Two HR24 or One HR34?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

oncewaslost

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
Ok the delima is I want three receivers. Either One HR34 + 2HD OR Two HR24 +1 HD.
My wife says Two HR24 because she has come to expect failure. (Receiver NOT me;)) Thinking 1/2 working is better than none in the event of failure.

What I really want to know is how well the two HR24 will work together. For example, if you set a recording from the standard HD receiver, how does it determine which receiver is assigned the recording? If you set a recording on one HR24 and there is a conflict can it be assigned to the other HR24?
I sounds like the HR34 would make life much easier, but I'm working an angle here:cool:

What I really want to know is how well the two HR24 will work together. For example, if you set a recording from the standard HD receiver, how does it determine which receiver is assigned the recording? If you set a recording on one HR24 and there is a conflict can it be assigned to the other HR24?
I sounds like the HR34 would make life much easier, but I'm working an angle here:cool:

I have two HR24s. From a receiver, you choose which device to record it on. There is currently no way to assign a recording to a DVR from another DVR, conflict or not. You can physically go to the other DVR and assign it, or possibly from your mobile device.

I currently have Insight cable and that is how I have to set up recordings. It's a PITA and I will be glad when I don't have to do it that way.

Anybody have a wiring diagram for different options for Whole-Home DVR? I can't wrap my head around how many feeds from an LNB to some voodoo switch, and how many cables to a five tuner dvr.

My choice would be to go with HR34 and 2 HD receivers. That way you can schedule recordings on the 34 from all 3 units. On the HR24s you have to be on that unit to schedule the recording or use the internet or your phone to schedule the one you are away from. I don't know the storage size on the 34 but is it double 2 24s ? MRV will be the same with either configuration. One other advantage if you have really fast internet is that 2 HR24s might download VOD material faster than the 34, but you need some real bandwidth to make that happen. (And I think there is a restriction of about 5 megabits on the MRV coax line anyway.)

Anybody have a wiring diagram for different options for Whole-Home DVR? I can't wrap my head around how many feeds from an LNB to some voodoo switch, and how many cables to a five tuner dvr.
You really don't need a wiring diagram. You get a SWM LNB with one wire coming down to the HR34 receiver. Behind the receiver you put in a power inserter that drives the LNB. That is all.

Now if you want some other receivers you get a green labeled splitter. Since you have a max of 8 tuners that the SWM LNB can drive and you are using 5 in the HR34, you get a 4 way splitter not an 8 way. You just put that in the line going to your LNB. And then run a single wire to each of the receivers. All very simple. It gets a bit more complicated if you are not using H24/H25 receivers, but not much. Of couse you have to have MRV activated and pay the additional $3 per month.

For VOD you just add D*'s wireless router in the line behind your HR34 and you have it all. Simple.

Hope this answers your question.

PS. Give you wife a real big hug. My wife usually expects failure on my part more than the machinery. :eek:

You really don't need a wiring diagram. You get a SWM LNB with one wire coming down to the HR34 receiver. Behind the receiver you put in a power inserter that drives the LNB. That is all.

Now if you want some other receivers you get a green labeled splitter. Since you have a max of 8 tuners that the SWM LNB can drive and you are using 5 in the HR34, you get a 4 way splitter not an 8 way. You just put that in the line going to your LNB. And then run a single wire to each of the receivers. All very simple. It gets a bit more complicated if you are not using H24/H25 receivers, but not much. Of couse you have to have MRV activated and pay the additional $3 per month.

For VOD you just add D*'s wireless router in the line behind your HR34 and you have it all. Simple.

Hope this answers your question.

PS. Give you wife a real big hug. My wife usually expects failure on my part more than the machinery. :eek:

I know that they must be professionally installed. I just don't understand the capability of current LNB's & switches.
So you are saying only one line goes from the LNB to the switch? Only one line from the switch can feed a 5 tuner receiver?
Things have come so far so fast!

You can get a HR35, HR24 and a HD(non-dvr) receiver. With this setup, you will have two hddvr's. 8 tuners, 7 of which can be used to record programs. A swim 8 system will be able to handle such a setup.

Ok the delima is I want three receivers. Either One HR34 + 2HD OR Two HR24 +1 HD.
My wife says Two HR24 because she has come to expect failure. (Receiver NOT me;)) Thinking 1/2 working is better than none in the event of failure.

