TV Pricing n Massapequa Park, NY

chrism380

Original poster
Sep 13, 2005
Massapeequa Park, NY
So Verizon gave me a call yesterday and they finally are accepting orders for their TV service. I'm not jumping up and down with excitement yet, but for some folks who don't competitive shop the cable and sat companies against each other, it will work. I'm sure a competitive pricing war is ready to break out here on LI - not sure how Verizon will be able to play into that game.

Pros
29.99 landline (yes) phone service for unlimited local and long distance - that is awesome!
5.00 extra for vm, call waiting, etc
10.00 discount on FIOS Internet
DVR and HD Service Together
records 2 shows at same time, watch 3rd

Cons
Set Top Box a bit pricey - HD/DVR 12.95
Set Top Box for Standard - 3.95
If they can not use the existing coax in the house it is 54.95 per jack!
I'd have to give up my DTV TIVO, so there is a bit of a hassle factor there
No YES Network in Expanded Basic Service

With the exception of the $29.99 unlimited calling, everything there is standard pricing. $35 is the standard cost for the calling package with all the bells and whistles, excluding unlimited LD. $40 is the current running special for 15/2 service w/ 1 year commitment.

I'd doublecheck on the unlimited LD.

Go price Cablevision, their HD DVR would cost you $15.19/month! $5.24 monthly box fee plus $9.95/month for the DVR service.

Set top box for standard is $5.50/month plus .24/month for the remote.

FIOS TV seems cheaper and with D* raising prices come March 1st as well as going towards a lease model with receivers, FIOS may be priced the cheapest depending on what the packages cost. I welcome it, just wish my condo building in Great Neck were wired for FIOS and a franchise agreement were in place for FIOS TV. Only reason to keep D* IMO is the HD Tivo & NFL Sunday Ticket!

I've found if you competitive shop the different players here on LI you get deals - no one likes to lose a customer. I've got the DTV HD Tivo Receiver, One standard Receiver, Extended Basic, and all the move channels except Showtime and the Movie Channel for 69.17. The only hassle is that you need to typically call every 6 months and speak with their customer retention department. Switching from TIVO, leaving XM Radio Music Channels, is a bunch to give up. But you are right, when the rates go up, that increase will definitely be passed on; that may be the perfect time to switch.

I'm not saying verizon is overpriced, it definitely is competitive and when you consider you can get a major disount on your landline and internet its a good deal.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out when you have all these providers (verizon, cablevision, DTV, Dish) competing for business.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)