Two Active Satellites - One Service ?

jaelae

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 1, 2004
New Jersey
I just moved to a new location and had a new Dish Network satellite installed and brought over two of my three tuners. Everything is working fine and in my old location (which I am still staying in certain days during the week) the receiver there is still working. I do plan to take that and remove it, however, this will not be necessary for another couple of months (working on making the room for a tv in another spot). Anyone know if I maybe billed double for this for the meantime?

Iamb not 100% on this but I believe that dish cannot tell where your receiver is located unless it is hooked up to a phone line and the receiver calls into Dish.

Or I believe they can more-or-less randomly check your account by blocking all the receivers until you read some numbers off the screen from each receiver to them (from one location, one phone call). I don't remember the exact details though.

Since a Dish installer knows about your new location, Dish might know about it too. Why not just log on to your account online and see what it says?

I don't think that Dish knowing about the new location is the problem. He wants to know if Dish can find out that he is using an STB at his old location.

I wouldn't do anything. If my some strange chance dish does an audit, simply tell them you haven't moved the reciever yet. Dish doesn't know you have receivers in 2 locations, unless you tell them. If you are still worried unplug the phone line.

actually dish can't tell unless they do an audit you can take a reciever clear across the country to someone elses dish and plug in, the only way dish can tell is doing an audit. and more importantly if you own your recievers i would adv you to disable the recievers you are not using whenever you go from one place to another, because that is what customers are supposed to do, and in your situation, that would be ok

richmondr
jdpower #1 csr

oh yeah, so therefore you won't be charged double. but if or when dish comes out with dishes that send and receive instead of just receiving i would say dish would be able to tell but that is completely unrelated

Right now at my old location, I still stay there some nights (closer to work) and I was planning to just have basic cable (it is my sisters house and thats what they got). I feel like I am "ripping" dish off in a way, however, I am leasing these receivers from dish and none are on a phone line (I pay $4.99 for the updates) wirelessly. So far, my account online is just for my single service of 3 receivers.

I figure maybe I'm just lucking out with this for the time being if I am not getting charged double. I doubt it will last long but either way, it is not that big of a deal if I don't have it.

lol ripping off dish. You'll make it into heaven no problem my friend.

Theres no way they can tell you have receivers in multiple locations. Since you only have 3 i doubt you get audited either. Seems like 4+ you get a better chance at that. Since its only for a few months, i really wouldnt worry about it.

jaelae said:
I am leasing these receivers from dish and none are on a phone line (I pay $4.99 for the updates) wirelessly.

None are on a phone line wirelessly?

You pay $4.99 for updates? No one pays for updates.

your not ripping off dish... maybe if you had two families watching both at the same time but not if your going from one place to another.... think of as having a dish in an RV.

We should clarify a few things. You don't have two active satellites. You do not own a satellite because satellites are multi-million dollar pieces of equipment that orbit the Earth. You own two dishes. The dishes are not "active" because they don't do anything other than receive a signal. They have no ability to decode that signal so the dish is useless without a receiver. You have three active receivers that are providing you programming at two different locations. This is not illegal, per se, but it is strictly against DISH's rules. If you have programming at two different locations, you must have two separate accounts. With that said, I think most people (myself included) thinks it's ridiculous to pay for another full account especially in this circumstance. If it's only for a few months, you'll be fine.

Chad, I've never seen anyone as pedantic as you. We all notice many grammatic/semantic/typographical mistakes made by others but the vast majority of those would be considered by most to be relatively harmless. Correcting minor "harmless" mistakes can be seen as belittling or insulting others when their points are still being made and understood.

On the other hand, when a mistake leads (or is just about to lead) to confusion among others in a thread, it should be corrected. Very common examples on here: DPP vs. DP, splitter vs. separator.

But no hard feelings, and back to topic, I agree with what has been stated above. Since it's sort of a "transitional" period for you (jaelae), and your account is effectively not being used simulatenously at the two locations, you shouldn't worry about it.

[/OFF my high horse] ;)
:)

TuxCoder said:
Chad, I've never seen anyone as pedantic as you. We all notice many grammatic/semantic/typographical mistakes made by others but the vast majority of those mistakes are harmless. Correcting minor "harmless" ones can be seen as belittling or insulting others when the others' points are still being made and understood.

On the other hand, when a mistake leads (or is just about to lead) to confusion among others in a thread, it should be corrected. Very common examples on here: DPP vs. DP, splitter vs. separator.

But no hard feelings, and back to topic, I agree with what has been stated above. Since it's sort of a "transitional" period for you (jaelae), and your account is effectively not being used simulatenously at the two locations, you shouldn't worry about it.

:)

And no one ever corrects the satellite/dish thing? Give me a break. I've seen that corrected dozens of times. I was correcting an error that other people call a classic "newbie error." I wasn't insulting him. I was helping him avoid the newbie-stigma in the future that comes with saying you have have a satellite attached your home.

And since you are going to label me a pedantic person, I guess that requires me to inform you that "grammatic" is not a word. :)

chaddux said:
And since you are going to label me a pedantic person, I guess that requires me to inform you that "grammatic" is not a word. :)
The Linux dictionary seems to think so:
# look grammatic
grammatic
grammatical
grammatically

but a more authoritative source, webster.com, disagrees, so point taken. ;) :D

TuxCoder said:
The Linux dictionary seems to think so:
# look grammatic
grammatic
grammatical
grammatically

but a more authoritative source, webster.com, disagrees, so point taken. ;) :D

Some choose to consider it a word but, officially, it is not.

And if people would just learn how to spell receiver, I might stop ripping out my hair. (Insert ripping-out-hair-icon here.)

i before e except after c and before g when it sounds like an a unless you're weird, right?

There's one more word in the English language that is an exception, but I can't think of it right now. :)

See ya
Tony

TNGTony said:
i before e except after c and before g when it sounds like an a unless you're weird, right?

There's one more word in the English language that is an exception, but I can't think of it right now. :)

See ya
Tony

Don't forget "satellite" which doesn't have five I's in it. :) I've seen it spelled like "satililititie." I'm always amazed that people even get here since the word is in the damn URL! It's even at the top of the page in giant flag-colored letters!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)