Tv Japan

wowz01

Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
Hi, I would like to install DISH to watch Japanese language programming but have been told by the installers that it is not possible due to large trees in the area.

From the "TV JAPAN" website, it says one can receive programs through the 61.5W sat as well as American/Japanese programs through 118.7. I don't really care if I get American cable channels, though it would be nice, but mainly require the TV JAPAN service.

The installers took about 10 minutes and pointed almost due west, telling me that a big tree was in the way and that they couldn't tell me exactly which one was the problem due to liability issues. They then told me a supervisor would come and double check........

After doing some checking, here is some info on my location:

For the 118.7/119 satellites:
elev-23.1
azimuth(true)-237.4

For the 61.5:
elev-40.3
azimuth(true)-163.2

Now, it seems to me that the techs just checked the 118.7 and gave up (from the direction they pointed) while the 61.5 has a good chance of working with its much higher elevation angle. The "supervisor" has not showed up and I doubt he ever will.

I really really would like this to work as its my only option, with IPTV and Cable not offering TV Japan. Here are my main questions:

-Is there a way for me to personally check whether or not I can receive a signal without equipment?
-How can I make sure the techs are competent, and can I get my own techs free or cheap if the DISH ones are bad?
-Does the 61.5 sat also transmit American programs? (Seems odd if not)
-In your experience, is it ever truly "impossible" to receive a DISH signal??

I'm a bit desperate because this is truly my only option for these programs and it's seeming like my last option isn't even going to work. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

umm, it could very well be possible to get non competent installers, but anyways,
-you would need a dish to check the signal whether you check it with a receiver or a signal meter.
-You could always call a local retailer yourself and see if you can get them to come out and check.
-61.5 is an HD bird with lots of locals (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) for the eastern states. Also as soon as everything is in place, it will be a part of dish's all MPEG 4 service known as eastern arc.
-If you own your property and are willing to cut down whatever trees are in the way, then you should be able to get service.

I get TV Japan from 61.5 & 118.7 (I have 2 dishes). Here is the link for programming that you can get on 61.5...it is mostly HD, International, & local channels:

EKB: Dish Network Channels at 61.5°

You could call a satellite installer in your area and get them to come out and do a private install for you without going through Dish. They will probably try harder to get your programming as you would be paying them directly, rather than using someone Dish sends out for free. I did this after a Dish tech come out to my place and said I could not get a clear "line-of-sight" to the satellite. He was rude and quickly left. I called another company in the city. He came out and made it work somehow, after spending about 2 hours. After they left, I called Dish and activated service. Of course, using this method, you have to buy all the equipment (receiver, dish, and pay for the installation), rather than "renting" it from Dish for the life of your service.

Good luck.

Assume TV Japan is dropped from 61.5 what can you receive that you want to watch?

Do you have some inside info that TV Japan would be dropped? :confused:

If I couldn't receive TV Japan, I'd probably cancel the service. I'd be fine with OTA HD channels in 2009, but I do want TV Japan. It seems way too expensive to buy all the equipment when I really only want one channel though it would be nice to have a bunch of HD channels and a DVR.

I think I'll call and ask for another tech and try to work something out with 61.5, see if it works and see if I can get some sort of package if I can't receive from 110/119/118.7

Forgot to add: I've read about this Eastern Arc service.......would it include all normal American programming when it goes online? I'd love to just have one dish pointed at 61.5 (if it works) and get HD American channels and TV Japan. I guess the next step is to ask DISH directly about 61.5 and getting another tech visit.

Dish Network is moving the International channels from 61.5, 121 & 148 over to 118.7 so they only need them in one spot

Dish Network is moving the International channels from 61.5, 121 & 148 over to 118.7 so they only need them in one spot

Hmmm....guess I'm out of luck then. Oh well, another guy is coming to check again but maybe it's just not possible. Seems like the 61.5 satellite is underused and has a good viewing angle.......why can't they stick everything on that one?

because they have other ideas for it (a little thing called Eastern Arc) and when people sign up and want an International channel they only need one dish (instead of two)

Hi, I would like to install DISH to watch Japanese language programming but have been told by the installers that it is not possible due to large trees in the area.

From the "TV JAPAN" website, it says one can receive programs through the 61.5W sat as well as American/Japanese programs through 118.7. I don't really care if I get American cable channels, though it would be nice, but mainly require the TV JAPAN service.

