to copy my recordings to a pc or external hd. is this possible?

Thanks,
Tony

Hello,
I'm new to the dish world. I have Dishnetwork DVR ViP722. And I want to be able to copy my recordings to a pc or external hd. is this possible?

Thanks,
Tony
Yes to external HD...read the above posts in this thread. No to PC. The 722 formats the EHD in encrypted Linux.

Hmm. I did read that but was a little confused because I figured what's the difference between an external hd and a pc? Do I have to make sure of getting a certain kind of ext hd?

Thanks,
Tony

The difference is DISH ONLY allows you to connect a USB external hard drive to your 622/722 to "archive" your shows to.

They do not allow you to copy those shows to a PC. So if you were to take your External Hard Drive and format it on your computer, then plug it into the 622/722 it WILL require it to be formatted by the receiver, at that point it will use the encrypted filesystem. So if you try to take that drive and then plug it into your computer it will not be recognized, even if you boot into Linux and try, hence the Encryption!

Hmm. I did read that but was a little confused because I figured what's the difference between an external hd and a pc? Do I have to make sure of getting a certain kind of ext hd?

Thanks,
Tony
Any self-powered 3.5 in. external drive will work. I personally suggest a seperate WD AAKS series drive put in an aluminum enclosure. Most of the name brand pre-builds have plastic housings, some with no power switches. DO NOT use 2.5 in. USB powered laptops drives.

Ah! Now what if you use an external drive like a NAS that has wireless built into the enclosure. Can you access it from a computer?

Ah! Now what if you use an external drive like a NAS that has wireless built into the enclosure. Can you access it from a computer?

not sure what that has to do with anything.

if you dont want to activate an external usb hard drive with dish: the simplest method to get save your recordings is to PLAY them into an external recording device.

You can connect up to a VCR and record them on tape.

You can connect up to a CAPTURE CARD on a PC and record them to a hard drive in your PC.

the downside of this is that it must be done REAL TIME, no digital file transfers.

If you dont get the drift of what Im saying, then just forget about the whole thing. Its for power users.

I do get "the drift". I'm just new to the the satelitte part of it. I'm an IT/Network professional for 25 yrs now. There are external hd enclosures with wireless capabilities. If I connected that to my receivcer, all I was asking if they can be accessed wirelessly from my network. Sorry to bother anyone on this forum. Thanks again...

I wouldn't be 100% sure that the EHD method will even work given Dish's track record on this stuff so far. The bottom line is that it will probably work but with this new household code thing if it doesn't work you are going to be sh*t out of luck and Dish won't care to help you. Their ONLY troubleshooting method for EHD's is to reformat them.

I do get "the drift". I'm just new to the the satelitte part of it. I'm an IT/Network professional for 25 yrs now. There are external hd enclosures with wireless capabilities. If I connected that to my receivcer, all I was asking if they can be accessed wirelessly from my network. Sorry to bother anyone on this forum. Thanks again...
You're not bothering anyone. The files are encrypted and can only be played by the Dish receiver. I'm not sure what purpose accessing encrypted files over a network would serve.

You're not bothering anyone. The files are encrypted and can only be played by the Dish receiver. I'm not sure what purpose accessing encrypted files over a network would serve.
Don't forget the further restriction: The files are only accessible on VIP DVRs on the same account. You can't carry them to work and swap with office mates who also are Dish customers. Lastly if you ever left Dish, *no* DVR could access the recordings.

Don't forget the further restriction: The files are only accessible on VIP DVRs on the same account. You can't carry them to work and swap with office mates who also are Dish customers. Lastly if you ever left Dish, *no* DVR could access the recordings.

thats why if you REALLY REALLY want those recordings, record them in realtime to an external device. Sure you dont get the extream fidelity of a digital transfer, but if you record them into a PC, they should be more than adequate. Also, you then own them forever.

peace out

No!

The ViP receiver will only be able to use a drive after it completely reformats it and you don't want that on a NAS.

READ MY LIPS: There is NO WAY on a ViP DVR outside of digitizing the content to get it on a personal computer. None. Not even. They're waaaaay ahead of you.

Did I make myself clear?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)