Tuner Card for Dish HD

jamesfisher2713

Original poster
Feb 17, 2005
I recently upgraded to a VIP-722 from a 522. Before, I was able to split the RF cable coming out of the 522 going into the TV and mirror it to a RF input onto a TV Tuner card. Now, with the 722 there isn't an RF out that I can do this with, at least with TV1. I am using Component Video along with the red and white composite for Audio going into the TV leaving me with the yellow video composite to go into my tuner card but this doesn't work. All I am concerned with really is video. While watching TV my wife digitally scrapbooks and whatches TV in the corner of her monitor while listening to the audio out of the TV. I haven't ruled out that the yellow composite video on the tuner card is bad, but my feeling is that its a digital signal that my card isn't accepting. I have come to this conclusion because if I split the TV2 RF coax cable and run it into my tuner and put my VIP-722 in single mode it works fine, but I would rather have it mirror TV1 rather than TV2. Does anyone else do this, and if so what type of card and inputs are you using?

The ViP622 and ViP722 RF can carry both TV1 and TV2 on different channels. Look for "modulator setup" in the menus.

Sounds like the yellow/video may not be working, hook the yellow to TV and see if it works,if it does then your card is bad or you need to change input

"Now, with the 722 there isn't an RF out that I can do this with, at least with TV1."

As Pepper said, there is only 1 single RF output on the 622/722. The TV1 output can be turned on and off via the "modulator setup" in the menu. You must first turn on the the TV1 output and then select an output channel.

The 722 is suppose to be almost identical to the 622 that I have.

TV1 has several outputs: HDMI, Component, S-Video, & Composite; as well as a Digital Audio output.

TV2 has a single Composite (Yellow Video, Red Right Audio, White Left Audio) output.

However, as Pepper said, there is an RF Home Distribution connection that will output both TV1 and TV2 on a single cable throughout your house. Go into the menu to set it up.

I'm not familiar with the 522, so I don't know what channel it used to feed your TV and Tuner Card, but suspect it was probably Channel 3 or 4. You should be able to take the cable from your Tuner Card Input and connect it to the 722 Home Distribution connection, then set the card to the same Cable or UHF-TV channel as your 722.

The 622 TV1 and TV2 outputs are limited to the following Channels (Frequencies):
- TV Channels 21 - 69 and
- Cable Channels 73 - 125

Don't forget to activate this mode and set it up.