Two Hoppers...overkill?

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
With price drop, thinking about Hopper, maybe two. I know many of you did not feel 3 tuners were not enough and went with 2 Hoppers. I know everyone is different, but now that you have them, on the whole, do you really use all six regularly? Be honest! After analyzing my recording schedules, one would probably do me fine, considering PTAT.

Last edited:
I have two Hoppers for just my wife and myself. We've never used all six, but there have been PLENTY of times were 3 wouldn't have been enough.

Plus it's worth it for the marital bliss of keeping "my" shows off "her" DVR :)

The more the merrier! Better to have an extra Hopper and not need it than to need an extra Hopper and not have it!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

It will be awesome once installed.

With 3 tuners and 2 TV's it's like this:

If TV 1 wants to record 2 shows at once, they can, but TV 2 can only watch one show, or play back something.

As you can see this really limits things.

With Two hoppers, now BOTH can TV's can record two things at once and watch a 3rd show.

Get 2 hoppers and never look back! Even with PTAT we use the second hopper and third hopper for that matter. But for primary watching between the two of us we do use two hoppers one as kind of the master hopper that does all of the work and then the 2nd one is the back up when the master one can't is conflicted. The third one is down stairs we don't use that one. But honestly its well worth two, for the piece of mind should one go down you still have TV in your house should one hopper fail the other one will still be online while you are waiting for a replacement to get there. I can't think of any reason not to get two unless you really can't afford it. I know I'm the weird person that has 3 but honestly get two and you will be a much happier person, I could not picture only having one my other half and I would be in fights on a nightly basis.

Last edited:
If you know your household viewing habits and potential recording conflicts, I don't see any problem with getting one hopper. Most people who are having trouble don't know that the hopper really only has 3 tuners and they are shared over the whole system (no extra tuners with the joeys).

With three people, we went with two hoppers since we needed at least 4 tuners minimum. Having extra tuners just made it easier to record more stuff than we normally would have.

I'll also add that the upgrade costs have dropped by $100 for two hoppers, so looking back that would have made the decision easier to go with two. Especially since the monthly costs are the same for say 1H/3J and 2H/2J for example.

Last edited:
If you know your household viewing habits and potential recording conflicts, I don't see any problem with getting one hopper. Most people who are having trouble don't know that the hopper really only has 3 tuners and they are shared over the whole system (no extra tuners with the joeys).

With three people, we went with two hoppers since we needed at least 4 tuners minimum. Having extra tuners just made it easier to record more stuff than we normally would have.
Yep, just the Wife and I and we rarely watch two separate TV's at the same time. I know how to get past conflicts, so I'm pretty confident ONE Hopper will do it for me.

Yep, just the Wife and I and we rarely watch two separate TV's at the same time. I know how to get past conflicts, so I'm pretty confident ONE Hopper will do it for me.

If PTAT did not exist, then 2 hoppers would be necessary for us. As it is, PTAT does exist and as such it allows 3 tuners to be just right. The majority of what we record is during prime time and with PTAT capturing all 4 major networks during prime time with just 1 tuner we no longer have to pick and choose what shows are more important. Being as though it is just you and the Mrs., I think you will be fine with 1 hopper.

It would take 2 hoppers for me and my wife,while we do watch some things together she isn't into sports.Tonight for example just for myself I need 3 tuners.The UNC-VA football game,the NFL game,and LAst Resort.Wife doesn't like any of those 3 lol.

Small feature hopper has the Joey does not, Picture in Picture, may not be a big deal just wanted to point that out

Decision made...One Hopper. Can always get another later if need be.

KAB said:

sounds good kab, have you got the order setup yet?

Enjoy, I know I have been. :)

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

I came from DTV with 4 dual tuner DVRs to a Hopper and 3 joeys for 4 people. Soon I learned that I was 2 tuners short of what we really needed. Got a second Hopper and I have never been happier. I think the performance of the Hopper is superior to that of my old HDDVRs, but to each his own. (Thinking ahead though, if one of my Hoppers should malfunction, I already have a backup receiver until a tech shows up to replace the faulty one. Clearly, I appreciate the advantage of 2 Hopper system over 1 Hopper.)

sounds good kab, have you got the order setup yet?

Enjoy, I know I have been. :)

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app

Been talking to Zach. Just need to say go when he comes back on-line tomorrow, or whenever.

gregleg said:
I have two Hoppers for just my wife and myself. We've never used all six, but there have been PLENTY of times were 3 wouldn't have been enough.

Plus it's worth it for the marital bliss of keeping "my" shows off "her" DVR :)

Same here

This is my situation.

But I have two hoppers along with two joeys. We have both Hoppers at the main viewing location and the Joeys at the master bedroom and guest room. PTAT enabled on one Hopper only. Hoppers are switched with an AVR. If Hoppers ever get fully integrated, one Joey will be heading back to headquarters.

KAB said:

The only problem with that concept is that adding another one later will end up costing more. However you know your needs better than I do so if you're pretty sure that you won't want another one later then 1 should be fine. Are you coming from 1 722? If so then 1H/1J will be a similar (but better) experience with an extra tuner to mess around with whether it be PTAT or more recordings. Also, you can now add another tuner with the OTA dongle.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

I went with one Hopper and one Joey. One of my big reasons was PTAT, and seeing as that only uses one tuner, the other two are plenty for me to get my other recordings handled. We never watch in separate rooms, only reason I have the Joey on is for a second tv during football.

DVR Integration fee

vip 211k

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)