Two VIP722's; watch recorded content from one VIP722 on the other VIP722 via ethernet

enigma300

Original poster
Oct 10, 2008
Hello,
I have two (2) VIP722's (one in basement and the other on the 3rd floor). Both are connected to my home network via Ethernet cables to my Linksys router. I was wondering if I can watch recorded content on one VIP722 on the other?

Sometimes there are 3 sporting events all at the same time and obviously I record 2 of them on the basement 722 and record the 3rd program on the upstairs 722. I would like to watch the 3rd program in the basement. How do I do this without having to actually go retrieve the upstairs 722 and physically move it down to the basement? I have researched DishCOMM but that doesnt seem to be the answer.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry if this topic is covered elsewhere...I did a pretty thourough search but found nothing.

I know I could use the the external hard drive feature as an option. I was hoping there was another way to "stream" the content through my home network.

Ethernet is nogo. But if your willing to run a cable anyway, you could run either an HDMI or Component cable. Plug one end into the 722 with the show and the other into the TV where the other 722 is. Of course you just reverse the connections to go the other way.

And some of the home theater crowd would point out that you can buy boxes to convert HDMI to cat5 ethernet cable and vis-versa. That's more than I'd spend but I don't have a house prewired wiith cat5 either. If you do its one way to go.

HDMI is an option, but then I loose the control of the 722 that is on the 3rd floor (I assume the remote I am using in the basement will not control the 722 that is on the 3rd floor).

Since Ethernet over my home network is a nogo, looks like the external hard drive is my only option.

Thanks.

HDMI is an option, but then I loose the control of the 722 that is on the 3rd floor (I assume the remote I am using in the basement will not control the 722 that is on the 3rd floor).

Since Ethernet over my home network is a nogo, looks like the external hard drive is my only option.

Thanks.
I'm a bit confused. You would have to use the remote of the upstairs DVR to control it. You can't use the basement remote to control the upstairs receiver.

With this in mind, you'd either have to bring the upstairs remote downstairs, or get a 2nd remote that controls the upstairs receiver. You'd also have to run a video cable from the upstairs receiver to the downstairs TV.

The concept is easy, just need to do the work if that's what you want.

Do you have a TV2 already connected to the upstairs receiver? If not you can use the downstairs TV as TV2 for the upstairs receiver and connect it with a coax (RG6) or the RCA output from the back of the receiver.

there is a way to do this if you use your noggin. The trick is to have all of your TVs connected to a video amplifier such as the Dish Super home node, or something similiar. Send both tv2 and tv1 out the TV2 ports of both receivers to that amp, and either cable all tvs to that amp or diplex the signals. this way you can watch any tuner on any tv in the house. the remote problem can be solved with buying extra 6.3 remotes. the only downside, other than the work to make it happen, is you cant watch all recordings in HD, but you can watch them.

Using TV2 from upstairs to the basement TV is a nogo because I then loose HD viewing.

As for the remotes...I am assuming that the TV1 infrared signal will not reach through 3 floors of a house (plus it will be trying to control the 722 in the basement).

Thanks for all the help, but it seems that using the external hard drive is the easiest and most cost effective solution. I can just grab my recordings from the 3rd floor 722 and bring the hard drive down to the basement and plug it into that 722. Does the 722 actually transfer at 480 Mb/s (2.0)? I am guessing a 4 hour HD football game will be a huge amount of data (probably over 10 GB).

Maybe one day the 722's will be able to communicate through the home network, but I guess that day is not today.

That would be great if the all the 622/722's in the house would pool their timers/tuners so that either receivers could pick up anything recordings or live programming from the other one.

As for the remotes...I am assuming that the TV1 infrared signal will not reach through 3 floors of a house (plus it will be trying to control the 722 in the basement).
You assume wrong. You can buy an RF remote for TV1. The easiest would be to buy two and set them to different remote codes and put one in each room. Then each room would have a TV1 RF remote for the distant receiver and an IR remote for the local receiver.

My variation of this is that I leave my 622 in single user mode then just put the RF TV1 remote in my pocket and no matter what room I'm in if I turn on the TV I see Dish in HD.

Oh by the way. In one user mode the TV2 RF remote changes the HD signal since there is only one picture on all outputs of the 6/722. This is a way for you to see how the setup works for you before you spend the money on two RF TV1 remotes if needed.

I think he wants HD resolution on the receiving end and they haven't announced a Slingcatcher HD yet. Is even the SD version available for sale yet?

I don't know much about them.... but from browsing around the sling site.... the sling catcher does have component and HDMI out on it. And says it supports up to 1080i.

I don't know much about them.... but from browsing around the sling site.... the sling catcher does have component and HDMI out on it. And says it supports up to 1080i.
They have HDMI in on the Pro and HDMI out on the Catcher but the middle is limited to 480i, so far. But they claim that new software will make HD end to end possible "soon".

Still it's a way to go and a lot of early users claim the picture is very good.

That would be cool to send HD over IP. One could send it over the hardware or wirelessly throughout the house over their own private network if they make that possible.

You can use a UHF remote over long distances if you use a coax line to extend from the antenna jack to the desired location.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could screw with a twisted pair on an ethernet cable to provide that result too.. eh whatever.

HD over these distances is annoyingly expensive, and ethernet cables won't be so nice carrying component/HDMI signals.. ew.

I thought the HD boxes were supposed to have clear QAM modulators! What ever happened to those?!

Would it be possible to build an EHD that would be able to allow two USB inputs and have both receivers connected to the one drive? This way you would not have to physically move the drive between boxes.

Would it be possible to build an EHD that would be able to allow two USB inputs and have both receivers connected to the one drive? This way you would not have to physically move the drive between boxes.
One EHD, one DVR at a time. But you can get the same result if you make or find a USB switch box, but it has to be strictly passive, i.e. no electronics, just wires and a plain ol' switch. Or you can cobble together a little patch panel with USB extension cords. Then you just plug in the proper DVR like long distance operators did back in gandpa's day.

One EHD, one DVR at a time. But you can get the same result if you make or find a USB switch box, but it has to be strictly passive, i.e. no electronics, just wires and a plain ol' switch. Or you can cobble together a little patch panel with USB extension cords. Then you just plug in the proper DVR like long distance operators did back in gandpa's day.

The statement about no electronics is false. The restriction is that it cannot act as a hub. USB can only have one master at a time. There is no restriction that keeps you from creating remote switches that will swap peripherals among PCs. In fact, many exist:

2 PC to 1 USB 2.0 Device AB Switch Box (Printer Scanner etc...)
Newegg.com - SIIG JU-SW4112-S2 USB 2.0 Switch 4-to-1 - Adapters & Gender Changers
IOGear 'Shares' USB Devices at Hi-Speed
Keyspan USB Server - Review, Specs, Prices

etc....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)