TV Over Wireless Network?

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
Is there a way to have television over a wireless network using 802.11 a/b/g or something else? What kind of picture quality could one achieve doing this? This would be great for laptops. Would also be great for those that want to look at the signal strength screen with different types of receivers such as FTA. You could take a UHF Pro remote with you and change the channels wherever you go.

If you have TiVo, you can stream between them using MRV (only on Series2, and if it's a DirecTV TiVo, then it has to be hacked first). There are some wireless devices that kinda work, the closest thing I've used is one that worked over a phone line. Quality was decent considering it used composite cables, no svideo. It even passed remote signals, provided you had the ir blaster setup on the base unit.

I have a Hauppauge WinTv PVR 2 Personal Video Recorder that uses the usb-2 port of my laptop to capture video from coax or RCA/S-Video source. It also says MPEG-2 on it. It even has a connection for an FM Antenna where I can tune in radio stations on my computer. I was thinking that there could be a way to transmit from a wireless card on my laptop or transmit to a wireless router to any other computer that has a wireless card. This would allow me to watch tv on a laptop or any computer with that card or on the network whether I am around the home. I have a wireless g router. One laptop has wireless B and the other wireless B/G.

The MediaMvp just connects to the network to allow your Hauppauge card to send Audio/Video to the MVP for display on your TV. It wouln't connect to a video source and broadcast it back over the network.

I'm currently building a Dual Tuner PVR box that I will connect to a 322 to View/Record shows and send them via my LAN to MVP boxes next to my TV's.

I will then be able to control the PVR from any TV via the MVP and watch a recorded show, live TV from one of the 322's tuners or stream my MP3 collection with out the worry of how the heck I'm going to get the show off the box if I decide to archive any of it.

A good site on how to build your own PVR's instead of using a D*, E* or Tivo box is http://forum.byopvr.com/dvr/