Trouble with Snow outages?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jvmcdowe

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
I live in Syracuse NY and the guys said they could only mount on the peek of my three story house. Will the fact that I can't get to my dish be a problem when it starts snowing mass amounts here? Also, any tips on placing my order? Any way to get 2 DVRs without paying the extra $100? Thanks for any help you can offer.

If you mount the dish on your peak,maybe mount it on a 4 foot pole as well.Do you have alot of trees or something?We have a house in Booneville we didn't mount it on the roof. We have it mounted on a 2nd floor deck. Never had a problem. All the lake effect snow is always blowing on the back of the dish anyway.We don't have a 5lnb up there ,but we have a 3 lnb.

There are what they call dish warmers that heat up your dish and melts snow when it is cold. Do a google for dish warmer and you can purchase one and mount it on the back of the dish.

The snow is EZ,
The warmers work........if you can spray PAM (the shortening) on the dish as winter begins that also will keep the ice off (sorts)...and you can pull a plastic trash bag over the dish & arm..(works better but looks,,,,wait for it,,,,trashy.
Also the dish is pointing south & west so the first sunny afternoon the snow will melt enough to see Judge Judy...Maybe not a 1:00PM kick off, however.

Joe

Snow has never caused me problems and we've gotten 3 feet in one day before (lake effect snow heaven). Only thing I lose signal on is an ice storm that puts a inch of ice on the dish or real heavy sleet. Last year we had such a bad ice storm I had to get warm water and melt the ice before I'd get a signal back.

My advice, keep that dish in arms length. Mine is on a pole in my backyard so it's easy brush off snow or melt ice as needed.

From my experience, snow will take out the signal so either mount it where you can get to it or put the warmers on it unless you're willing to do with signal until snow melts. About 1/2 to 1 inch of the wet, heavy stuff takes mine out but it takes about 4" of the light, fluffy snow.

If you've got a good arm, hitting it with snowballs will usually knock enough of the snow off to get pretty good signal back - no joke, I've done it many, many times. Mine is roof mount too and hard to get to. Not sure if I got the arm and accuracy for 3 stories though.

Hey, thanks for that tip bonscott87. Never thought of that - will try to remember it when the snow starts and dig out one of the kid's soakers. Tried a garden hose a few times but it usually has a chunk of ice froze in it somewhere.

Is the OP'er in Eureka where you can have snow in the summer appearantly ...
Eureka fans will know what I'm talking about !!!

Jimbo

Hey, thanks for that tip bonscott87. Never thought of that - will try to remember it when the snow starts and dig out one of the kid's soakers. Tried a garden hose a few times but it usually has a chunk of ice froze in it somewhere.

easy fix, keep a hose in the house

I live in Syracuse NY and the guys said they could only mount on the peek of my three story house. Will the fact that I can't get to my dish be a problem when it starts snowing mass amounts here? Also, any tips on placing my order? Any way to get 2 DVRs without paying the extra $100? Thanks for any help you can offer.
I think its actually the cloud cover or the storm in the upper atmosphere that adds to the problem. On the day my new 5 lnb was installed and peaked to 97/100 on all sats it rained stormed here. I didnt have TV for an hour. I thought the new dish might help with rain fade but its actually worse.

JVMSDOVE,

GOOGLE DTV ACCESSORIES.....there are a bunch of them. All the dish warmers seem to need an AC line to heat them. They are metal plates that clip on to the existing dish. Remembering that the dish
is pointed south, the first clear afternoon will (should) melt you out anyhow.

Joe

Pam and a broom.

Pam never worked for me...

V. I have had very good luck with outages , very few. I do know that when the signal goes out I have a very strong storm coming.
It essentially IS the storm clouds that block the signal, most cases if I do lose signal it's only for a few minutes AND before the storm gets here !
I am surprised by your lack of success with this dish.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)