Tricks on getting a new 811 (Existing 522 Customer)

max2k1

Original poster
Oct 11, 2004
Hey folks:

My first post here :)

Am an existing Dish customer with a 522 receiver (under DHA plan - leased).

Want to get HD :) -- was thinking about adding a 811 to the mix so that I'll have HD+522 on my main TV and 522 servicing the 2nd TV (that way I can have DVR on both TVs).

Called DISH and seems like there is a $50 charge (plus the monthly lease) to get the 811-wtf !!
And they won't even ship me the 811 so that I can install it myself :(

Any tricks on how to get this $50 waived (and if possible get into the 6 month free HD promotion ??)
Maybe talk to my local retailer (radioshack etc) perhaps ??

Also does the idea of using 811 and 522 to get HD and DVR on my main TV sound OK ?

Thanks for your time !

Also since they will be installing it that will include ANY upgrades needed to your DISH to be able to hookup the third tuner. If they would ship you the 811 that would be a $24.95 charge. So for the additional $25.05 ($50 total) you are getting a really good deal.

HM, my first post after many days of just reading.

As it is, I called Dish today to get an 811 receiver, as my local Dish outlet/installer doesn't have any in stock nor will have any for several weeks.

So for the $50. as fore mentioned in the above threads, a Dish contractor (or what ever one calls them) is coming out this Thursday to install it.

I can't complain so far :cool:

Thanks for the views ...

So maybe $50 is not that bad after I read your posts :)

OK -- so does the idea of using a 811 and 522 seem reasonable ?
I mean I don't want to pay the huge $$$ for the HD-DVR ... so I just want to use it separately (I do understand that I can't record HD content -- that's OK).

Plus one more Q ... do I need a separate antenna to get OTA HD stuff ? Or does DISH pick it up using, well the dish ??

Ghostwalker said:
HM, my first post after many days of just reading.

As it is, I called Dish today to get an 811 receiver, as my local Dish outlet/installer doesn't have any in stock nor will have any for several weeks.

So for the $50. as fore mentioned in the above threads, a Dish contractor (or what ever one calls them) is coming this coming Thursday to install it.

I can't complain so far :cool:
Ghostwalker

Any luck on getting the 6 months of HD programming FREE promotion ??

You can use the 811 and 522 like you have described. I have a 811 and 508 connected to my HD set. Just connect to different inputs and make sure the 811 gets set to remote id the 522 isn't using.

NightRyder

hpman247 said:
you will need an OTA antenna. The Dish will not pick up OTA broadcasts.
Thanks for the info .... is there a recommended list of OTA antennas that work well ?
Any URL or reference would be nice :)

max2k1 said:
Ghostwalker

Any luck on getting the 6 months of HD programming FREE promotion ??

Tried that route with one of their reps, it didn't work. Even threaten to drop Dish and goto Direct..still didn't work.

I don't give up easy, working on another route during the install...I'll see if that boat floats. :D

Not sure if this is an issue, but the 811 will need an additional cable unless they change out for a DP44 switch. In my case, running an additional cable to my Family room HT is not an option.

WeeJavaDude said:
Not sure if this is an issue, but the 811 will need an additional cable unless they change out for a DP44 switch. In my case, running an additional cable to my Family room HT is not an option.
Thanks .... so I don't have to necessarily run one more cable ??
What is this DP44 thing ? Would that somehow "split" one of my existing cables into two ?

Any signal degradation / other problems with using this -- or is it as good as running a new cable ?

A DPP44 will cost you... well alot 200 for the switch itself. then you have to buy the seperator. Basicly the DPP44 allows 2 signals on one wire for the dual tuner units. To my Knowledge it only works (2 on 1 wire) for the 522, 322, 921, 721 units. but you would only have 2 wires coming in one would have a seperator on it and the other wouldnt.

Again the cost is extremely high but your installer likely wont have one.

Oh wow -- didn't know that "option" costs >$200 :)
Its no longer an option for me !!!

Yeah -- what's one more cable ? - I already have 3 running ... I can handle 4 :)

Would call DISH and set all of this up !
Any references on OTA antennas ? - what do they cost approximately ?

Winegard and Channelmaster make good OTA antennas if you're pretty far from the towers.

Make sure you start out at http://www.antennaweb.org. That site'll get you the info you need on what signals are available in your area and the type of antenna you'll need to pull those signals effectively.

Awesome -- thanks folks ...

From antennaweb, I'm within 9 miles of all my OTA stations and all of them list the type as "yellow-uhf" -- so would the Zenith antenna mentioned work in this case ?

BTW, is the Zenith Silver Sensor the same as Zenith ZHDTV1Z ?

Thanks again - and sorry for the seemingly basic questions -- just starting out on this :)

Quite probably. Give it a try, if it doesn't work, bring it back. The Silver Sensor and the ZHDTV1Z are one and the same.

I just left a note on a different forum post regarding my 811 upgrade which I will be getting in about 10 hours, tomorrow morning.

811 for $5/mon, no programming committment, free install and I can use my old receiver (5000) for a second room.

Install was scheduled for 2 days after calling in and agreeing to the deal. I am anxious to get OTA digital broadcasts as I get crummy VHF reception.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)