Trying To Avoid Potential PVR721 Issues

ItamaeChef

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
Hi Everyone!

I've found some completely awesome information here which has led to me a stumbling question. I'm going to be getting a new SuperDish Install near the end of the month. I'm also buying a PVR721 because I need the dual tuner setup over the DVR510's single tuner setup.

My question is this...
After the installation is complete and everything is all happy I plan on setting up my PVR721 and getting everything going. I understand that I'll have to place a call into Dish to have the card and unit activated for service. Here's where my situation might pose an issue.

I'm getting the PVR721 because of it's dual tuner and the fact that there are no PVR charges each month. So, when I call into the nice Dish people and speak with the nice CSR is someone going to say, "Hello Sir, so we need to activate your new unit. Ok, the charge per month for PVR functions will be yada yada yada" Thus, defeating my whole purpose for getting the unit.

Help me out. How does this work?

They know that the 721 is a NO VOD receiver. They will just tell you it's $5/mo for the extra receiver. (I just did this :) )

Make sure you run 2 cables from the SAME SWITCH to the 721 (and, if it's a SW64, from either input 1&2, or 3&4).

(This is in the 721's book, btw).

Ok, great!

Next questions though...
When you say NO VOD I know you mean No Video On Demand which begs me to ask. Does this mean that it will only allow scheduled programming? Can you hit REC while watching?

I know it's kinda petty but I just don't know. Thanks again for all your help!

ItamaeChef said:
Ok, great!

Next questions though...
When you say NO VOD I know you mean No Video On Demand which begs me to ask. Does this mean that it will only allow scheduled programming? Can you hit REC while watching?

I know it's kinda petty but I just don't know. Thanks again for all your help!
I meant no VOD Fee. You can REC while watching, and all the standard DVR stuff.

I knew I missed a word.

Sorry 'bout that.

LER

Man, that's great! It just seems funny that Dish would allow those receivers to function like that without hitting us with the charges same as everyone else. Works great for me though!!!

I wish they had kept to their original plan of no charges for the DVR's in general after the 7100/7200 fiasco :).

(I originally had 2 7100's, then up/side graded to 2 501's, and just added the 721 last week).

So far, I like the 721, but it seems to have some "interestingnesses". See my posts in this forum.

PS...
I cant think of any issues this would have with a SuperDish but does anyone else?

I added a 721 at the end of December when my superdish was installed. I have had no problems with it and really enjoy it. You should have no problems hooking it up to your superdish.

No SuperDISH here, but my 721 has performed rather well... Had a hard crash on it about 2 weeks in, it had to reload the operating system from the image it had stored on the disk. Lost all my recordings (fortunately didn't have much).

Since then, it has worked without any major problems.

How long have you had your 721, aperry?

So far, I'm at about a week (with the RMA'd one. the first one was weird stuff...).

LER

Reviewing everyone's posts another question came to mind...

My setup is a 2 room scenario. 1 receiver for the bedroom and 1 receiver for the living room. Now, I know that with the 522 dual tuner E* will actually charge you for having an extra receiver just for the fact that the 522 is a dual tuner.

Example:
Bedroom - Standard 301
Living Room - DVR 522
Monthly Service Cost + PVR Fee + (2) Additional Receiver Charges = 3 Room Setup Fees

Now...
Does this same equation apply with the PVR 721. I know that it is a no VOD Fee receiver. But will I have to pay for a 3 room setup like mentioned above? Do you follow me?

Were you going to buy an additional receiver or just split the 721 output and possibly get an extra remote? If you split, you won't be able to watch separate shows in each room. I currently split my 721 output up to my bedroom, from my family room via a 2 diplexers. I have a 501 in my bedroom, but sometimes I want to sit in bed and watch stuff I recorded in the family room. I bought an extra 721 remote for convenience as well. I have had numerous remote wars with my 9 year old :).

JL

ItamaeChef said:
Now...
Does this same equation apply with the PVR 721. I know that it is a no VOD Fee receiver. But will I have to pay for a 3 room setup like mentioned above? Do you follow me?
The 721 counts as ONE receiver. It also has ONE output for ONE TV.

I.E. You can watch 2 tuners, but they both must be on the same TV, one being the PIP.

I would assume that there wouldn't be any additional setup fee, may depend on who you buy it from. I have heard of addition fee for the 721 for the second line (RG6), but I wasn't charged that. I gave my installer some side money to run some diplexers, so I could watch my 721 from my bedroom though, I think it came to an extra 15 to 20 bucks.

Were you going to do the DHP (Digital Home Plan)?

I think the 522 would be your primary receiver, and an extra 5 bucks for the 301 + the VOD fee, and then maybe an addition install charge on where you wanted your 3rd output? I think that you may get charged an additonal receiver fee if you don't connect your 522 to a phone line, but I can't speak for that.

The 721/301 would be 1 additional receiver charge + monthly charge + possibility of an additional install charge for second line, but doubtful.

I have a 721/501, that seem to do the trick and no VOD fee's. I would also seriously consider the 1.99 warrenty add on, I have used this 2 times, once on a SW44 and then once on a SW64, and never on my 501 or 721, but the warrenty covers all E* equipment.

JL

I only wish it was still $1.99.

Thanks for everyones response though. I thought it would only count as one but I just had to make sure. You know how it is...