Two Screws Loose (on dish)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ride525

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
SF Bay Area, California
I had a DirecTV dish and HR 21 PVR installed yesterday. It works great.
Except the installer cut my OTA coax out in his "clean-up" efforts.

But my real question is, on the Dish itself there are what looks like three LNB's (but maybe really five?). But underneath where the LNB's are there are two holes. I recall my old Dish Network Dish had two screws there. Did the installer forget to install two screws to hold the LNB's in place on the DirecTV dish arm?

Thank in advance.

I had a DirecTV dish and HR 21 PVR installed yesterday. It works great.
Except the installer cut my OTA coax out in his "clean-up" efforts.

But my real question is, on the Dish itself there are what looks like three LNB's (but maybe really five?). But underneath where the LNB's are there are two holes. I recall my old Dish Network Dish had two screws there. Did the installer forget to install two screws to hold the LNB's in place on the DirecTV dish arm?

Thank in advance.

Is this the old sidecar set up (AT-9) or the newer Slimline (AU-9) ?
If it's the sidecar set up, I have three holes on each part of the sidecar, this is for adjustment, there is one bolt in it to secure it.(each)

Jimbo

Did the installer forget to install two screws to hold the LNB's in place on the DirecTV dish arm?
QUOTE]

Sounds like they did. Makes me wonder if they also forgot to dither the dish also. Either way, when the LNB bolts are installed it will need dithered again.

It's the AU-9 Slimline.

Two holes in the bottom where the LNB's attach to the arm. I think it's missing the two screws to attach.

Edit: I found the manual, see the picture on page 8 here:

http://www.solidsignal.com/manuals/Slimline_Dish_Installation_Manual.pdf

The are two bolts with nuts missing from my installation.

Ride,
You are correct, they should be there.
You have a few options 1) Call D* back out and place the screws or b) go down to the hardware store, buy 2 screws and bolts.
These are fine thread if I remember correctly, I do not know if the hole is threaded or not, you'll have to check first ... if they are make sure its the correct thread (fine thread i think) if it threaded.
If it's not threaded, just get 2 nuts and bolts that fit and bolt it down.
This is what I would do, but I am use to doing this type of stuff, if you are Great :up, if not call D* .
Total cost if you do it : under $1.00 and 1 hour time/ if your hardware store is aways away.
If you call D* to do it, you'll probably need to take time off work to be there when they can make it ....

Jimbo

The bolt and nuts are listed as 8-32 on the link I provided earlier, 1 3/8" length hex head screws.

1. Another poster indicated that perhaps the Dish adjustment should be checked after the bolts were installed.

2. And the cut OTA coax needs to be repaired.

I called the number the installer gave me as a contact but it was out of service. Either he remembered wrong number or the phone number he gave is really out of service. I called the installing company both Saturday and Sunday. No action yet.

Just climb up there and throw in the two bolts. It should take a grand total of 2 seconds. The hole is not threaded. The dish should not need dithering if you are getting a strong signal. You can tune the Slimline with the LNB not bolted down because the LNB is heavy enough as to where the LNB does not move when tuning the dish. You probably want the OTA coax repaired however since he chopped it up.

"Just climb up there and throw in the two bolts."

Maybe easy to do if I had the two bolts and nuts, and wanted to climb up there to do it.
I'd prefer the installer do it right, and check to see dish still has best signal.

Called install company for third time today. Supposedly, someone will contact me today. But I've heard that on Saturday too.

Well it just seems like that would save you time instead of having to take time off of work or whatever and being home. They would cost maybe $1 at the hardware store. Oh well to each his own.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)