The installers took about 10 minutes and pointed almost due west, telling me that a big tree was in the way and that they couldn't tell me exactly which one was the problem due to liability issues. They then told me a supervisor would come and double check........

After doing some checking, here is some info on my location:

For the 118.7/119 satellites:
elev-23.1
azimuth(true)-237.4

For the 61.5:
elev-40.3
azimuth(true)-163.2

Now, it seems to me that the techs just checked the 118.7 and gave up (from the direction they pointed) while the 61.5 has a good chance of working with its much higher elevation angle. The "supervisor" has not showed up and I doubt he ever will.

I really really would like this to work as its my only option, with IPTV and Cable not offering TV Japan. Here are my main questions:

-Is there a way for me to personally check whether or not I can receive a signal without equipment?
-How can I make sure the techs are competent, and can I get my own techs free or cheap if the DISH ones are bad?
-Does the 61.5 sat also transmit American programs? (Seems odd if not)
-In your experience, is it ever truly "impossible" to receive a DISH signal??

I'm a bit desperate because this is truly my only option for these programs and it's seeming like my last option isn't even going to work. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

If you live near a Japanese supermarket or video store, just rent the drama series at the store instead. TV Japan cost way too much $25 a month for one channel and it is mostly NHK programming, not the popular shows from other stations (Fuji TV, TBS, NTV). You can get TV Japan news for free without subscribing to TV Japan if that is what you want.

which korean channel? Most already have moved and they're working on shutting down the old slot (61.5/148). They stripped 121 of Int'l channels and removed them a week or so ago

Would it be safe to say that KBS would stay at 61.5 for now, since it is (apparently) a Public Interest channel?

which korean channel? Most already have moved and they're working on shutting down the old slot (61.5/148). They stripped 121 of Int'l channels and removed them a week or so ago

KBS World. The only good korean station on Dish Network.

Also, since AZN TV shut down, it would be nice if Dish or another satellite provider would pick up ImaginAsian TV - they have a deal with Fujisankei TV and I think IATV will be the home for good quality Japanese TV as a result.

I have to agree that I have never subscribed to TV Japan, but looking at the EPG, I don't think there is a lot of great programming outside the relatively staid NHK News broadcasts, which are free with a subscription to anything else, as long as you have a dish pointed at 61.5.

I also agree that KBS World is great. For one, (as a non Korean speaking viewer) I appreciate that it's free of charge, and most of the programming is English subtitled. I think TV Japan should just make their whole channel free of charge, if it's mostly NHK programming anyway (which appears to be the case) and increase the amount of programming that has an English alternate audio and/or subtitles.

Also, since AZN TV shut down, it would be nice if Dish or another satellite provider would pick up ImaginAsian TV - they have a deal with Fujisankei TV and I think IATV will be the home for good quality Japanese TV as a result.

I have to agree that I have never subscribed to TV Japan, but looking at the EPG, I don't think there is a lot of great programming outside the relatively staid NHK News broadcasts, which are free with a subscription to anything else, as long as you have a dish pointed at 61.5.

I also agree that KBS World is great. For one, (as a non Korean speaking viewer) I appreciate that it's free of charge, and most of the programming is English subtitled. I think TV Japan should just make their whole channel free of charge, if it's mostly NHK programming anyway (which appears to be the case) and increase the amount of programming that has an English alternate audio and/or subtitles.

KBS World is the best.

IATV is owned by Comcast and other cable companies. They will never be added to satalite dish. And, sat companies won't add these channels worrying that no one will subscribe to the pay international channels.

Fujisankei should make a 24 hr station in US. They got enough drama series, shows and their own news team in New York to make a pay channel station. I doubt TV Japan will ever be free. They are charging 24.99 each month without discount. This shows how the tv stations in Japan values power and money.

Dish is still uplinking NEW international channels to 61.5°.
Most recently Dish launched "DREAM", an arabic language channel on 769 at both 61.5° and 118°. This happened on 5/28/08.

I still have a note on RAI International (Channel 600) saying the channel could move at any time. RAI is the only international channel (other than Spanish) to remain at 119°. This channel was supposed to move to 61.5° back in 1998!!!!

Given this info, I would not fold up TV Japan's tent at 61.5° very soon.

FYI:
TV Japan is currently available on:

Channel 640 at:
61.5° on tp 18
148° on tp 11

Channel 641 at:
119° on tp 9 spot beam 1 (Hawaii ONLY)

Channel 675 at:
118° on tp 28

All of these channels and locations show the exact same channel and programming.

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts