Tribune Broadcasting Company Blacks Out DISH Customers in 33 Markets;

If the FCC removed the restriction blocking providers from importing distant or neighboring locals during disputes, you'd see these blackouts remain less. Less government restriction would help the natural order of supply and demand. Government interaction is what caused the issue.

With regards to this Dish Network should be able to contract with a third party (like they did with All America Direct due to an infamous court injunction) to provide distant signals to people living in grade B areas in markets where they do not serve a local into local feed of that particular network (in this case ABC for WNEP).

I do believe that all grade B subscribers who CANNOT get WNEP over the air are technically legally permitted to get WABC for the duration of the blackout period and in any other markets affected by blackouts where the Dish Supplied antenna would not work (ie those living outside of grade A).

The latest revised version of this law only states that the distant station needs to be in the same time zone. If a station is blacked out then it is within in the 'NOT BEING SUPPLIED LOCAL INTO LOCAL' exception that allows for the importation of distant siganls on those grounds.

However without explination as to WHY Dish Network has chosen to allow AAD to fall off of its service and does not offer any alternatives to those affected viewers who are stuck living on the fringes of each of the affected blackout markets.

Reactions: pattykay
With regards to this Dish Network should be able to contract with a third party (like they did with All America Direct due to an infamous court injunction) to provide distant signals to people living in grade B areas in markets where they do not serve a local into local feed of that particular network (in this case ABC for WNEP).

I do believe that all grade B subscribers who CANNOT get WNEP over the air are technically legally permitted to get WABC for the duration of the blackout period and in any other markets affected by blackouts where the Dish Supplied antenna would not work (ie those living outside of grade A).

The latest revised version of this law only states that the distant station needs to be in the same time zone. If a station is blacked out then it is within in the 'NOT BEING SUPPLIED LOCAL INTO LOCAL' exception that allows for the importation of distant siganls on those grounds.

However without explination as to WHY Dish Network has chosen to allow AAD to fall off of its service and does not offer any alternatives to those affected viewers who are stuck living on the fringes of each of the affected blackout markets.
AAD went out of business...Dish didnt just allow them off their services, they no longer offer any service.

So Tribune also owns Gracenote...
Products[edit]
With the acquisition by Tribune Media in 2014 and subsequent acquisitions of What’s-ON, HWW, Baseline, SportsDirect, and Infostrada Sports, Gracenote has expanded its core data product beyond Music into Video and Sports.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gracenote

Good to know. I got the antenna today but of course there's no input on the hopper3. Hopefully i get the module tomorrow.

I got the RCA antenna but no USB adapter so I can't plug it into my Hopper. I didn't need thing I'll find a package on my front porch.

It's complicated and not quite how you portray it. AAD was a separate business that supplied certain local stations. They could give people a set of Distant Locals if they met the signal requirements (White Zone) only because they were not providing your locals. They went out of business. Right now neither DISH or Direct can give you a second set of locals (Distants) even if you are in a White Zone since they carry your locals. That is a change from the previous law. And just because an antenna given to you by DISH does not get a signal has no impact nor proves you can't get the signal in regards to getting Distants.
But most importantly during a dispute a distant local can not be substituted except in very specific circumstances. That is well documented and has been a subject of recent FCC discussion.

BTW I believe you are wrong about the Distant needing to be in the same time zone, I believe it just can't be in an earlier time zone.

Tribune's WXIN Fox 59 is one of the OTA channels that I sometimes receive with the Dish USB adapter and it shows up on my Dish guide with listings. However, since this dispute, I notice it says "WXIN removed Fox 59" instead of the program data. If this is on the OTA channel, why is Dish blocking the program guide data? They are sending out free antennas so why wouldn't the OTA listings still show up?

Fox 59 isn't my local Fox so I am not affected, but I just thought it was odd, you couldn't record it anyway even if it was coming in over the air instead of from Dish...

Dish only provides guide data for channels they carry(or in some cases carried). When in a dispute, they don't have the guide data anymore. You can still record OTA on the OTA tuner using a manual timer.

Dish only provides guide data for channels they carry(or in some cases carried). When in a dispute, they don't have the guide data anymore. You can still record OTA on the OTA tuner using a manual timer.
I get guide data for several channels DISH does not carry. I am not sure how they decide whether to provide guide data but that is not the only factor.

Reactions: pattykay
Not true. Dish provides guide data for many sub-channels that customers receive OTA and are not carried by Dish. Those channels do not lose guide data during a dispute.

Reactions: osu1991
Incorrect. I have guide data for a number of subchannels Dish doesn't carry. You're also incorrect they don't "have" the guide data. IT'S IN THE RECEIVER. Dish CHOOSES not to utilize that guide data. I think it's because they want to piss the customer off more. You may think it's for a different reason.

Incorrect. I have guide data for a number of subchannels Dish doesn't carry. You're also incorrect they don't "have" the guide data. IT'S IN THE RECEIVER. Dish CHOOSES not to utilize that guide data. I think it's because they want to piss the customer off more. You may think it's for a different reason.

Last time I checked Dish only carries the first 2 sub channels or just the first sub channel. My understanding is the data is download from dish and not the local station.

Last time I checked Dish only carries the first 2 sub channels or just the first sub channel. My understanding is the data is download from dish and not the local station.
That was my understanding of it. Only if it was a subchannel of the ones they carried.
It appears that neither of you have OTA integrated into your Dish receivers.

This is from DishAnywhere

ota-guide.png

accessing my receiver, since I'm not at home right now. Dish only carries the primary channel for both WPTO and WPTD (feel free to confirm for the Cincinnati and Dayton markets). You can see that guide data appears for the -2 through -5 sub-channels.

My understanding is the data is download from dish and not the local station.
Yes, they (Dish) send guide data over the satellite. However, anyone with an OTA tuner has access to guide data put out by the station. The amount of data will vary by station from hours to days. I don't know about you, but I'd rather have a couple hours of guide info than none. There should be an easy software programming... "Is there guide data from the satellite?" Yes = Use that. No = Use PSIP.

That was my understanding of it. Only if it was a subchannel of the ones they carried.
But not all subchannels have guide data. So there goes that theory.

Reactions: osu1991
But not all subchannels have guide data. So there goes that theory.
They do. What has happened is either Dish or the station has an incorrect "ID" for the sub-channel(s). I recall explaining (part of) this (to you) a few days ago regarding "TSID" that is part of PSIP. What happens is the station assigns an ID to each of their channels (including sub-channels). They provide this information to Tribune, TV Guide, and so on. Dish took that info and loaded it into a database or something similar. For simplicity sake, let's just say (using my locals) it looks like this:

WPTD, 16-1, TSID = 1234
WPTD, 16-2, TSID = 1235
WPTD, 16-3, TSID = 1236
and so on.

Tribune sends the guide data to Dish and Dish matches the 16-2 data from Tribune with "1235" that they parse from the PSIP data. The receiver then displays that.

What has happened (reference the multiple, long threads about incorrect OTA guide data here at this site) is the station changes the TSID, adds a new sub-channel with a new TSID, and so on. The issue is that Dish's database is static or fixed/locked or not updated. So now, Tribune sends guide data for 16-2, the station has changed the TSID to 1239, and Dish can't match it up anymore.

Another situation is a station only had a -1 channel but now has more. That database of Dish's has no record of a -2, -3, and so on sub-channel, so it can't match up guide data, and we see the station's call letters or on previous receivers, "No guide data" or something similar to that.

Reactions: charlesrshell
They do. What has happened is either Dish or the station has an incorrect "ID" for the sub-channel(s). I recall explaining (part of) this (to you) a few days ago regarding "TSID" that is part of PSIP. What happens is the station assigns an ID to each of their channels (including sub-channels). They provide this information to Tribune, TV Guide, and so on. Dish took that info and loaded it into a database or something similar. For simplicity sake, let's just say (using my locals) it looks like this:

WPTD, 16-1, TSID = 1234
WPTD, 16-2, TSID = 1235
WPTD, 16-3, TSID = 1236
and so on.

Tribune sends the guide data to Dish and Dish matches the 16-2 data from Tribune with "1235" that they parse from the PSIP data. The receiver then displays that.

What has happened (reference the multiple, long threads about incorrect OTA guide data here at this site) is the station changes the TSID, adds a new sub-channel with a new TSID, and so on. The issue is that Dish's database is static or fixed/locked or not updated. So now, Tribune sends guide data for 16-2, the station has changed the TSID to 1239, and Dish can't match it up anymore.

Another situation is a station only had a -1 channel but now has more. That database of Dish's has no record of a -2, -3, and so on sub-channel, so it can't match up guide data, and we see the station's call letters or on previous receivers, "No guide data" or something similar to that.
I don't disagree with anything you say. But it doesn't invalidate what I said. I think you have it right on the part I bolded... Dish doesn't change their database, which still results in the customer not seeing the guide data. If Dish chose to utilize PSIP guide data, we'd at least have that information.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts