Two HD outputs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jbull1381

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 16, 2008
East TN
Is there a technical or some other reason that Dish does not offer a dual receiver that has two HD outputs? Most new TV's are HD so the second HD output whould be a plus.

Mine does, but they are not independent of each other. And for the few times that we want both TV's on different channels, I can switch to the SD feed for TV2 for the kids.

I suspect that they may be concerned with getting the HD signal to TV2 in high enough quality.

The routing of coax back from the receiver to the termination box on the side of the house and then back into the house to TV2 can be a long, kludgy run and HD signal quality could suffer.

Program providers do not want any boxes out there that can produce a QAM or ATSC signal output because the digital quality creates near perfect copies of their product that could be recorded by off the shelf DVR or computer with ATSC tuner.

You will not see receivers with such capabilities, perhaps some kind of sling type output that is more difficult to copy or HDMI over CAT5 type thing for distant displays.

Program providers do not want any boxes out there that can produce a QAM or ATSC signal output because the digital quality creates near perfect copies of their product that could be recorded by off the shelf DVR or computer with ATSC tuner.

You will not see receivers with such capabilities, perhaps some kind of sling type output that is more difficult to copy or HDMI over CAT5 type thing for distant displays.
I feel that is a weak argument and have never seen anyone prove that is the case. You can do that now with component cables. The majority of DVRs and tuner devices have component inputs. The fact is the cost of a ATSC modulator is prohibitive.

I feel that is a weak argument and have never seen anyone prove that is the case. You can do that now with component cables. The majority of DVRs and tuner devices have component inputs. The fact is the cost of a ATSC modulator is prohibitive.

While you and I can see the argument is stupid doesn't mean the lawyers for the media companies can. You halve to remember its about politics not reality. As for the price of an ATSC modulator the chip set for making them is not that expensive. The reason I know this is I have a friend who works for a major electronics manufacturer.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)