Trees blocking 129???

cpa4u

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 18, 2004
I had an appointment today to upgrade from a 522/Dish 500 to a 622 with a Dish 1000. He says that tree limbs (which are on my neighbors property) are blocking my line to the 129 bird and he can not get a signal off it at all. So, he ends up taking the 1000 back down and putting the 500 back up. So, I now am using my 522 once again. My question is what channels are on 129 that I would be missing if I upgraded to 622 and HD but couldn't see the 129? I would want the Nashville locals in HD for sure. Any chance I could see most of HD channels without getting 129?

Thanks

Not really. Most of your HD channels are carried on the 129. However, they are also mirrored on the 61.5. I'm not sure about your Nashville locals, but I'm pretty sure they are NOT carried on the 61.5.

At least here in Ohio, if I can't get the 129, I do have a pretty good chance at getting the 61.5. If that is also the case for you, and if you can stand to be w/o your locals in HD, then that would be the way to go.

I have an appointment for this coming Thursday with a field manager (whatever that is) to come out and take a look at it. I'll ask about the possibilty of going the 61 route.

Did they have to put the additional dish in a totally different location from the main dish?

129 with a second dish is the best route to take, only thing is is that dish is going to be doing away with the 61.5 all together with in the next year or so along with the 121 sat. The newest dish to be coming out is the dish 1000 plus which will pick up from four sats, 119,110,129,118.

I work for dish, 61.5 has 3 types of programming, international, HD, and locals - all of which are being replaced with the new dish 1000 plus. 61.5 is going to go buy buy along with 121, which sux for a lot of people. Dish is trying get the one dish solution so must carries will be a thing of the past.

Last edited:
Uh-uh...not gonna work for the people in the northeast. Especially New England. The 129 footprint doesn't cover that. And current info shows the 118 will be for internationals.

And let's not forget the debacle that's happening on the west coast...more the Pac NW. Signal fade on the 129 is creating a lot of repeat troublecalls and must-carry installs.

srs913 said:
129 with a second dish is the best route to take, only thing is is that dish is going to be doing away with the 61.5 all together with in the next year or so along with the 121 sat. The newest dish to be coming out is the dish 1000 plus which will pick up from four sats, 119,110,129,118.
Since you work for Dish and have inside information, do you know of any plans to fix/replace 129 before "doing away" with the 61.5? I just had a 622 installation on Saturday and they just left me set up on the 61.5 rather than 129 because of the poor and erratic signal coming from this dying satellite.

If Dish is going to force the issue by discontinuing the 61.5, I hope they have the foresight to get 129 working first...

:mad: I had a similar problem with trees and a dish 1000. Wound up having to use the 1000 for 110&119 and a 300 for 129. It's not as ascetically pleasing but now instead of 45 to 50 signal strength on 129 I usually get between 70 and 80.Thank goodness now I don't miss NHRA in HD on ESPN2HD :) !!!!!

Chris:up

srs913 said:
I work for dish, 61.5 has 3 types of programming, international, HD, and locals - all of which are being replaced with the new dish 1000 plus. 61.5 is going to go buy buy along with 121, which sux for a lot of people. Dish is trying get the one dish solution so must carries will be a thing of the past.
If you don't mind me asking... are you an installer or do you attend meetings were the fate of SATs are decided ?

To sit in a meeting where the fate of sats are decided would be grand, but no, i have never sat in one of those. I am merly relaying the information coming down the stream from dish to my rsp office. The FCC is working hard to push dish to the one dish solution and dish is taking a lot of heat from the FCC. The Dish 500,1000 plus dishes to be released are suppose to be the answer. Now if most of you that are having issues with the 129 are scheptical of what im saying, heres some reassuring. The dish 1000 as of right now which picks off the 119,110,and that damned troubled 129 does not have a big enough collection area for the 129 signal which is a huge part of the problem. The new Dish 1000 plus dish to be released will be the size of the super dish which thus having a lot more collection area for the 129 hit. Now with all that being said, is that going to solve the 129 problem, perhaps, but since I have not put one up yet because of the release date for them, I can't tell you. Only time will tell.

The one dish solution was for analog locals not all programming , and Dish has meet that FCC deadline this month. All locals in analog are now on one dish 500 or dish 1000 and a few markets are on a superdish .

The newer dishes in the dish plus categories are for international channels at 118.75 or for a few HD local dmas like St. Louis and others. All hd will stay at either 110/129/61.5 or even 148 for a few hd channels.

Yes someday I am sure Dish would want to move the hd so it is all on one dish but that would come when and IF they ever gain the bandwith that they want with mpeg 4 compression. Right now Mpeg4 sucks on picture quality. They are only getting maybe 30 % more bandwith and they want 100% increase. In fact I have read that Dish wants to move all hd to Mpeg 4 by next summer . God help us if they don't get the picture quality right with mpeg 4 or we will all be looking for a new video provider.

Hd locals can be on different dishes than the main one for now . That is untill the Fcc wants to change its mind again over this issue. With the gain in bandwith in mpeg 4 Dish hopes to have all their receivers turned over to mpeg 4 in the next three years or sooner. THen it might be feasible to have one dish for most everything if they can compress it enough with out screwing up the picture quality.

srs913 said:

Dish has said it was going to get rid of 615 for years has been the rumour rolling around every dns facility in the country, word of advice for you, dont listen to what the fsm's or lsc trainers or im's or gm's tell you in the atm's because they dont know anything at all and when they tell you something its always wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts