Traveling VIP722 dvr + antenna Issues

wressler

Original poster
May 18, 2008
Hi Everyone,
I'm new here but somewhat of a veteran of the satellite world. However I am in quite over my head here. Were on our summer vacation jaunt and brought our VIP 722 DVR and a Dish 500 ( LBN# BS1D1UP201M) along. We didn't want HD reception, just the normal channels of 110 and 119. Half way across the country, in Texas, (were from CA) things stopped working, first 119, and now 110 as well. Does anyone have any suggestions? Were traveling in a 5th whl rig with dedicated cables and an external (not attached) antenna w/50 ft of cable to evade trees. I suspect that either one or both of the LBN's have failed or that something is seriously misconfigured in the 722.
Thanks
Bill (and Carol

When you stop do you use a signal strength meter to align the dish? If you do, can you lock on both sats? Either?

Or are you using one of the auto-track jobs?

Have done a check switch?

Are you trying to view locals that are on spot beams?

Also, have you entered the correct local zip code on the pointing screen? As you travel the elevation and skew both change a little and the further you go from the left coast the more pronounced the effects will become. This could explain the loss of first one then two sats.

vip 722

We have used the meter for signal strength, and adjusted for zip code. Also carefully leveled our antenna before setting azimuth, skew, and elevation. Still picture. I would like to check our meter as when we do pick up a signal. It swings wildly and then quits. Could this be a sign of a shorting cable or the meter itself?
We have done numerous checks and reset the Tuner/dvr.
Bill

We have used the meter for signal strength, and adjusted for zip code. Also carefully leveled our antenna before setting azimuth, skew, and elevation. Still picture. I would like to check our meter as when we do pick up a signal. It swings wildly and then quits. Could this be a sign of a shorting cable or the meter itself?

Sounds like one of everybody's favorite... Crappy-connector-itus. Or the connector inside the arm at the LNB is loose. That happens when you handle the dish a lot. It has happened to me. Fortunately for me the cable just fell out when I went to put it up one day.

I **HATE** cable connectors! They have cost me in the neighborhood of a hundred hours over the years. They ALWAYS fail eventually.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)