trouble reading netflix rentals

cebbigh

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 24, 2005
Frostbite Falls
HD-A1 software issues on several discs

Last two HDDVD rentals from netflix would start to play and then my HD-A1 would turn itself off. The rentals were The Good Shepherd and Children of Men. The flip side regular DVD version of Children of Men played fine. Any HDDVD's that I own and have played in the past also work fine.

Is there a known issue regarding this?

EDIT: Determined this is not a Netflix issue. Is a problem specific to these two HDDVD discs and Toshiba says they are working on a software fix.

Last edited:
Last two HDDVD rentals from netflix would start to play and then my HD-A1 would turn itself off. The rentals were The Good Shepherd and Children of Men. The flip side regular DVD version of Children of Men played fine. Any HDDVD's that I own and have played in the past also work fine.

Is there a known issue regarding this?
Yes, see link.

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/goodshepherd.html

I had NETFLIX for about 3 months and cancelled, out of 6 movies, 1/2 would not work because of scratched discs. Ticks you off to sit down on a Saturday Eve to watch a movie and have it screwed up. And of course, it's about a week turn around to get it replaced. At least if I got it local, I can run to the store and exchange it.

Thanks for replies. Just got off the phone with Toshiba. Yes they are aware of problems on both titles. It's in the disc software. Not my player so that is a relief.

After running into the problem I attempted to download 2.1 (still on 2.0) and the download would not complete. Toshiba confirmed that 2.1 has been pulled and that in the next couple of weeks 2.2 will be released and that should clear the problem playting the two titles too.

Thanks for replies. Just got off the phone with Toshiba. Yes they are aware of problems on both titles. It's in the disc software. Not my player so that is a relief.

After running into the problem I attempted to download 2.1 (still on 2.0) and the download would not complete. Toshiba confirmed that 2.1 has been pulled and that in the next couple of weeks 2.2 will be released and that should clear the problem playting the two titles too.

That's very good new about 2.2 coming out, for 1st gen. players. 2.w was supposedly necessary to enabling the internet interactivity that's coming out on Blood Diamond July 2. But, for me and a majority using HDMI>DVI to connect to the DVI connection on their display it created havoc I reverted back to 2.0 on disk within a day.

It amazes me what people do to rental disks; just because you don't own it doesn't mean you have to treat like a piece of trash. But I suspect the Postal Service equipment / personnel aren't kind to those disks in paper sleeves as well.

But, I've had only one unplayable disk from Netflix - a HD DVD combo that the two sides were coming unglued. Another HD DVD had a lot of problems. There's a thread about the "boiling water trick" in which several claim if you submerge a disk in boiling water for 15-20 seconds and wipe it clean it cures it. I can't bring myself to try it, but an alternative method of washing the disk with dish soap under hot tap water cured that other troublesome Netflix rental for me. ;)

There have been reported issues with playback on Children of Men and The Good Shepherd, more so on the Xbox add-on. Both (purchases) played fine on my XA1. Digital Video Essentials (HD side) apparently currently does not play on the Xbox add-on. I saw Amir post on AVS that a Spring Update due in early May is supposed to cure DVE & other playback issues. :cool:

Last edited:
I continue to be amazed at what people do to those disks. You would think someone who spends the money to get at HiDef player would take better care of them. The copy we got of Babel looked like someone took a brillo pad to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts