TWO portable Dish antennas for two-channel access?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jsaturn

Original poster
Jan 22, 2011
Palm Springs CA
I have a question. about the portable Dish antennas - I am located in Montana, in a Park where I've stayed for years. Great parking spot in the park - but - the trees have grown up such that, when it's windy, the signal goes in and out from my roof antenna (Traveler). I have a 722 Dish DVR with the two inputs, connected as usual with the roof, via a splitter and the single input coming in from the rooftop.
My question is whether I could buy TWO portables, plug TWO coaxials from the two portables, one into each "in" jack on the DVR, and get the same signal result as I do presently (absent windy condtions as abovedescribed) - as I now get from my rooftop antenna on my RV? Any ideas would be appreciated.

I don't think so. During the Switch check, the VIP 722 will fire satellite selects out both ports and that would drive the two domes crazy.

I'm not entirely clear on what advantage you hope to gain with this setup. Could you rephrase what your end goal is?

Side note: Your single line in to the 722 is not connected via a "splitter." (At least, it shouldn't be.) It is connected via a DPP separator, correct?

I have a question. about the portable Dish antennas - I am located in Montana, in a Park where I've stayed for years. Great parking spot in the park - but - the trees have grown up such that, when it's windy, the signal goes in and out from my roof antenna (Traveler). I have a 722 Dish DVR with the two inputs, connected as usual with the roof, via a splitter and the single input coming in from the rooftop.
My question is whether I could buy TWO portables, plug TWO coaxials from the two portables, one into each "in" jack on the DVR, and get the same signal result as I do presently (absent windy condtions as abovedescribed) - as I now get from my rooftop antenna on my RV? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Not sure I fully understand but those inputs are for the two tuners, what you are calling a splitter I have to assume is a DPP separator. Having more than one satellite certainly can be done, done all the time, but not the same one. Even if you cold do that you not get the same channel off of two satellites. As an example USA would only come from one satellite. It is possible you could get TVLand off a different satellite but not off of both at the same time. I know, I have the EA and WA channels are not duplicated even though they are on the satellites.

Yes, I have the DPP separator to "split" the single line coming into the 722 from the Winegard Traveler roof antenna, such that I then can access, say, one program on 119 and one on 129. But as I understand it, the "portables", which in my case could be set up "in the clear" away from trees' interference when it's windy, only put out one signal each, albeit from any of the three satellites.

So my question is, if I had TWO portables, each putting out the signal from the three satellites, and plugged each cable from each portable into one and the other inputs on the back of my 722, with no DPP separator, would that result in my getting same choices for channels as I now have with my one "cable in" to the DPP separator from my current rooftop dish?

My objective is to duplicate the rooftop dish, which is subject to periodic signal interruption, with a setup out in my yard, in the clear-sky area, to duplicate the rooftop antenna's current characteristics.

I am thinking that Brussam's answer above is the answer I'm looking for. So my solution is probably to go through the sometimes-lengthy process of setup of a tripod, 3 LNB, dish which is the same Dish setup I now have on my rooftop of my RV, but without the sweet, automatic signal finder which is so handy as a feature of that Rooftop satellite Dish.

It usually takes me 15 minutes or less to set up and aim our tripod mounted 1000.4 dish, plus check switch time if I switch arcs/LNBF's. Even doing that daily at times doesn't bother me...

I used a tripod for a year or so and I never got good at setting it up. It sometime took me days. Occasionally it came right up. It seems if there was even a bird flying by, it would block my signal. I even used a Dishpointer app on my smart phone.

I used a tripod for a year or so and I never got good at setting it up. It sometime took me days. Occasionally it came right up. It seems if there was even a bird flying by, it would block my signal. I even used a Dishpointer app on my smart phone.

DISH antennas definitely aren't as friendly to point as they used to be. Like you, I'd sometimes hit the signal right off. Other times I'd have to give up and come back to it. It's mostly the software, which is very slow to react to dish adjustments, locks on to wrong satellites, etc.

I finally broke down and bought a used Pathway X2 off EBay. Haven't used it on a trip yet but have played around in the driveway. It's sweet.

I get what the OP is trying to do with the 2 antennas.

In theory it should work. I wouldn't want to spend the money to find out.

I'm concerned with the switch test on dish.

I there is more of a chance of it working on a directv hr24

Those dish pointer apps are absolutely horrible, as long as the skew and elevation are set correctly on the dish you should be able to go to the aiming installation menu on your reciever then turn up the volume on your TV so you can hear it while you're aiming the dish. Then slowly turn the dish on its tripod until you can hear the tuning signal tone coming from the TV.

Those dish pointer apps are just way too inaccurate.

It also is dependent on which portables you want to use. Many, like the Tailgater or X2, require a specific software to operate. That software is only available on the solo receivers like the 211/411.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts