Turbo HD---feel a little misled

Some of them in preview mode by the flag in current system tables.
From the EPG (not sure if any of these are on free preview)

84 - HSN
85 - SRN
86 - JTV
104 - SRI Free Preview
218 - TJC Free Preview
219 - ALIVE
220 - SLTV Free Preview
221 - LSHOP
222 - HSN Free Preview
223 - SRN Free Preview
224 - SHOP
226 - GEMTV Free Preview
228 - SHNBC Free Preview
229 - GEMS
259 - INSP Free Preview
262 - ANGEL
264 - KTV
265 - CCTV9
266 - ANGL2
605 - ANTEN Free Preview
652 - KBS
672 - DANDA Free Preview
716 - STAR+ Free Preview
826 - ACDEM
855 - FSESP Free Preview
883 - SLTV Free Preview
884 - CCTVE
903 - AAGTV Free Preview
9400 - RSRCH
9401 - HITN
9402 - HHS
9403 - BYUTV
9404 - UWTV
9405 - PNTGN
9406 - ARTS
9407 - COLRS
9408 - STARF
9410 - LINK
9411 - NAUHS
9412 - UCTV
9413 - ALMA
9414 - V-ME
9415 - FSTV
9416 -GSN
9417 -EDUCA
9418 - PAEC

Last edited:
Wow...my first post and I'm accused of being a "complainer about everything". Maybe some of you should wait until I have some more posts before making a such a judgmental statement.

Let me clarify...the tv ads and the dish network website say that Turbo HD is a 100% HD service. Either it is or it isn't...and it isn't. Why advertise 100% HD when it's not? I just started a business relationship with Dish and I find out what I got wasn't as advertised.

It isn't a benefit to get something you don't want. If you don't like french fries and you get a bag full of fries when you buy your burger, and all you asked for and all you ordered was a burger, it isn't a benefit.

As I said, I switched because I wanted an uncomplicated channel guide and only HD service. I only have HD sets in the house and I have no need for nor do I want the SD channels. And it's not just SD versions of the HD channels, they've thrown in a lot of other channels also (ie the Home Shopping Network).

I also stated that I found a solution to the problem. I appreciate the posters that understood that it wasn't that there wasn't a solution, it was...as the original post stated...that I felt a little misled. Maybe I just haven't drank the kool-aid yet. :)
Ok.. Stop feeling and start thinking. The HD chanels are there. They are relatively speaking, very inexpensive. Just use the guide to your advantage and display HD only . If you want all HD locals, by all means use the OTA feaure to your advantage. As of Feb 19, 2009 all OTA broadcasts will be in digital format. Your local channle pic quality should improve.
DISH Network - TurboHD - 1.888.825.2557
The site does not claim that all programming shown is in HD. It simply states that a customer can order an HD package that is 100% HD channels. Nowhere deos it state that all programing available is in Hi Def..
For example TNT HD.. This channel shows reruns of certain programs that were shot before HD was in existence. LAw & Order comes to mind. Before 2004 or so (not sure of the actual year) this show was not shot in HD. So there reruns are not in HD even though they appear on TNT on both TNT HD and TNT SD..Did you expect Dish to run a blank screen on the HD channels when the program on both SD and HD was not filmed/taped in HD.
Hope this clears things up just a bit

dishcomm, you can stop and think a second. The complaint is all the trash and garbage that comes along with this. Yes, it can be turned off, but why should this be necessary?

Can someone explain how getting 50 channels of pure commercials... is beneficial?

dishcomm, you can stop and think a second. The complaint is all the trash and garbage that comes along with this. Yes, it can be turned off, but why should this be necessary?

Can someone explain how getting 50 channels of pure commercials... is beneficial?

The shopping channels pay Dish to broadcast their programs. This subsidizes the cost of programming.

Yeah...the CSR told me that too. The problem with that is that not all my locals are in HD so they fall off of the guide.

I just finished programming a favorites channel with just the Turbo Gold channels and my local non-HD channels.

Guess my question is...why advertise 100% HD and then provide a lot of non-HD channels?

So are you upset that you get your locals that are not in HD?

i believe you may be treading over into the area of a la carte..In a way...Anyway see the response abefore this. That explains the situation...Unless there is a radical change in the way prgramming is distributed and how billing works, seeing exactly the channels we want and only those channels is not going to happen.

Sheesh!

We should all be sales reps for Dish. Seriously, a new customer comes along and correct or not gets their nose rubbed into what, three pages of criticism?

While I didn't post the thread, when I switched back to E* this August and got the TurboHD Gold package as well, it was "hmm, ok there's a lot of SD stuff here as well". But the pricing was good!

I'll use the ALL HD guide setting once all of my locals are HD on E*, but like the OP, I'm using a customized guide in the mean time.

Since the 722 downconverts the HD on TV2, there really isn't a need for the SD channels. I suspect that they are there simply for the carrier agreements and have to provide them in terms of the HD agreements with those providers.

So I don't really blame Dish, and it's extra stuff. But I can see where the OP is coming from. Cut new customers some slack, or it'll soon be only old customers griping how the service is more expensive due to less subscribers offsetting the cost.