I have 3 HD DVR's,a HR24,HR23,& a HR22. I also have two HD receivers,a H25 & a H24. To your question of how do you set up a recording from your HD receiver to either of your HR24's(if that's the route you go),when setting up your whole home system,with each bo:mad:receiver/DVR)under settings for whole home you have "Name Location." My name locations for my DVR's are "BEDROOM,LIVING ROOM,& MASTER BEDROOM." When you set up a recording from your receiver,it gives you a choice of which DVR you want to record the program from. If you go 2 HR24's & a HD receiver,you'll also need a Cinema Connection Kit to connect to both your DTV splitter(so the internet can run through your coaxial cable to your DVR's & receiver) & your router. If your router is nowhere near your splitter or any of your STB's,you can get a Wireless Cinema Connection Kit to connect wirelessly to your wireless router. Now if you go the HR34 & 2 HD receivers route,I've been told that you can connect an ethernet cable to your HR34 & your internet connection will run from your HR34 to your receivers via coaxial cable. In both scenarios that I've given you,you only need to connect an ethernet cable either to your non-wireless Cinema Connection Kit or your HR34,whichever you choose,all other HD DVR's &/or HD receivers do not need to be hooked up to your internet by ethernet cable.

I know that they must be professionally installed. I just don't understand the capability of current LNB's & switches.
So you are saying only one line goes from the LNB to the switch? Only one line from the switch can feed a 5 tuner receiver?
Things have come so far so fast!
Yes, things have come a long way. What basic SWM does is setup 8 different frequencies between the SWM head and the various tuners all carried over a single coax line. So you only have to have one wire to each DVR and receiver. Even though the HR34 has 5 tuners in it and gets 5 channels of SWM, there is only one coax connection. Since the basic setup only has 8 frequencies you can only have a total of 8 tuners on the setup. (A regular receiver has 1 tuner and the standard DVR has 2.) Multi-room viewing also transports on this single coax cable. So, yes, the technology has really moved along in the past few years.

Last edited:
Yes, things have come a long way. What basic SWM does is setup 8 different frequencies between the SWM head and the various tuners all carried over a single coax line. So you only have to have one wire to each DVR and receiver. Even though the HR34 has 5 tuners in it and gets 5 channels of SWM, there is only one coax connection. Since the basic setup only has 8 frequencies you can only have a total of 8 tuners on the setup. (A regular receiver has 1 tuner and the standard DVR has 2.) Multi-room viewing also transports on this single coax cable. So, yes, the technology has really moved along in the past few years.

I'm with Dish but looking at a HMC34 and 2 HR24s. Is this more than the SWM can handle? What would be the wiring with this setup? Also I see that there is a SWM3 and a SWM5 Dish?
Which of this would be used for a setup with a 13901 (binghamton, ny) setup?
Thanks as I know alot about my dish setup after 14 years but nothing about direct tv setups/switches/etc...
Gerry

Binghamton locals are on 103 (one of the HD sats) so a SWM3 would be fine

For the setup you mention you would need a SWM16. Add up the tuners (5+2+2) and you get more than 8. The SWM16 requires 4 lines from the LNB whereas the SWM8 is only one cable

SWM3 is 99/101/103
SWM5 is 99/101/103/110/119

99 & 103 is the HD sats
101 is the SD channels
110 is not used
119 is mainly for Spanish channels

Thanks Iceberg! I came up with 9 tuners also and wondered what was beyond the 8 :). Four lines from the lnbf is a lot compared to 1 line! What does dtv call the switch all these lines go into, or do they go directly to the receivers?
Gerry

Is the swm16 a switch?

Binghamton locals are on 103 (one of the HD sats) so a SWM3 would be fine

For the setup you mention you would need a SWM16. Add up the tuners (5+2+2) and you get more than 8. The SWM16 requires 4 lines from the LNB whereas the SWM8 is only one cable

SWM3 is 99/101/103
SWM5 is 99/101/103/110/119

99 & 103 is the HD sats
101 is the SD channels
110 is not used
119 is mainly for Spanish channels

Last edited:
All but the SWM16 look like a splitter

I have a SWM8 (2 DVR's 1 receiver) and one cable goes into the splitter and one cable to each receiver (DVR only needs one). There is a power insterer that is hooked up in line for power.

here is the SWM16 (you only need one as you can hook 2 8 way splitters on it)
http://manuals.solidsignal.com/SWiM16.pdf

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts