tuner rebooting every ~20 minutes or so

Dee_Ann

Angry consumer!
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Texas
HELP!!

I have two identical VIP211K systems.

One is running fine, the other has been running fine for about a year and a half since I purchased it (to replace one that burned out.)

For some reason today the thing has decided to reboot itself at random. It averages about 20 minutes but sometimes it can be as little as 10 minutes. It goes through the loooong, slow process of finding the satellites each time which takes over five minutes.

If you count the time from when the video freezes and the screen goes black and figure in the signal acquisition time it's about every 25 minutes in total.

Both units have cooling fans on them (actually laptop cooler thingies) because they run HOT without a fan.
Both systems have external disks aka EHD as I believe they are called by Dish.

Because the disks also run hot I have fans on both of them as well.

IMG_0537.jpg

I've never had any trouble like this before, I'm at a loss. I held down the power button and forced a reset, I pulled the power cord for 10 minutes to try and force a reset but nothing is helping.

I did bring up the system info screens on both and the funny thing is, they are showing different info about stuff like the software that's installed. I don't know what all that stuff means but it's stuff like
DNASP, bootstrap and hardware ID are all different between the two systems. Shouldn't they both show identical information? Maybe Dish is twiddling with updates this weekend?

Is anyone else having random, unexplained reboots too? I can't figure out what could be wrong. The one that's messing up is plugged into a battery backup system and the incoming cable is all RG6Q and it passes through the lightning protector on the battery backup, that would be normally used for a cable modem.
Actually all of my electronics are on battery backup units and the cables from the dishes pass through lightning protectors. Anyway, we haven't even had any bad weather so that's not going to be a factor.

Please tell me this is just some quirk from software twiddles by Dish and that it'll fix itself sometime tonight.
The last thing I need is to have to buy ANOTHER ancient tuner to replace this one.

Thanks.

Never mind. The disk died. I lost a LOT of stuff I really, really wanted to keep. I'm very, very unhappy with this.
I think it's CR*P that Dish won't let you move recordings to a backup disk for when this very thing happens.

I had a brand spanking new DVR grade disk I had bought to replace the failing disk in my security cameras.
I could hear the old disk making clacking sounds which are a sure sign of death. So I popped the new disk into the drive bay and it's formatting it right now.
Now I have to buy ~another~ disk for my security cameras. At least this new disk is rated for 24/7/365 multi stream recording.
91Nk0qsM8WL._SL1500_.jpg

The other good thing I suppose is that the price is only about $83 for another one so it's not a huge financial burden.
I'm just extremely angry at losing a bazillion recordings that I really wanted to keep.
I really, really hate Dish's policies that don't allow you to backup your stuff.
From now on I'm going to rip everything straight to my Mac so I can keep a copy forever. Because I backup my stuff.
Bloody well can't backup Dish stuff.. :computerwindow

Oh yeah, and I find this whole thing highly suspicious that it died on new years day. Hmmmm..

Never mind. The disk died. I lost a LOT of stuff I really, really wanted to keep. I'm very, very unhappy with this.
I think it's CR*P that Dish won't let you move recordings to a backup disk for when this very thing happens.

I had a brand spanking new DVR grade disk I had bought to replace the failing disk in my security cameras.
I could hear the old disk making clacking sounds which are a sure sign of death. So I popped the new disk into the drive bay and it's formatting it right now.
Now I have to buy ~another~ disk for my security cameras. At least this new disk is rated for 24/7/365 multi stream recording.
View attachment 123207

The other good thing I suppose is that the price is only about $83 for another one so it's not a huge financial burden.
I'm just extremely angry at losing a bazillion recordings that I really wanted to keep.
I really, really hate Dish's policies that don't allow you to backup your stuff.
From now on I'm going to rip everything straight to my Mac so I can keep a copy forever. Because I backup my stuff.
Bloody well can't backup Dish stuff.. :computerwindow

Oh yeah, and I find this whole thing highly suspicious that it died on new years day. Hmmmm..
It's not DISHs policy it's the content OWNERS.

Sent from my iPhone using Chrome.

It's not DISHs policy it's the content OWNERS.

It's still Dish's fault, and Direct's, and everyone else's that let the content owners dictate this abomination. They should've been told that if they were going to behave irrationally they would be left to starve like the worthless excuse for human beings they are.

I usually have pretty good reading comprehension, but I must have missed something here. The OP is all pissed off at DISH because she had a hard drive go bad? How is DISH supposed to facilitate backing up an external hard drive, and why should they?

And, what does the fact that it happened on January 1 have to do with it?

Reactions: Hall
I usually have pretty good reading comprehension, but I must have missed something here. The OP is all pissed off at DISH because she had a hard drive go bad? How is DISH supposed to facilitate backing up an external hard drive, and why should they?

And, what does the fact that it happened on January 1 have to do with it?
You have to be familiar with the OP and her history here... Nuff said!

Reactions: KE4EST and bobvick

You've figured them out, Dish/Echostar is in a huge conspiracy with the hard disk manufacturing cartel, Western Digital, Seagate, Hitachi, and Samsung, and the Russians, to send out a code on 1/1/17 that renders the hard drives connected to ViP 211 series receivers useless so you have to go out and buy a new one. I think the plan is to render the ViP 211 series to become a doorstop on 1/1/19 so you have to upgrade to a Hopper 4 or Hopper 5 that should be out by then. I think it will support HoloVision (holographic television) and will require you to hook a node up to your brain to watch it, and so the military-industrial complex, and the red Chinese, and the Russians can track your every move.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: charlesrshell
It is possible to clone VIP211 hard drives, you must use cloning software that does a bit by bit copy of the drive or others have found it possible to create a fresh drive with no recordings and copy the file folders to the new drive with linux.

It has been a long time since I investigated this but it does work, not easy or for the novice.

I have found it propitious to keep my programs in smaller groups on smaller drives (250GB) so as to not lose everything when one fails, which they will.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)