I dont think he is complaining so much about the sd channels as he is about Dish saying the turbo packs are 100% hd. That is wrong. I think he is more mad about the false advertising. If they want to include all of the other sd stuff, that is fine, just dont say it is 100% hd. It isnt.

Uh, It is 100% HD, in our capitalistic universe--Not false advertising. He is only paying for the HD channels which come with SD simulcasts and the shopping channels. BIG DEAL! I have had this discussion with many subs, and they nod there head knowingly, that of course they (Dish) open up the shopping channels for viewing--that's capitalism, always throwing in what you don't need or want--and they don't mind the SD equivalants, either, "Just as long as I'm not paying extra for them." No, you are paying for the HD channels. Every company selling services plays this same game.

Now, Dish should get on the ball and add the feature to eliminate the SD equivalents from the guide the same way we can do that with HD Locals, WITHOUT have to use the Hide feature.

Sheesh!

We should all be sales reps for Dish. Seriously, a new customer comes along and correct or not gets their nose rubbed into what, three pages of criticism?
+1

I've recently been checking out the DirecTV side of things, and there ain't nothin' like these shitstorms over there. What a crock.

Fed up with Dish and the culture. Going to DirecTV.

Thanks..

Thanks for the list of channels. Thanks for taking the time to do this. It's very helpful for deciding if I go TurboHD or stay with the W5 pack.

This has been one of my complaints that it's hard to get an actual channel list from anyone (Espically through Dish dealers which should have them-- honestly-- what BS) of what you get on any of the TurboHD packs. They are available for the SD packages, but not the HD. It's almost like a "how much do you got!" type deal and it concerns me, but I'm cynical by nature anyway. Even the local dealers don't seem to have that info or a unit authorized that has all of the HD channels. I am suspect of Charlie Ergen, so I want to know exactly what I'm getting myself into. :)

Actually.. that list might cement the deal. I see KBS is in the list. I've adopted four children from Korea and KBS (with 68% subtitled programming supposedly which seems to be the case for the short time it was FTA on the fss Ku band feed to Dish-- this was alive for about two weeks two years or so ago)... I was in Korea about a month and a half ago for the last adoption. And, yes, I'm done adopting!

Anyway.. for the C-bander.. the TurboHD packs are actually a great deal for C-banders.. I have a W5 package that has gone up $11 twice for 6-month packs the last two times and is now $28 month and is losing channels. But with only the loss of a channel or two the silver HD pack is about the same on channels that I actually watch to the SRL (Programming Center) HITS pack... for a few bux more.. and I can even get two to three rooms out of it which is important for me since I'm tired of watching Toon Disney 12 hrs a day... :rolleyes: If NPS/All American Dish could work with DN to get a $5 or $10 month discount with a NPS pack that'd be a big hit imho.

On C-band, we can also ala-carte some of the missing channels back! :cool:

Oh, DirecTV seems like a good deal until the first year is up. I could not get a DVR/HD pack for less than $72 when all of the promotional crap is up. I don't want to offend anyone, but to me someone with pays $2.50-$3.00 a day for TV has questionable sanity. The HD packs may be a good deal unless they will be jacked up significantly.

Fred

If i'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me, but it may be an FCC regulation or such that certain channels (all of them SD so far) are mandatorily carried, i.e. the public interest channels.

The Shopping channels are another story, they PAY to be included in every package and contractually they are therefore mandatory also.

I don't believe any carrier can legally offer a package that is truly HD only, because there are SD channels that are mandated, maybe not specifically but as a class (public interest).

If i'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me, but it may be an FCC regulation or such that certain channels (all of them SD so far) are mandatorily carried, i.e. the public interest channels.

The Shopping channels are another story, they PAY to be included in every package and contractually they are therefore mandatory also.

I don't believe any carrier can legally offer a package that is truly HD only, because there are SD channels that are mandated, maybe not specifically but as a class (public interest).

You are correct about the public interest channels.

The difference is in the reports of how the respective companies treat their subs. Over in the DirecTV forum I get unanimously positive reports. Absolutely not so here.

This matters.

Not to mention that Dish has a rep for trying to steal receivers, as they've done successfully with me so far.

Well, after many years with DTV and Dish I grow thick skin, I wouldn't base my decision on those factors when prevail for you now. But we are different and you choose your way ...

I guess you're saying that I am 'too sensitive'.

Well, I haven't spent 12 hours on the phone with them because my feelings are hurt. I have been trying to keep from getting ripped off.

Completely different issue. This seems obvious to me, but apparently not to you.

Funny

I guess you're saying that I am 'too sensitive'.

Well, I haven't spent 12 hours on the phone with them because my feelings are hurt. I have been trying to keep from getting ripped off.

Completely different issue. This seems obvious to me, but apparently not to you.

That is very funny. My brother has has to spend hours on the phone w/Directv in the past. This is one of the reasons he will be leaving Directv for Dish as soon as the 722k comes out.

I see no problem with SD versions of the same channel on the TurboHD package.

I think most people put it best when they said "alot of people have SDTV's in the house", and the second tuner of a 722, or the like, is only ouputting SD anyway(I am right about this, aren't I since you can output the second tuner either through RF, or composite yellow/Red and white RCA stereo cords anyway?).

So you can watch the SD versions on your old tube tv, and the HD on the main tv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts