TV2 - Is Composite better than RF?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Offroad

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 13, 2004
My primary TV in the Living Room, is hooked to our Dish 722 receiver via component cables. We used to have a 27" CRT in the Bedroom, that was hooked up via RG-6 coax on the 722's RF connection.

The CRT was recently replaced by a 37" 1080p LCD set. I purchased a 40ft HDMI cable and its working great when I can put the receiver in Single Mode. When someone is watching in the living room, I run the 722 in Dual Mode and again use RF out for the bedroom TV. The signal looks pretty bad after watching from HDMI.

When the 722 is in Dual mode, would the bedroom TV look any better if I purchased a pre-made 40ft Composite Cable (RG-59) instead of using RF out on the 722? I could also make one from RG-6 and use Screw On to RCA connectors then just run a cheap pre-made pair for audio.

Will any of these three options produce noticeably better quality video than the others?

Thanks.

I'm not expecting it to match the HD I get from the HDMI connection, just trying improve TV2 output when I have to use it.

So I should expect at least a noticeable improvement from RF to Composite? Any advantage to RG-6 over premade RG-59 at the 40ft range?

Thanks.

I'm not sure of the Range of Composite cables, But I think Coax (RG6) has a greater distance, So with that in mind, Composite might look great when compairing 6-12 feet like a Standard composite cable, But 40 Feet May have a way different outcome.

With anything electrical, you get losses with distance. And I've never seen RG6 composite cables, Only RG59 Composite, and thats only on the( Yellow) Video side.
Audio wires are smaller yet

Last edited:
HDTVs are very unforgiving to SD. I doubt you see much if any difference.

SD looks pretty good off air, SD over RF from the 722 is not nearly as good however and I'm just wondering if SD via composite would be better.

I have a spool of 3ghz copper conductor RG-6 and compression tools.
Think I can find an RCA compression fitting and make my own RG-6 composite cable if there is any benefit over just buying a premade RG-59 composite cable.

I have a spool of 3ghz copper conductor RG-6 and compression tools.

Think I can find an RCA compression fitting and make my own RG-6 composite cable if there is any benefit over just buying a premade RG-59 composite cable.
I would try that.
What receiver are you using?

Also I'm not sure if the Power output is the Same on the Coax vs Composite Plugs on the Receiver.
I don't want you to waste your time..
Unless you don't mind.:)

All the composite cable that I've seen for sale is RG59 so if you can make your own RG6 cable, go for it. RG6 will help you specially if you have a long run, the signal loss will be less. I've tried composite over RF before and I've seen better quality, but it was a short run.

I would try that.
What receiver are you using?

Also I'm not sure if the Power output is the Same on the Coax vs Composite Plugs on the Receiver.
I don't want you to waste your time..
Unless you don't mind.:)

Its a Vip 722 and the run to the bedroom will be 40ft.

Did mine, composite video + audio, about 40ft, using Ethernet cat-5 cable with RCA plugs on each end. Quality is "acceptable."

Did mine, composite video + audio, about 40ft, using Ethernet cat-5 cable with RCA plugs on each end. Quality is "acceptable."

Wonder if the quality would be as good as an RG-6 composite cable? Sound easier to run anyway, can you share what connectors you used and where you got them?

Did mine with a 50 ft pre-made RG-59 composite cable from monoprice. Quality was much improved over coax connection(but I'm old and my eyes aren't what they used to be).
If running new wire is a problem the X-10 video sender using the composite connections works well also. I am using both methods.
Both my TV2's are 32" Panasonic LCD.

Just wait till the new sling equipment for DISH dvrs comes on line. Then with the Tv everywhere adapter and an hd media extender on the second hd tv , you will get tv 2 in full HD. Then no more runs to the second tv with long wires, coaxes etc. Just hope it doesn't cost more a month than just putting a second receiver in place.

Unless you have a burning desire to run two more wires, I don't think the difference is going to be worth the time and expense. Especially in consideration of the apparently infrequent use of the bedroom TV in this way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)