Trust me, you need an inverter

Every so often, I poke through random pages at SolidSignal.com to try to find things that even I didn’t realize we carry. That’s when I came across this page. There are a lot more power inverters than I realized, and at quite a price difference. I have an inverter in one of my vehicles, I’m glad I do, and I have a feeling that if you had one you’d be glad you did too. So let’s take a dive into the world of inverters. I bet by the time this article’s over you’ll wonder why every car, truck, and SUV doesn’t have one.

What is an inverter?​

In order to understand what an inverter is, you need to understand the difference between direct current (DC) and alternating current (AC). There are plenty of articles that will give you a “deep dive” on this, but here are the two things you need to know.

1. DC current is the simplest way to get electricity from point to point and it’s really efficient for short distances.
  2. AC current is different because the flow of electricity actually changes direction over and over. This makes it really good at traveling long distances but it’s more complex to make things work with AC.

I know some really old-school folks will scoff at that description because I know it’s vague and incomplete. But it does cover the high points and lets you know a bit of why cars run on DC and houses run on AC. Cars get electricity from a battery in the car. Houses get electricity from a power plant far from the house.

Yes I know, if your house has solar then you are generating DC right at the house. You’re then converting it to AC because that’s what your house needs.

An inverter is the thing that converts DC to AC. It sets up the alternations that gives alternating current its name. An inverter generally also functions as a transformer, converting low-voltage/high-amperage current to high-voltage/low-amperage current. Why? Your car battery has a lot of “amps” because amps are what’s needed to give the car’s starter the power to turn the engine on. A typical device plugged into a home uses more volts than amps because it doesn’t have to turn a 500-pound chunk of metal.

Again, there are a lot of deep-dive articles on volts and amps but I like to think of it this way. Volts will make your fingers buzz if you touch a bare wire. Amps will throw you across the room.

Why get an inverter for the car?​

c-lp1-usb_medlrg.jpg

Pretty much everything you use at home plugs into an outlet. Very few things with the exception of cell phones have plugs that can go into the utility socket in the car (what we used to call a lighter socket.) If you want to use a computer, a plug-in light, or if you want to charge almost anything you’ll need a regular old power outlet. An inverter solves your problems. Plug it into the car and bingo, instant electricity for anything you want to do.

Almost anything. I have been reminded by a colleague that you can’t use an inverter to plug an electric car into itself and have it charge. Any more wiseacres in the audience?

Why don’t cars just have this built in?​

Well, some cars do. You’ll find this capability in some SUVs, but for the most part they don’t. I really can’t tell you why that is other than, it’s another thing that costs money to do and maybe they think people don’t want it. It seems kind of silly to me but oh well. Getting back to the subject of electric cars, you would think at least those would have inverters in them but… they don’t.

Of course, you can fix that easily. Solid Signal has a great selection of inverters in all shapes and sizes. Choose the one that works best for you from our selection of inverters for land and sea. If you’re not sure which one works best for you, call the experts! We’re here for you during East Coast business hours at 888-233-7563. If it’s after hours, just fill out the form below and we’ll get back to you, usually within one business day.

The post Trust me, you need an inverter appeared first on The Solid Signal Blog.

Continue reading...

Reactions: AZ.
What would you run off of your car's battery? Pretty much everything I use at home wouldn't be suitable for use in a car.

If your car is a hybrid or an EV, this becomes even more problematic as the batteries in many new hybrids run higher voltage "house" batteries (Tesla is using a 16VDC Li ion battery now).

I want and can use an inverter. I want to tap 12v out of my 2024 model X (15.5v Li battery). I tried a 300W in the 12v outlets, but that device is now broken.

Not sure at all about how or where to tap into- or if I should abandon the whole idea.

Besides the odd job, I want to go to our RV when the power is out, like all winter, and be able to power lights, maybe the propane heater and fan, and maybe the small 120v 3.5A / propane refrigerator. Maybe even a small TV/DVR. And enough left over to trickle charge the RV’s 12v lead acid battery.

I want to tap 12v out of my 2024 model X (15.5v Li battery).
That's a different device altogether. What you're looking for is a "buck converter".

These are effectively a DC "transformer" created by putting two inverters back-to-back with some rather high frequency AC between them.

I used one on a 36VDC golf car to run some cheap LED driving lamps.

That would be part of the solution, if needed at all. I need 120v and am still estimating the total wattage needed. And I’m not sure what wires where would support such wattage. 1,000 W? 1,500?

Might not even be doable in the new X.

I need 120v and am still estimating the total wattage needed.
If you need 120VAC (or 120VDC for that matter) don't say you want 12VDC. That being the case, you need a very special inverter or a buck converter plus a conventional inverter.

There are generator sizing applications that might help add things up if you have a number of loads.

As with all quests for a solution, it is better to state your end goal rather than slip in somewhere in the middle.

I have a question for all the inverter experts here. :) I have a champion generator, and I want to use it to power up my natural gas furnace if the hydro goes out. Unfortunately the furnace won't come on when connected to the generator.

I borrowed my friends inverter and it works just fine on the furnace. I am thinking that the generator AC output is too dirty for the sensitive board on the furnace.

I am thinking about purchasing a UPS and plugging the furnace into that. I would then simultaneously plug the UPS into the generator. Would that work?

Thanks

I want and can use an inverter. I want to tap 12v out of my 2024 model X (15.5v Li battery). I tried a 300W in the 12v outlets, but that device is now broken.

Not sure at all about how or where to tap into- or if I should abandon the whole idea.

Besides the odd job, I want to go to our RV when the power is out, like all winter, and be able to power lights, maybe the propane heater and fan, and maybe the small 120v 3.5A / propane refrigerator. Maybe even a small TV/DVR. And enough left over to trickle charge the RV’s 12v lead acid battery.
Your RV doesn't have a Generator built into it ???

My 2016 and 2023 Ford F-150's both have AC in it, I DO need it as I have a friend that is on Oxygen, so I can have her not use the battery in the portable oxygen machine until were out of the Truck.

I have a question for all the inverter experts here. :) I have a champion generator, and I want to use it to power up my natural gas furnace if the hydro goes out. Unfortunately the furnace won't come on when connected to the generator.

I borrowed my friends inverter and it works just fine on the furnace. I am thinking that the generator AC output is too dirty for the sensitive board on the furnace.

I am thinking about purchasing a UPS and plugging the furnace into that. I would then simultaneously plug the UPS into the generator. Would that work?

The prices have really dropped on small inverter generators. Maybe get one to just cover you furnace load?

Stuey neglected to mention. And they should dump all stock of the RV series inverters. To get with the program and start selling pure sine wave inverters. The generator not delivering a proper sine wave and regulated voltage is common with sensitive electronics that require it. The price of a pure sine wave inverter is just too comparable with the old school modified sine wave units that it just makes sense. Honda inverter generators deliver nice, pure, voltage regulated power. And they tandem nicely should you decide to double power in the future.
Others do the same thing. If you go to harbor freight. I'm sorry.
Last summer my buddy and his wife brought their toy hauler RV up from Arizona. An impressive but dated solar system that they commonly just pull over and camp totally off grid.
We got talking. Installed new lithium batteries and an mppt charge controller. Added 2 more 320 watt panels and tig welded up a couple of choice easel stands to complement the two on the roof. Then put a pure sine wave inverter along side the existing one and wired it in. It was fun.

As for mobile 120 vac power. A little planning and tidiness is important. A power bank in the trunk with a battery or batteries and isolator. Definitely fused with more than adequate cabling. Forget wally world inverters. Watch a little youtube with the subject in search. Perhaps a robust relay/contactor that is ignition switched to power it.
So when you run the engine the batteries (for inverter) charge. Just ideas.
The trim panels either side of the seats and doors usually have a roomy place to run a good gauge cable pair. Still. Invest in some good quality convoluted sleeving and grommets or even cable glands where holes might need to be bored through the firewall. Did a friends Peterbuilt and with 500k miles on it now. No issues at all. He can nuke a TV dinner while listening to ZZ Top, make coffee. Play games on his console. Stuff.
Lots of options. I always ask what the budget it. If it's too cheap I shake my head nope, not me, sorry.

I am thinking about purchasing a UPS and plugging the furnace into that. I would then simultaneously plug the UPS into the generator.
The same property that renders conventional generators problematic for electronics makes them unsuitable for the electronics inside a UPS.

Inverters generators are getting surprisingly inexpensive as long as you're not shopping the Japanese motorcycle brands. I'd almost go so far as to say that what an inverter saves in fuel may make up the difference in purchase price if you have an intermittent load like a furnace.

Reactions: stecle
Harshy. What is impressive of the particular mentioned by you brands is the thought taken in the design and function of them.
Adaptive engine load/rpm is pretty cool. Being whisper quiet. A cable that can allow two gensets to be tandem connected that make them work together and adjust their speeds according to load.
Nothing you plug into them burps or pukes because the output is clean and regulated.
Being able to not have to shut them down to fill the tank with an extended run kit. Although that's the safest way to do things. All of that is "out there" to research.
Easy shut down for storage and the ability to drain gas from the carb instead of just shutting the fuel off and letting them run the carb dry. Same for the gas tanks. How many pull a genset out with old crap in them still and they don't start without spending an hour and cans of carb cleaner, etc. Changing the oil is well thought out also with no slop.
It don't matter to me. They have fantastic resale value. "Buy once, cry once".
Did I do wrong when a northern gal who moved to South FL called asking about backup power?
I kinda' thought so when I had her run down to the dealer and grab a 2000i generator and order a Kill A Watt.
Talked her through over the phone for the first startup. Break in. And shut down for storage.
Had her run through the house and look at nameplate current draw for the fridge, microwave, coffee maker, TV and stuff. She made a spreadsheet and got smart real fast. It was impressive.
What was more impressive was getting a call after a tropical storm knocked out the juice. She was up and running in a few minutes on the second pull of the rope. And told me that the Kill A Watt was a smart thing to get.
She was kinda' pissed and stressed because of the storm. She had forgotten the combo to the cable to tether it to her Escalade and keep he vandals at bay. Smart chick!
But of course then. Harbor freight has a store near you next to the lotto store. Take a chance. Or not.

Reactions: Comptech
What is impressive of the particular mentioned by you brands is the thought taken in the design and function of them.
The features you mention are no longer exclusive to the more expensive generators. Most inverters now have parallel capability as well as adaptive throttle control.

Harshy. What is impressive of the particular mentioned by you brands is the thought taken in the design and function of them.
Adaptive engine load/rpm is pretty cool. Being whisper quiet. A cable that can allow two gensets to be tandem connected that make them work together and adjust their speeds according to load.
Nothing you plug into them burps or pukes because the output is clean and regulated.
Being able to not have to shut them down to fill the tank with an extended run kit. Although that's the safest way to do things. All of that is "out there" to research.
Easy shut down for storage and the ability to drain gas from the carb instead of just shutting the fuel off and letting them run the carb dry. Same for the gas tanks. How many pull a genset out with old crap in them still and they don't start without spending an hour and cans of carb cleaner, etc. Changing the oil is well thought out also with no slop.
It don't matter to me. They have fantastic resale value. "Buy once, cry once".
Did I do wrong when a northern gal who moved to South FL called asking about backup power?
I kinda' thought so when I had her run down to the dealer and grab a 2000i generator and order a Kill A Watt.
Talked her through over the phone for the first startup. Break in. And shut down for storage.
Had her run through the house and look at nameplate current draw for the fridge, microwave, coffee maker, TV and stuff. She made a spreadsheet and got smart real fast. It was impressive.
What was more impressive was getting a call after a tropical storm knocked out the juice. She was up and running in a few minutes on the second pull of the rope. And told me that the Kill A Watt was a smart thing to get.
She was kinda' pissed and stressed because of the storm. She had forgotten the combo to the cable to tether it to her Escalade and keep he vandals at bay. Smart chick!
But of course then. Harbor freight has a store near you next to the lotto store. Take a chance. Or not.
Arlo, I like that she tethered the genset to the Ecalade. I was still in south Florida in 2004. The county had but generators on the traffic lights and chained them to the poles. They all disappeared. They had to have deputies at every one to keep them from getting stolen. My favorite and have to say the guy was smart, was a few blocks from me a guy was running off his generator and watching TV. Generator power went out but he could hear it still running. Went out to check what was going on and found a push lawnmower in place of his generator!

Comp. I lived in Orlando when Charlie, Frances, and two others passed through in a very short period. Sad because the oaks that lined city walkways and jogging trails were suddenly all gone. And what's the first thing that people have to do after storms like that?
Go for a ride. With blown around stuff all over the place and roofing shingles all over the side streets.
And. What holds shingles to a roof? Yup. Nails. Surprising how many folks don't know how to even change a tire.
Anyway. Generators. Truckers getting stopped at the border with loads of the cheapest generators to scalp people.

But. There was a rampant case of people with generators waking up in the morning with them cranking away outside but no juice at the fridge. No lights or anything else hooked up to power strips.
They would look outside to investigate and find pawn shop lawn mowers in place of their generators.
True as heck.
My buddy Jack got smart in a hurry. Jacked his F-150 up and stuck his under the bed and chained it to the frame. Let 'er down and rested easily.