Two-way signals using diplexer?

csete

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 26, 2007
I believe I understand diplexers enough to know the answer to this, but I want to verify. I would like to use a diplexer to send the TV2 signal out from the DVR while receiving the signal from an OTA antenna to that same DVR. Given that radio frequencies are a form of alternating current, I believe that should work, but I'd like to make sure.

Can someone please verify that this will work? Are there any "gotchas" that I should be aware of?

Thanks,
Craig

You'll be broadcasting your TV2 output to the neighborhood.

Don't know enough about your setup if it'll work or not....

Is the OTA currently diplexed on your sat line ?

OTA is not diplexed onto the satellite lines. I have two receivers... a 622 and a 722. Both receivers have a separate line entering the house. What I'm considering is bringing in an OTA signal from outside via my old cable connection that is not being used anymore. The cable runs in the house all come together at one junction box. Currently, TV2 from each receiver uses the previous cable runs to that junction and back out to the other TV's in the house. I would like to use those same cable runs to distribute the OTA signal from outside out to the two receivers.

Given that arrangement, what kind of problems might I be causing myself?

You'll be broadcasting your TV2 output to the neighborhood.

Don't know enough about your setup if it'll work or not....

Is the OTA currently diplexed on your sat line ?

Cool you can do that? :eek:

that is so roxxor. :devil:

Gives me so many Ideas, he he.

To the OP from the Diaplexer diagram that I have seen posted around here a few times, It looks like it would work :)

OTA is not diplexed onto the satellite lines. I have two receivers... a 622 and a 722. Both receivers have a separate line entering the house. What I'm considering is bringing in an OTA signal from outside via my old cable connection that is not being used anymore. The cable runs in the house all come together at one junction box. Currently, TV2 from each receiver uses the previous cable runs to that junction and back out to the other TV's in the house. I would like to use those same cable runs to distribute the OTA signal from outside out to the two receivers.

Given that arrangement, what kind of problems might I be causing myself?

DISH Pro 500 & DISH Pro 500 Plus Information Documents | Solid Signal

Several different diagrams for ya -- clicky clicky above :)

Nice. Looks like lots of interesting information. I will do some digging around. Thanks

Diplex the OTA and/or backfeed on the satellite line, use the other cable for the other. Don't try to run OTA and backfeed on the same line unless you can't avoid it.

Sorry but I don't get it, you want to combine OTA and TV2 with diplexers? You use splitters to combine OTA and TV2 but like others said, you will be broadcasting your TV2 signal and it's against FCC rules. Diplexers are to combine satellite signals and either OTA, CATV or UHF/VHF.

Do what Andrewwski said, diplex OTA and the satellite feed and run a line for TV2 or combine TV2 and the satellite feed and use the second cable for OTA.

I finally did enough reading to understand how this all works and now understand that it won't work. Thanks for helping set me straight!

i just want to say... you will "technically" be broadcasting... but in real life, you will not be
trust me... I tried. Using an OTA antenna, I could only get the TV2 picture to go about 15 feet or so and still be able to see it, and through walls I couldn't get anything

Can you use a diplexer with OTA & TV2? Theoretically yes, but it will be very hard to find a diplexer with the correct frequencies. Practically, this makes no sense.

Can you combine OTA & TV2 using splitters? Yes, but unless there is some isolation before the antenna, you would be transmitting your TV2 signal through the neighborhood, which is against FCC rules (as mentioned above), and probably not a good idea in any case.

But you could do this if you have a way to eliminate the TV2 signal from the antenna. There are several ways to do this:
-A notch filter for the TV2 signal (difficult to find, just like the diplexer)
-An amplifier (which has a lot of loss in the reverse direction
-An isolator (which is again pretty hard to find for UHF).
So practically speaking, an amplifier is the only reasonable way to do this. The amplifier has to be between the antenna & the rest of the distribution network. If you've got a preamp on the antenna, for example, this should work pretty well.

The signal won't be strong enough to make a significant broadcast, but you also face the potential of the antenna interfering with the TV2 channel or vise versa.

What about with an amplified antenna. or a inline amp on the line? would that get me say 50ish feet?

I've played a little bit with trying to make tv2 wireless, I didn't mess with it too much but I did get it to go from one side of the room to the next about 30' that was direct line of sight. An amplfier might do good, never tried it.

Another thing I played with was I took about 150' of phone wire and stripped the ends onto a piece of coax stripped out and twisted the ends together (ghetto rig) for the idea of sending tv2 out through existing phone outlets (dead pair). Sure enough I got a decent picture might of been even better if I had soldered the connections. I figured at&t uverse is doing something similar using existing phone outlets.

How about this? Haven't done it, but should work in theory.

Disconnect the backfeeds from the home cable system. Instead, backfeed the TV2 signals back to the dish using diplexers. At the dish, combine the two TV2 signals onto one wire using a splitter in reverse (combiner). Make sure the TV2 signals are on different channels so as not to interfere with each other. Also make sure they are not near any OTA channels you will be receiving (check digital and analog station assignments on antennaweb.org). With the combined signals from TV 2s, run that line from the dish over to the cable demarc where you plan to insert OTA. You can try combining at this point, but you might want to use a Super Home Node instead which will amp the OTA and isolate the TV2 signals from feeding up to the antenna. Then just connect your splitter in the central junction and send TV2 and OTA everywhere on the existing cables, including receivers.

Of course, you could just use diplexers on the satellite lines by splitting the antenna signal outside at the dish and bringing it to the receivers that way.

A diplexer won't do you any good on the existing cable runs since you don't use satellite frequencies on those wires anyway. Might as well try doing it with a splitter. I do that for UHF remotes running remote signal opposite direction of the TV2 signal flow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)