TV Calibration

ZandarKoad

Amish Satellite Technician
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 13, 2005
Nashville, TN
How come more people don't get their TV's properly calibrated? I mean, it seems like it would be a hot topic considering what people go through and what people pay to get HD TV...

So seriously, why don't people do it? (Not a rhetorical question.) Hell, I've been installing satellite systems for 8 years, and really only just learned about calibration recently... You would think the satco's would want their techs trained in at least the BASICS of grayscale and color calibration.

Heck, I'd be willing to settle for the following:

1. Stop connecting HD DVRs with RF coax connection. This is a Comcast policy.
2. Get people to take TVs out of the torch mode it ships with.
3. Turn off the smoothing filter.
4. Adjust the color temp to WARM/6500K or whatever is proper.

How can you hope for an ISF calibration that costs several hundred dollars when 80% of the sets out there don't do the simple stuff? In my experience, the movie or THX mode is in the ballpark for most modern sets, but even if you suggest it, most people won't try it for the 10 minutes it takes them to adjust. They will tell you it is too dark and go back to torch.

Most people dont want to spend or have the money. Yeah sure, I own my own junk and rant on about 10 pt gamma adjustment, but I get a lot of "who gives a sh*t looks" :)

I agree with Jay, if you do the right research and buy a set thats pretty accurate in factory mode, then set a few things with a test disc, you are doing well. And yeah, THX modes have come a long way and look pretty good outta the box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)